The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel drain?

Default Kennel drain?

Going to build a kennel soon. It will have indoor and outdoor runs. The plan is to run a half pipe drain at the back of the indoor kennel. What can we put over the pipe drain on the inside to keep the dogs from stepping in it and puppies from falling in it? I have seen things that look like grates, but cannot seem to find them anywhere. Is there a specific pipe size that is suggested/corresponds with these grates?

I used half of an 8 " sch 10 PVC pipe.....and placed it just outside of the back wall of the kennel.Dogs dont have access to the trough.

I am going to put a drain like you mentioned, Jay, on the outside kennel, but I am specifically asking about the inside kennel portion. It will need to be washable as well. Thanks.

if you are doing an open trench or a french drain system like used at many golf courses, you can buy the iron grates that allow for better drainage and hold up much better than the PVC conterparts
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

check out this poly drain system from ABT

http://www.abtdrains.com/poly-drain/poly-drain/

Check your local concrete supply house, or with the folks that are pouring your pad.
    They make a U shaped trough that the concrete is poured around and finished flush
    at top.
    The metal grid sits in the lip of the trough and makes a clean looking finish.

Go to our website and look at the indoor kennel areas.
    Floor is slopped to the center of the aisle, so the drain is down the center of our aisleways.

www.ncduckdogs.com

Makes for easy cleanup and maintenance.

Terry,

The ABT systems are nice; you can buy grates only. Terry, do you know exactly which grates you have/where they came from? That is the type I am looking for; same as some of the ABT. Anyone have suggestions for which hole type and size in the grates are safest/ least likely to catch toe nails? Don't know if toenails would even get caught, but my imagination gives me horrible scenarios.

I have inside and outside kennels and my cleanouts are open. When I had the concrete poured I made the drain about 8” wide, 2” deep at the high side and about 8” deep on the low end with a 4” schedule 40 drain. I have 8 runs O/S and 7 I/S back to back that butt up to a 5 course concrete block wall with the metal side wall at the top. I put 1 ½” square tubing 12” and 32” from the back of the panel through the panels 12” off the ground from one end of the runs to the other. Set decking material on the tubing to make a platform. Added their sleep barrel with hole on the side of the barrel on the platform which left them with a nice place to be up off the ground. The platform is 34” long and the width of each kennel. I did the same on the inside kennels. This puts all of the dogs above the ground and provides a high enough area below the platform to clean. By leaving the drain open it makes for easy cleaning and there are no covers for hair or trash to collect on or clog up. The drain is big enough that an 8 week old pup has no trouble getting in and out of if they are curious. Since the block wall is back there the big dogs don’t even pay attention to the cleanout. I would not put a bitch with newly whelped pups in these kennels. She would be in the whelping room.
    Ken

Hope you had a great training day!

We used the channel system from lowes. I believe they come in 2' sections. I think it was called Spee D channel. It has grate and couplers. I love it. The grates come off for cleaning. we have it flowing into a 30 gallon drum with holes drilled in the sides and about 2' of gravel around it with a 40' leach line. No urine smell. We pick up solid waste, but wash everything else down.

Quote Originally Posted by weathered View Post
    I am going to put a drain like you mentioned, Jay, on the outside kennel, but I am specifically asking about the inside kennel portion. It will need to be washable as well. Thanks.
    I think what Jay is speaking of, and what I have seen, is the half pipe is open and outside the fencing of the inside kennel. The two I've seen has about a 1 1/2 - 2 foot concrete of block wall with the half pipe at the base of the wall. Then about 6 inches or so between the 1/2 pipe and the rear panel of the kennel fencing. The dogs cannot get to the pipe. Hose everything to the back of the kennel, under the fencing, and into the pipe.