The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

It is a little hard to know if a pup is going to be a high roller at 3 months, but it will certainly teach a pup destined to be a high roller how to properly 'sit' without taking any of their desire away.

Wish I had know about this technique for my Ford pup sired by another FC years ago.......he was destined to be a high roller! He was never properly balanced as a pup and 'conditioned' to the sit command.

I take full credit for it.......looking back now I know it was my own fault, as I was afraid of ruining his wonderful desire. If you look at traditional methods of puppy training.......just think about it a bit, we take them out of their crates and teach them to 'GO' and not 'SIT'.

As soon as I joined my training group in the mornings, I immediately took him out of his box and had friends in my training group throw him ducks. GO GO GO

He never learned to 'sit' and by the time he was 6 months old, he was a monster that was unmanageable. I knew I had a problem and went to many pros for help, but by then it was too late. They were never able to properly 'condition' him to the 'sit' command from that point forward. Unfortunately a dog with enormous potential was unable to live up to it because he never properly learned to 'sit'.

When Bill released his puppy DVD, I got one and watched it immediately realizing that this was what Rip had needed as a pup. I immediately got Rip out and started ALL OVER FROM DAY 1 of Bill's puppy video.

Rip was 4 then and I was able to get enough control of him at the line to run All Age stakes. I have used this technique on every one of my pups since. It will teach them to SIT and not CREEP.

This is why I highly recommend it for anyone who has a retriever pup regardless of whether you just want a hunting dog, hunt test dog or field trial dog. And regardless of whether you will be sending them to a pro or not......I could go on, but in my painful experience it is the only way to start a retriever pup.

Bill's technique is quite unique but you must also pay very close attention to his subtle tips along the way. This is something I missed but have learned by talking to him about the technique.

What is so wonderful about it is that you can taylor the training technique to any type of dog. Soft dogs and high dogs are trained very differently, so pay close attention to Bill when he talks about 'BALANCE'. This is where the art of dog training comes in, and you must notice whether the pup needs pushed in the area of desire or control. When you notice the pup getting discouraged, you then go back to Bill's excitement phase of chasing. With a high pup who is very excited to go, you will use more 'sitting' and teaching them patience. BALANCE BALANCE BALANCE

Good luck in training your retrievers in 2012.....

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    I guess I may be asking too generalized question. I have seen entire training programs for the price of the Hillman video. Seems like a pretty high price to pay to just get a dog ready to send to the trainer. Since I have decided to train myself and with the help of some other experienced individuals it's a high price for a video that teaches a dog to sit. What makes the video so special? And what is formal training? I assume that many have done this without a trainer so what do you suggest after the hillman video other than just sending the dog to a trainer.
    I'm gonna chime in here. First don't get overwhelmed(sp?) on this. Second it depends on what you want out of your dog? As in do you want a well behaved meat dog or do you want a hunt test/trial dog that you hunt? From what I've read on here the basics are the basics and I've heard good things on here about the Hillman stuff. Whether the dog is going to a pro or you're training it, again the basics are the basics. Don't confuse me using the word basics with Lardy's flow chart.

See if there's a HRC club nearby and see if you can show up on a training day to get a better idea. Most of the people I've met through the UKC HRC and the AKC hunt tests have been nice and willing to answer some questions.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

When I first started looking at the Hillmann DVDs, I too wondered why the high price!! But, I took the leap and bought the puppy video first, and boy am I glad I did!! He starts pups very differently than any I have seen before, and it has been worth every dime to me. I have started 2 pups with his methods and have been so happy with the RESULTS....money well spent in my opinion.

If there is anyone that wants to sell their Hillman Puppy DVD, I would like to buy it.

One of the largest values I was able to take away from the video was purely what he doesn't talk about. The use of non verbal cues and body language. Reading your dog is also brought up every time a discussion starts and without the subtle hints and visual referencences in this video it would have taken me much longer to understand what that means.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

I will say this.

You hear all the times Pros say they get a puppy in for training,, and the owner said they didnt do anything with the pup because they didnt want to screw it up.

I think Hillmans DVD gives you a good road to follow to prepair a pup for further traing.

Their are many OPINIONS as to where a dog should be in training BEFORE it starts running Hunt tests!!

Some say its a progression and the steps the various venues use will gradually move the dog along.

Many experienced people dont think ANY dog should be running any tests untill it has been FF'd and is doing a good job with basic handeling. (simple cold blinds both land and water) I happen to agrre with this opinion now after 3dogs.

IMHO the Hillman video Gives a very VISUAL approach to PREPARE a puppy to a lifestyle of learning and training. Its PUPPY TRAINING......
    I dont believe the DVD that is the topic of the thread was in anyway meant to be taken as a Program.... ITS a very inteligent stuctured way to introduce a puppy to mulitude of situations, at the same time have the pup learn also.

Dont get so caught up in the cost of information!
    I believe there was a link given where you can rent the DVD if ya want.. Rent IT!!! and see what YOU think!!!
    I think its pretty amazing how that Puppy,, that is a a nice dog,,but pretty typical in the way it behaves, progresses in 28 DAYS!!!!

I think the Hillman dvd will prepare a pup that can proceede smoothly with Grahm, Lardy ect!! and I bet these Pros would fall all over themselves with excitement,, if owners would take the time to prepare a PUPPY like this BEFORE it starts a Formal training program.

JMHDAO.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

What I took from it ,, was how Steadyness was incorporated very early into the dogs daily routine, and how eagerly the dog accepted the requirement.
    Dint seem to slow him down,,make a "pig" out of him,, the dog just accepted the requirement as a way of life.
    Hillman did it so passivly and in a matter of fact,NON threatening way ,, stressing a Happy wonderful day for the PUPPY!!
    Its a different way of thinking compared to other training opinions.

Many start Steadyness requirements ,,much later in their schedule.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    What I took from it ,, was how Steadyness was incorporated very early into the dogs daily routine, and how eagerly the dog accepted the requirement.
    Dint seem to slow him down,,make a "pig" out of him,, the dog just accepted the requirement as a way of life.
    Hillman did it so passivly and in a matter of fact,NON threatening way ,, stressing a Happy wonderful day for the PUPPY!!
    Its a different way of thinking compared to other training opinions.

Many start Steadyness requirements ,,much later in their schedule.

Gooser
    Gooser I totally agree with what you posted! My pup is a few weeks in and sits and waits to be released! It is a beautiful thing! I remember reading Ted's post several years ago about sit means sit....does it really? and this has prepared my pup for that type of learning! My 4 month old Pirate girl was the star of our training group today.......everyone was amazed about how well she is doing as we threw two ducks for her at about 75-100 yards and she just pinned them!!!!

Proud papa regards!!!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post

I think the Hillman dvd will prepare a pup that can proceede smoothly with Grahm, Lardy ect!! and I bet these Pros would fall all over themselves with excitement,, if owners would take the time to prepare a PUPPY like this BEFORE it starts a Formal training program.

JMHDAO.
    Why change the training protocol. don't you think that further training could continue in the same vein?

John
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

What Change?

Or do you just have that infamous stirrin stick out a yers!

Like I said;

Pros seem to complain a lot of owners that dont do ANYTHING with their puppies before they bring them to thier kennels..... NOTHING......

I think this DVD provides a visual example of a good preperation for a pup.

I dont think it has anything to do with a particular program

If Lardy or Gram has a particular Puppy (remember this is what the DVD is TITLED) PROTOCOL,,then I assume they would have particular sugestions

The DVD uses a 10 week old Puppy,, and shows a 28 day progression!!
    28 days SIR!!!!! Its PUPPY TRAINING!!!!!!!
    Gooser