The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Good thread, I just read the first five pages, so if this question has already been addressed I apologize. I was just wondering if the Hillman video is similar to Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings"? I have a new pup on the way, they were just born yesterday, so wohoo here we go go again! I really liked Sound Beginnings and used it with my last two dogs. At first I was skeptical about a treat based program but it worked so well, especially easy to get a two-sided sit with it, that now I love it. As far as I'm concerened, the serious amateur trainer should watch and understand as many programs as possible, watch every DVD available and read as much as you can, you can't have too much information

John
    It is very different from Mertens. I used Mertens with my first three dogs and Hillman with the most recent. I started at 10 weeks or so. Hillman is a daily training sequence that resulted, in my case, with a steady dog that trains with a good attitude, and is pretty obedient. He is about 7 months old and really fun to train. The most important things I got from it are balance in training and "keep 'em happy". The training increments from day to day are very small. Each day builds on the previous one. There is no set schedule set. He just adds a little bit more to each lesson each day. It is elegant in its simplicity and easy to understand. Well worth the money for the knowledge Bill is sharing.

Ive watched both Hillman and Mertens. I had been doing Mertens program with my pup until my Hillmans Dvd came in the mail and i like the HIllmans much better. It more structured it seems and fits ME better. I have seen the numbers some of yall have broke down that says each training "day" last a few actual day before moving on to the next. My question is , If you feel your pup hasnt fully "grasp" what your doing should you hold back until you feel he understands it? I know on Mertens dvd she says that but i dont remember hearing Hillman mention anything about what to do if the pup isnt ready to move to the next progression or day. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Much to my satisfaction, Bill ,on Jan 31,2012, began to post THE follow up video segments for the continuation of training "in the same vein".......to be used for training after the puppy video and traffic cop left off.

As of 3/16 he had posted 9 of them....

http://www.billhillmann.net/basic-training-lessons/

Thanks Bill,

john
    With the soon to be comming of his new basics video there is now no reason not to continue training your young dog, as I sugested earlier in this thread, "in the same vein". Right Mike

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 12-08-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Much to my satisfaction, Bill ,on Jan 31,2012, began to post THE follow up video segments for the continuation of training "in the same vein".......to be used for training after the puppy video and traffic cop left off.

As of 3/16 he had posted 9 of them....

http://www.billhillmann.net/basic-training-lessons/

Thanks Bill,

john
    John, I'm sure their will be plenty of additional videos to come.

I believe anyone with a fire breathing retriever puppy would do that dog a disservice not using Bill Hillman's material. Imagine that little fire breather sitting calmly watching birds down then unleashing that dog's God given talents.

I like to start our little ones with my wife doing crate training, house manners while using Sound Beginnings material. As things progress we move to Bill Hillman's puppy program. I'm thinking Bill prob wouldn't have any problem interspersing treat training in house while working on his puppy program.

I like Bill's "The Fetch Command" much more than the fetch command on the later part of the original "puppy" DVD.

I think all of DVD's including upcoming ones with the additional blog and U-tube info make for an amazing ever expanding training philosophy. I feel my dogs are ready to stay and train at home or excel with a professional trainer.

I truly believe this training method just feels right and fair to the amazing animals we are molding. It's all about "Balance".

Also remember "Never get mad a puppy!!" (sometimes hard to do) or any of our older retrieving buddies.

My wife Mary thinks Bill should have said "Never get mad at a puppy or your wife" in the original puppy DVD.
    Last edited by drbobsd; 12-08-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Bob

http://lonewillowkennel.com/at-stud.html

A Sportsman is gracious in defeat, humble in victory and appreciates the opportunity to compete. HPW

A lot of the first videos posted on their YouTube Channel have been removed. Mrs. Mary said b/c those were going to the Basics DVD. They still have a lot left there on the channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/maryhill444

As far as I know, they were posting most of their more recent videos at http://www.billhillmann.net/blog/

You can go through the archives there. It hasn't been updated much lately as they were preparing for the video, but there's a lot of great stuff there as he seems to be going more and more in his own direction.
    SHR Madej's Cyanocobalamin (B)
    Don't ask about the name; it's a Boykin thing

Quote Originally Posted by mattm337 View Post
    As far as I know, they were posting most of their more recent videos at http://www.billhillmann.net/blog/

You can go through the archives there. It hasn't been updated much lately as they were preparing for the video, but there's a lot of great stuff there as he seems to be going more and more in his own direction.
    Yea if you'll note those videos are embedded YouTube Videos on Mrs. Mary's YouTube Channel I listed above.

They upload them to their YouTube Channel and then embed them on Bill's Blog.

I understand that. Was trying to point out they're easier to access through the blog.
    SHR Madej's Cyanocobalamin (B)
    Don't ask about the name; it's a Boykin thing