The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Some of my absolute favorite experiences of the Field Trial game have been the times I was campaigning Bus in derbies. Just about all that we ran, Bill was there running two dogs. "Punch" is the one that stands out. The other was a female whose name I've forgotten.

Bill has a very cool style. He's very approachable and open to sharing his thoughts. I'd gotten to know Bill a bit when he competed with Cutter in an event I helped put on a few years prior.

At those derbies, my first whitecoat adventures with my first non-Amish dog, Bill shared all sorts of training ideas and thoughts. All I had to do was ask.

He also was a great one to watch how he took the dogs off the truck, how he approached the holding blind, how he cued the dogs at the mat. I don't recall ever seeing him wear white at the line in the derbies.

Shayne always told me that the cool guys didn't wear white to the line in the derby. (I always wore white. )

Here's a funny thing. That sentence in bold...where I could not remember the other dog... He was a chocolate. His name is Nick! He's the star of the DVD Training a Retriever puppy by Bill Hillmann! haha!

Chris

Here's a funny thing. That sentence in bold...where I could not remember the other dog... He was a chocolate. His name is Nick! He's the star of the DVD Training a Retriever puppy by Bill Hillmann! haha!

Chris

That's too cool! I looked him up on EntryExpress.net this morning too after watching the DVD this weekend. He's been pretty BUSY!

If you're logged in - https://www.entryexpress.net/LoggedI...spx?mdi=111865

Reg Name: Hawkeye's Victory at Sea

Why change the training protocol. don't you think that further training could continue in the same vein?

John

Much to my satisfaction, Bill ,on Jan 31,2012, began to post THE follow up video segments for the continuation of training "in the same vein".......to be used for training after the puppy video and traffic cop left off.

As of 3/16 he had posted 9 of them....

http://www.billhillmann.net/basic-training-lessons/

Thanks Bill,

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 03-18-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Thanks, this skews my calcs done earlier just a touch. Same general concept though... On average a session is taped every 2.75 days using the above numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by maryhill View Post
    I just asked Bill to read the last new posts on page 11. He told me that T Pines had a really good insight and feeling for what would seem obvious. Nick was a member of the family, took walks, got caught nabbing food off the table, was quieted when he barked incessantly, reprimanded when he chewed on Bill's best boots, got to watch TV in Bill's lap, rode in the front seat when Bill went to the grocery store and a lot of other things that helped to build a relationship conducive to the training process. Bill also commended Chris Atkinson in his mathematical skills. If we had not edited any of the training everyone would have had to suffer through almost 13 hours of video material, so people that think some parts of the training sessions were edited out are correct. The material that was shown was the material that best displays the training process. As it was the DVD was around three hrs long. Bill is hoping Julie R. gets a puppy soon because she had the perfect reaction to his video. Bill reminds us all the time that the puppy video represents a philosophy of training and is not limited or defined by age or numbers of sessions.
    I know I am digging up a very old thread, but I just had a few questions. My copy is on its way to me in the mail right now, and I am getting a pup in August. Does Bill suggest you train session 1 on day 1, then session 2 on day 3 etc, with the normal things that maryhill mentioned everyday as a normal part of creating the relationship between you and the dog? Can you just repeat session 1 on day 2 before moving on? I am guessing it all depends on the dogs progression. I know repetition is key, just wondering how that comes about with just a 15 minute training session every other day or so. What exactly is he doing those 2.75 days between each taped training session? Repeating the previous session for repetition? Maybe I am misunderstanding some of these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    I know I am digging up a very old thread, but I just had a few questions. My copy is on its way to me in the mail right now, and I am getting a pup in August. Does Bill suggest you train session 1 on day 1, then session 2 on day 3 etc, with the normal things that maryhill mentioned everyday as a normal part of creating the relationship between you and the dog? Can you just repeat session 1 on day 2 before moving on? I am guessing it all depends on the dogs progression. I know repetition is key, just wondering how that comes about with just a 15 minute training session every other day or so. What exactly is he doing those 2.75 days between each taped training session? Repeating the previous session for repetition? Maybe I am misunderstanding some of these posts.
    Read the part in red that you quoted. He does not repeat the day 1 training session on day two. Be patient and when you get the DVD watch the first 15 days or so, then go back and watch the days again before you do that session. Its really just hanging out and interacting with the dog between sessions. Its hard to imagine that it worls but it does.

The progression is going to be almost imperceptible to the puppy.
    - Bill Hillmann
    Each training day is the same as the previous day, except for the tiny changes that depend upon the quality of pup's work. Repetition is key to the pup's learning. Bill calls this practice.

Bill presents his philosophy for training a "puppy". This philosophy is entirely qualitative, not quantitative. It really has nothing to do with the number of days, weeks, months or years old the puppy/dog is. And it really is not about a specific number of days of training either. You don't measure or determine your progress by counting anything. Everything depends on the quality of the pup's/dog's understanding of skills and concepts that are taught. Of course, the quality of the pup's understanding will depend upon the trainer's ability to teach. It is likely that you will progress at a slower rate than Bill Hillmann does because you will be learning and practicing this new philosophy and the methods for implementing this philosophy.

The philosophy that Bill teaches in the DVD is applicable to every interaction that you have with your pup, whether you are conducting a formal training session as demonstrated on the DVD, or during informal daily interaction, which is not demonstrated on the DVD. The pup's attitude, behavior and skill level reflects the sum total of all your interactions with your pup.

So, JackH, your goal will be to progress through Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc. of the material on the DVD based entirely upon the advancement of your pup's attitude, skills and behaviors and the advancement of your attitude, skills and behaviors as a trainer.

The duration and frequency of training sessions will be limited by both you and your pup's capacity to maintain optimal energy and attitude.

Jim

I have watched and trained all of my young dogs with Bill Hillman's DVD Training a retriever puppy with Bill Hillman. I think $129 is well worth the price. It is pretty basic, but there isn't enough that can be said about having a dogs with great basics and a solid foundation. Bill has had a lot of success in the derby and I think you can learn from this DVD.

Good thread, I just read the first five pages, so if this question has already been addressed I apologize. I was just wondering if the Hillman video is similar to Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings"? I have a new pup on the way, they were just born yesterday, so wohoo here we go go again! I really liked Sound Beginnings and used it with my last two dogs. At first I was skeptical about a treat based program but it worked so well, especially easy to get a two-sided sit with it, that now I love it. As far as I'm concerened, the serious amateur trainer should watch and understand as many programs as possible, watch every DVD available and read as much as you can, you can't have too much information

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Good thread, I just read the first five pages, so if this question has already been addressed I apologize. I was just wondering if the Hillman video is similar to Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings"? I have a new pup on the way, they were just born yesterday, so wohoo here we go go again! I really liked Sound Beginnings and used it with my last two dogs. At first I was skeptical about a treat based program but it worked so well, especially easy to get a two-sided sit with it, that now I love it. As far as I'm concerened, the serious amateur trainer should watch and understand as many programs as possible, watch every DVD available and read as much as you can, you can't have too much information

John

Wayne should be able to answer that question soon.

If I'm not mistaken he just switched his pup "Rowdy" from Mertens to Hillman

Time will tell how they compliment each other.

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I've not seen the Hillman video. I can recommend the Danny Farmer & Judy Aycock video and the Evan Graham videos.