The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

The cost is not that big of a deal since I have already bought the thing and am just waiting for it to get here. I plan on doing the training myself. I would like to get Bailey infolved in field trials, but I have no delusions of really competing with the pros... I just don't want to be one of those guys whos dog sits in a kennel from one duck season to the next. To be honest... I really just want a hunting buddy

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    The cost is not that big of a deal since I have already bought the thing and am just waiting for it to get here. I plan on doing the training myself. I would like to get Bailey infolved in field trials, but I have no delusions of really competing with the pros... I just don't want to be one of those guys whos dog sits in a kennel from one duck season to the next. To be honest... I really just want a hunting buddy
    Your on your way to a new habit and don't even know it ...enjoy the ride
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    What Change?
    Or do you just have that infamous stirrin stick out a yers!

Like I said;

Pros seem to complain a lot of owners that dont do ANYTHING with their puppies before they bring them to thier kennels..... NOTHING......

I think this DVD provides a visual example of a good preperation for a pup.

I dont think it has anything to do with a particular program

If Lardy or Gram has a particular Puppy (remember this is what the DVD is TITLED) PROTOCOL,,then I assume they would have particular sugestions

The DVD uses a 10 week old Puppy,, and shows a 28 day progression!!
    28 days SIR!!!!! Its PUPPY TRAINING!!!!!!!
    Gooser
    The Hillman training protocol to the point that it has been shown thus far, does not seem to me to be strictly intended to be used as a precursor for a conventional Carr based " yard" or "transition" program.....

It depicts a kinder and gentler approach to training and we in the games would be well served with another video by Bill showing the balance of the yard, the swim by and transition.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all of your responsed. Why is it that I feel like the foreign exchange student who get's to his new country and realizes that he forgot to learn the language. I guess the learning curve has to start somewhere. Seems like a lot of technical jargon involved with a dog picking something up and bringing it back

John!!
    With all due respect!

The DVD we are discussing is the retriever PUPPY TRAINING DVD.

Its PUPPY Training.. NOT Transistion Dogs,,, application of FORCE,,
    Most of waht is shown in the PUPPY DVD is what is included in the section titled Socialization and introduction to Field of Mike Lardys Flow chart.

Some steps in Lardys Basics are included up to about Pile work.

Its the very Basic NO Pressure part of a weeks old puppy showing progress for 28 days!!! Its nothing more than that!! Why try and make it more than what it is???

For average guy that has just brought his First Puppy home,, and wants to get started off on the right foot,, I think it is a very good VISUAL (not LECTURE) DVD.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Anyone that knows my dog realized he had suped up drive from the day I brought him home. I still struggle at times to make his third point of contact remain on the ground between birds. Strictly 100% taught by his rookie owner and trainer.

The new addition we are picking up has the potential to be a gas drinker who could chit flames leaving the line. Since my goal is to start off from day 1 with the Grand and Master Natiomal in mind, why would I do the same things I did with Hammer and expect different results?

Each dog is different and has individual needs. Why oppose a different method that has proven the results are positive while keeping the pup's spirit high?

If this doesn't work, I guess we'll adapt and find the things that make him tick.
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

SPLASH EM!!!

AAAAAAAAAA MENNNNNNNN Brother!!

I'm right there with Ya ridin that very same Bus!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I just got the DVD and viewed and really like the approach........I hope to be using it on my future pup......I have only trained my current dog and really wish I would have had this tool.

John!!
    With all due respect!

The DVD we are discussing is the retriever PUPPY TRAINING DVD.

Its PUPPY Training.. NOT Transistion Dogs,,, application of FORCE,,
    Most of waht is shown in the PUPPY DVD is what is included in the section titled Socialization and introduction to Field of Mike Lardys Flow chart.

Some steps in Lardys Basics are included up to about Pile work.

Its the very Basic NO Pressure part of a weeks old puppy showing progress for 28 days!!! Its nothing more than that!! Why try and make it more than what it is???

For average guy that has just brought his First Puppy home,, and wants to get started off on the right foot,, I think it is a very good VISUAL (not LECTURE) DVD.

Gooser
    Mike, what we seem to have here is a "failure to communicate"

When the words
    No...........................Not the end ......................It's just the beginning
    Flashed across the screen at the end of the Hillman puppy video...
    I did not say to myself. "Oh Good, I can now revert to a Carr based program for the balance of my dogs training".

What I did say was "I wish Bill would do a sequel"

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 12-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

What I took from it ,, was how Steadyness was incorporated very early into the dogs daily routine, and how eagerly the dog accepted the requirement.
    Dint seem to slow him down,,make a "pig" out of him,, the dog just accepted the requirement as a way of life.
    Hillman did it so passivly and in a matter of fact,NON threatening way ,, stressing a Happy wonderful day for the PUPPY!!
    Its a different way of thinking compared to other training opinions.

Many start Steadyness requirements ,,much later in their schedule.

Gooser
    Agree Hillman not a program. It is a new approach to starting your puppy. You would be amazed at what your pup can do if you just played Traffic cop!!! Steadiness is what we are all after and this DVD shows you a new approach to achieving that. The benefit will be when you start Lardy or whoevers program you choose and your pup has all this into him. If you are dedicated your pup will be sitting steady, waiting until you put your arm out and then on your command go for the bumper. It is great!! Steadiness is the key and I have a go getter (Chief) and he is doing this. You can't go wrong trying the approach!!!
    IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray