The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    The cost is not that big of a deal since I have already bought the thing and am just waiting for it to get here. I plan on doing the training myself. I would like to get Bailey infolved in field trials, but I have no delusions of really competing with the pros... I just don't want to be one of those guys whos dog sits in a kennel from one duck season to the next. To be honest... I really just want a hunting buddy
    You will have fun. Enjoy!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Mike, what we seem to have here is a "failure to communicate"

When the words
    No...........................Not the end ......................It's just the beginning
    Flashed across the screen at the end of the Hillman puppy video...
    I did not say to myself. "Oh Good, I can now revert to a Carr based program for the balance of my dogs training".

What I did say was "I wish that Bill would do a sequel"

john
    But there was no sequel at that time. So did you wing it on your own trying to do it the way you thought Bill would, did you transition to another program, or did you do something else?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    But there was no sequel at that time. So did you wing it on your own trying to do it the way you thought Bill would, did you transition to another program, or did you do something else?
    We are winging it...... With my new puppy I am superimposing the Hillman stuff over a lower intensity version(2's, 3's, with little or no 4's) of the TRT material and tempering it with 50 years of experience.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

We are winging it...... With my new puppy I am superimposing the Hillman stuff over a lower intensity version(2's, 3's, with little or no 4's) of the TRT material and tempering it with 50 years of experience.

john
    Are you suggesting that someone new to training, who is just learning the jargon, and not having 50 years of experience wing it?

Would they be better off winging it than transitioning to Lardy's TRT?

Do you consider Lardy's TRT high intensity (4's, 5's, and 6's)?

I follow Lardy's TRT and spend virtually all of my time on 3 L, M, and Hs with three different dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Are you suggesting that someone new to training, who is just learning the jargon, and not having 50 years of experience wing it?

Would they be better off winging it than transitioning to Lardy's TRT?

Do you consider Lardy's TRT high intensity (4's, 5's, and 6's)?

I follow Lardy's TRT and spend virtually all of my time on 3 L, M, and Hs with three different dogs.
    What I am saying is that they(someone new to training) might be better off If they could continue in the same vein of the first 28 days of Hillman with another 28 or so more days, than they would be changing to some other program , and this includes the more popular of the Carr based ones.
    This is what I said about that early on in this thread http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...04&postcount=3

You ask me what I did since there is yet no sequil, not what I suggested someone new do.....and I told you what I did.

I consider 5 and 6 on the high end no matter
    If you revisit TRT you will find Mike says that with the dogs he was demonstrating in that DVD he used a higher intensities when implementing the program than you say that do with your dogs.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 12-26-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

John

You never did answer:

What Change?

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

What I am saying is that they(someone new to training) might be better off If they could continue in the same vein of the first 28 days of Hillman with another 28 or so more days, than they would be changing to some other program , and this includes the more popular of the Carr based ones.
    What specifically are they supposed to continue doing in the same vein...? A new trainer will not know what to do next other than repeat the same 28 days. How is that going to lead to a dog that can run complex multiples and AA cold blinds?

...You ask me what I did since there is yet no sequil, not what I suggested someone new do.....and I told you what I did.
    I asked what you did because this thread is about what the OP is or should be doing. Your post seemed to indicate that you were not in favor of what most folks were advocating (a transition to Lardy, Graham, Stawski...), so I thought you may be able to shed some light on a viable alternative for a new trainer.

...I consider 5 and 6 on the high end no matter
    If you revisit TRT you will find Mike says that with the dogs he was demonstrating in that DVD he used a higher intensities when implementing the program than you say that do with your dogs.
    Mike does take the dogs up the scale in the CC dvd when de-bolting and he may mention what level a particular dog in the TRT dvd is trained at (I seem to remember him mentioning 4), but he also clearly explains that the level you train your dog at should be the level that elicits the desired behavioral response. If you think TRT advocates high level ecollar burns, then either you or I do need to revisit the TRT dvd because that is most certainly not what I took from it.

What is an OP? Trying to follow this new language and am getting a little lost.

[/QUOTE] Mike does take the dogs up the scale in the CC dvd when de-bolting and he may mention what level a particular dog in the TRT dvd is trained at (I seem to remember him mentioning 4), but he also clearly explains that the level you train your dog at should be the level that elicits the desired behavioral response. If you think TRT advocates high level ecollar burns, then either you or I do need to revisit the TRT dvd because that is most certainly not what I took from it.[/QUOTE] Glenn Guider

Lardy starts at 4 then moves up or down depending on the response from the dog and uses the continuous mode. Prerequisite for cc is formal obedience.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    What is an OP? Trying to follow this new language and am getting a little lost.
    OP = Original Poster.

I wasn't going to post on this thread but since I have, I want to say that I thought of the Hillman tape as a good beginning to get a trained dog. At the end the dog was about ready for more formal obedience, then cc or ff whichever you like first then on to the rest of basics and transition.
    Last edited by Howard N; 12-27-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013