The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

I think that there is also a website whereBill comments on videos sent in by people training their pups following his methods, but I can not find it again. Could someone please advise me where it can be found?

http://www.findretrievers.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24

Look for a link under Bill Hillman's Balanced Retriever or something similar.
    SHR Madej's Cyanocobalamin (B)
    Don't ask about the name; it's a Boykin thing

Thank you for the quick reply!

You're quite welcome. It's definitely an area to take a look at, though it's been a bit slow the past couple of months.
    SHR Madej's Cyanocobalamin (B)
    Don't ask about the name; it's a Boykin thing

Just ordered the new Traffic Cop DVD......looking forward to it!!!

I am also impressed by Bill's methods. The one faint concern I have is that the pup is steadied early, but still is the center of attention and learns that it will always get the retrieve if it is steady. I wonder if it might not be helpful ( for hunting situations, honoring and those interested in running British style trials) if sometimes other dogs get the retrieve as sort of expectation management (dog gets the retrieve if it is steady AND the handler asks it to do the job).

Melanie Foster

Quote Originally Posted by CSX View Post
    I am also impressed by Bill's methods. The one faint concern I have is that the pup is steadied early, but still is the center of attention and learns that it will always get the retrieve if it is steady. I wonder if it might not be helpful ( for hunting situations, honoring and those interested in running British style trials) if sometimes other dogs get the retrieve as sort of expectation management (dog gets the retrieve if it is steady AND the handler asks it to do the job).
    Expectation management? That's a new one. Bill is addressing puppy training. You can get to steadying a dog with others retrieving when it's a little older.

I think the difference here is the pup is not steadied by traditional means meaning little or no aversives. What takes the drive out of pups is collar corrections for breaking. Think about it, the pup is taking off to retrieve the bumper just as he has always done and WHAP!, leash correction (or some type of correction). The pup associates the correction for retrieving instead of not sitting. If the pup is just sitting patiently, then the retrieve becomes a reward for sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by CSX View Post
    Last edited by dpate; 01-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.

This thread has been great. I'm starting my dog (about 10months old) off with this program, somewhat modified since she already knows sit, down, stay with no distractions, today. I've watched the video a few times and Hillman's method seems more appropriate/less harsh than others (although I haven't watch another puppy dvd). Thus far in our training, we haven't had to use much force (except for nipping) and I think the transition to this "program" should be easy for us. We'll see how we make out...

I'm not a big fan of sticking a pup, especially early on. You can usually tell in videos where they are obviously cringing with the whip out.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam