RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

33K views 146 replies 50 participants last post by  mattm337 
#1 ·
for those of you who are familiar, how far does the video go in the development of the pup. It is quite pricey and also wanted to know if it is worth the $$$

#125 ·
I am also impressed by Bill's methods. The one faint concern I have is that the pup is steadied early, but still is the center of attention and learns that it will always get the retrieve if it is steady. I wonder if it might not be helpful ( for hunting situations, honoring and those interested in running British style trials) if sometimes other dogs get the retrieve as sort of expectation management (dog gets the retrieve if it is steady AND the handler asks it to do the job).

#128 ·
This thread has been great. I'm starting my dog (about 10months old) off with this program, somewhat modified since she already knows sit, down, stay with no distractions, today. I've watched the video a few times and Hillman's method seems more appropriate/less harsh than others (although I haven't watch another puppy dvd). Thus far in our training, we haven't had to use much force (except for nipping) and I think the transition to this "program" should be easy for us. We'll see how we make out...

#129 ·
I'm not a big fan of sticking a pup, especially early on. You can usually tell in videos where they are obviously cringing with the whip out.

#132 · (Edited)
Why change the training protocol. don't you think that further training could continue in the same vein?

John

Much to my satisfaction, Bill ,on Jan 31,2012, began to post THE follow up video segments for the continuation of training "in the same vein".......to be used for training after the puppy video and traffic cop left off.

As of 3/16 he had posted 9 of them....

http://www.billhillmann.net/basic-training-lessons/

Thanks Bill,

john

#142 · (Edited)
With the soon to be comming of his new basics video there is now no reason not to continue training your young dog, as I sugested earlier in this thread, "in the same vein". Right Mike;)

john

#135 ·
The progression is going to be almost imperceptible to the puppy.
- Bill Hillmann
Each training day is the same as the previous day, except for the tiny changes that depend upon the quality of pup's work. Repetition is key to the pup's learning. Bill calls this practice.

Bill presents his philosophy for training a "puppy". This philosophy is entirely qualitative, not quantitative. It really has nothing to do with the number of days, weeks, months or years old the puppy/dog is. And it really is not about a specific number of days of training either. You don't measure or determine your progress by counting anything. Everything depends on the quality of the pup's/dog's understanding of skills and concepts that are taught. Of course, the quality of the pup's understanding will depend upon the trainer's ability to teach. It is likely that you will progress at a slower rate than Bill Hillmann does because you will be learning and practicing this new philosophy and the methods for implementing this philosophy.

The philosophy that Bill teaches in the DVD is applicable to every interaction that you have with your pup, whether you are conducting a formal training session as demonstrated on the DVD, or during informal daily interaction, which is not demonstrated on the DVD. The pup's attitude, behavior and skill level reflects the sum total of all your interactions with your pup.

So, JackH, your goal will be to progress through Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc. of the material on the DVD based entirely upon the advancement of your pup's attitude, skills and behaviors and the advancement of your attitude, skills and behaviors as a trainer.

The duration and frequency of training sessions will be limited by both you and your pup's capacity to maintain optimal energy and attitude.

Jim

#136 ·
I have watched and trained all of my young dogs with Bill Hillman's DVD Training a retriever puppy with Bill Hillman. I think $129 is well worth the price. It is pretty basic, but there isn't enough that can be said about having a dogs with great basics and a solid foundation. Bill has had a lot of success in the derby and I think you can learn from this DVD.

#137 ·
Good thread, I just read the first five pages, so if this question has already been addressed I apologize. I was just wondering if the Hillman video is similar to Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings"? I have a new pup on the way, they were just born yesterday, so wohoo here we go go again! I really liked Sound Beginnings and used it with my last two dogs. At first I was skeptical about a treat based program but it worked so well, especially easy to get a two-sided sit with it, that now I love it. As far as I'm concerened, the serious amateur trainer should watch and understand as many programs as possible, watch every DVD available and read as much as you can, you can't have too much information

John

#140 ·
It is very different from Mertens. I used Mertens with my first three dogs and Hillman with the most recent. I started at 10 weeks or so. Hillman is a daily training sequence that resulted, in my case, with a steady dog that trains with a good attitude, and is pretty obedient. He is about 7 months old and really fun to train. The most important things I got from it are balance in training and "keep 'em happy". The training increments from day to day are very small. Each day builds on the previous one. There is no set schedule set. He just adds a little bit more to each lesson each day. It is elegant in its simplicity and easy to understand. Well worth the money for the knowledge Bill is sharing.

#141 ·
Ive watched both Hillman and Mertens. I had been doing Mertens program with my pup until my Hillmans Dvd came in the mail and i like the HIllmans much better. It more structured it seems and fits ME better. I have seen the numbers some of yall have broke down that says each training "day" last a few actual day before moving on to the next. My question is , If you feel your pup hasnt fully "grasp" what your doing should you hold back until you feel he understands it? I know on Mertens dvd she says that but i dont remember hearing Hillman mention anything about what to do if the pup isnt ready to move to the next progression or day. Thanks

#145 ·
As far as I know, they were posting most of their more recent videos at http://www.billhillmann.net/blog/

You can go through the archives there. It hasn't been updated much lately as they were preparing for the video, but there's a lot of great stuff there as he seems to be going more and more in his own direction.

#146 ·
As far as I know, they were posting most of their more recent videos at http://www.billhillmann.net/blog/

You can go through the archives there. It hasn't been updated much lately as they were preparing for the video, but there's a lot of great stuff there as he seems to be going more and more in his own direction.
Yea if you'll note those videos are embedded YouTube Videos on Mrs. Mary's YouTube Channel I listed above. ;)

They upload them to their YouTube Channel and then embed them on Bill's Blog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.