The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I am of the same opinion as Steve Shaver. I had, still have, a copy of the DVD. I ordered a gift copy of the puppy DVD for a Christmas gift for someone a couple years back and asked about this when I ordered it. There was one day when Nick was his normal self, training pretty well I think. Then a few seconds of video time later he's suddenly ears and tail down. IMO he's gotten a correction the viewers didn't see. I thought that was an example of training, "Behind the scenes." Mary said that she had had hours and hours of video to edit and couldn't put it all in the commercial product. I thought/still think that whatever actions that Nick made which prompted Bill to make a correction and what that correction was, would be/is important to trainers learning what the standards are and how they are to be upheld.

I think we probably saw most if not all of the training sessions, just not all of each session.
    That makes total sense. What's the full time of the video. If each session were "only" 15 minutes long, and you presented all of each session in the final product with 28 sessions would be 7 hours long.

BEST thing about Hillman's DVD is it makes you want to go out and get a puppy! That's what I remember most from watching (a borrowed) copy. I know I'll be buying one when time to start another one.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    A few folks did address that in this thread. Posts 74 and 80 were ones where I just ran a few numbers.
    Sorry, just trying to help.

Its OBVIOUS the dog matures more than what he would in a CONSECUTIVE 28 day period of time.

I do believe however, that the pup has a pretty good grasp of Steady,, Sit,, Here,, and the leash,, at a very early age.

At the end of the Video,, in the credits ,, it says FILMING was done between 12 -30- 06 thru 3 -15-07
    Approx 70 days.

Remember the dog would have been teething during this time frame.

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 12-30-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I mean if Ya think about it.

Baseball!!!

If Some guy stood in one place and Just tried to teach Ya about baseball!!

Ya just cant get the intricacies about the details that go into playin the Game.

Ya really need Visual aids! The Cheerleaders,, the Barber shop quartettes.

How about tryin to explain how Ya move a guy off the plate.

Chris would prolly walk down from the mound, and politely ask the batter to kindly step back a foot or two PLEASE,, and then whaen Back on the Mound tell him Thank You!!!

Whilst Fallon would try to understand all lifes little details,, and how it has personally affected the batters relationships with overbearing California girls!!! He's just throw him all balls and walk him in a Kinder,, Gentler way!!

Now,, Lets watch Uncle Bill ON FILM,, Take the Ball,, spit on it,, Grab it by just the laces with his hairy knuckles that drag the ground,, haul off and Pitch that thing ,smakin the batter right in the Jimmy!!

That VISUAL makes it all the more clear a WHY YA DONT CROWD the PLATE!!!

ITS ALLLL VISUAL!!!!!!!!! Just wouldnt be the same just bein lectured about it!!

Goosers kinda a visual guy!!

6 Pages!!!!
    Most of life's little details are a little more complicated than you would have us believe. Just ask Al, Izzy and Ari

http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/txt/al.html

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 12-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I just asked Bill to read the last new posts on page 11. He told me that T Pines had a really good insight and feeling for what would seem obvious. Nick was a member of the family, took walks, got caught nabbing food off the table, was quieted when he barked incessantly, reprimanded when he chewed on Bill's best boots, got to watch TV in Bill's lap, rode in the front seat when Bill went to the grocery store and a lot of other things that helped to build a relationship conducive to the training process. Bill also commended Chris Atkinson in his mathematical skills. If we had not edited any of the training everyone would have had to suffer through almost 13 hours of video material, so people that think some parts of the training sessions were edited out are correct. The material that was shown was the material that best displays the training process. As it was the DVD was around three hrs long. Bill is hoping Julie R. gets a puppy soon because she had the perfect reaction to his video. Bill reminds us all the time that the puppy video represents a philosophy of training and is not limited or defined by age or numbers of sessions.
    Fill your mind with those things
    that are good and that deserve praise:
    things that are true, noble, right, pure,
    lovely and honorable. Phil 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Bill hopes they don't.

If we all follow this 'plan', Bill will not sell any dvds and there will be no incentive to make more in the future.

Go buy the thing so we can all see what comes next after the 28 days.
    No I plan to buy one next pay or the pay after. Felt it was so good. Whether I get another puppy is another matter. Three is enough and Sometimes my youngest member of the family has other ideas????
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

One more comment on the video... The one big thing I am taking away and is how positive bill is with the pup. I have watched several other videos and they focus way more on correction and some on praise. As you watch the video you don't see any harsh words or negative body language. This is something that most videos don't teach. That's the the incredible thing about the video. I have learned way more from watching how Bill stands and gestures than what he is saying, which is important too.

One more thing. I can't say enough about Mary... I have had a few q's and emailed her for clarification and she has responded right away and usually quite in-depth answers to my q's. You can tell they are really good people and want to help.

I can't wait for another video on the more formal obedience and file work vein.

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    One more comment on the video... The one big thing I am taking away and is how positive bill is with the pup. I have watched several other videos and they focus way more on correction and some on praise. As you watch the video you don't see any harsh words or negative body language. This is something that most videos don't teach. That's the the incredible thing about the video. I have learned way more from watching how Bill stands and gestures than what he is saying, which is important too.

One more thing. I can't say enough about Mary... I have had a few q's and emailed her for clarification and she has responded right away and usually quite in-depth answers to my q's. You can tell they are really good people and want to help.

I can't wait for another video on the more formal obedience and file work vein.
    That was what I liked about it too; the pup is not only absorbing stuff from what must seem like mostly play to him; he's also learning how to learn and realizing his lessons and being with his human are the most fun part of his day. I'm not one of those all-positive believers--I do think corrections and consequences are necessary later in formal training; just not necessary for little pups. About the only thing I correct for is biting. I think, later when you do introduce consequences for disobedience to known commands, they handle it fine because by then they love training.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by maryhill View Post
    I just asked Bill to read the last new posts on page 11. He told me that T Pines had a really good insight and feeling for what would seem obvious. Nick was a member of the family, took walks, got caught nabbing food off the table, was quieted when he barked incessantly, reprimanded when he chewed on Bill's best boots, got to watch TV in Bill's lap, rode in the front seat when Bill went to the grocery store and a lot of other things that helped to build a relationship conducive to the training process. Bill also commended Chris Atkinson in his mathematical skills. If we had not edited any of the training everyone would have had to suffer through almost 13 hours of video material, so people that think some parts of the training sessions were edited out are correct. The material that was shown was the material that best displays the training process. As it was the DVD was around three hrs long. Bill is hoping Julie R. gets a puppy soon because she had the perfect reaction to his video. Bill reminds us all the time that the puppy video represents a philosophy of training and is not limited or defined by age or numbers of sessions.

Hi Mary
    Thanks for chiming in and for the info! Thank you and Bill for a great puppy program!

Chris