The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What if I get an MH on my dog in two AKC venues?

Angie I love my little girl, she is 1 of the 5 MHR. I would love to get a MH flushing title but we have very few test in our area. I always believed its easier to start out training for retriever work first then train for upland after they get the retriever titles.
    HRCH Ashes Winter Smith MH
    HRCH Jamie's Winter Blizzard MH
    HRCH Lone Oak's Gypsy MH
    HRCH UH Willson's Worth the Wait Kate MH
    HRCH King Henry's Tennessee Daisy MH
    GRHRCH LONEOAK'S THIEF MH
    HRCH UH KJ Just Cinnamon and Spice MHR (AKA Bon Bon Dog) Youngest HRCH (14 months), MHR (35 Months) and First Boykin Female MHR

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tim McGarry View Post
    Ang,

Mr Montler would tickled to know that you have a Spaniel on your truck, until he found out it was a Boyk!

Hope the holidays were great and that all is well in TX. See you when summer gets here.
    Hahaha!!! If Mr. Montler had known about Boykins 15 years ago chances are he would have never owned a lab...

See you in the spring Tim!!!

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by kimsmith View Post
    Angie I love my little girl, she is 1 of the 5 MHR. I would love to get a MH flushing title but we have very few test in our area. I always believed its easier to start out training for retriever work first then train for upland after they get the retriever titles.
    Kim I dont wanna do any upland till later on....not till right before the 2014 grand anyways. Dont want to encourage him putting his nose to the groud any more than absolutely necessary! Lol
    His nose has saved him but it also hurts. We dont encourage its use very often....
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    Kim I dont wanna do any upland till later on....not till right before the 2014 grand anyways. Dont want to encourage him putting his nose to the groud any more than absolutely necessary! Lol
    His nose has saved him but it also hurts. We dont encourage its use very often....
    That's been my experience. They'll be a spaniel at the drop of a hat,,, not so good for retriever games. Head up and run to the bird!!!

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    That's been my experience. They'll be a spaniel at the drop of a hat,,, not so good for retriever games. Head up and run to the bird!!!

Angie
    mine is (MOST DAYS) a GREAT marking dog. FT length, big triples & quads. Has great vision and when he focuses i dont worry about marks. But......the moment he gets a bit unsure of himself, the head goes down and he becomes a real pain in the azz. His handling on marks when it has to occur is terrible, and I feel its mainly because he THINKS/KNOWS he can dig it out with his nose. His only failed test came when he got too far wide of the 2nd mark of a triple and smelled where the blind had been planted between the 2 guns and he blew me off when i tried to handle him back to the mark. surprisingly enough he handles well after throwing a poison bird and "no'ing" him off the bird. He's still real young though so hopefully his attitude will continue to get better.
    also we've had to really work on long land blinds through strips of cover and parallel cover, across ditches, anywhere the spaniel may want to come out. He's improved greatly though with LOTS of these blinds.

Yeah, gotta make sure when they put their nose down,

they're putting it down with another of their operating parts.

Funny quirk on planted birds too - they "know" too much for their own good as flushers. On grouse or pheasant, it's Katie bar the Boykin for putting them up with a bang...

MG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    mine is (MOST DAYS) a GREAT marking dog. FT length, big triples & quads. Has great vision and when he focuses i dont worry about marks. But......the moment he gets a bit unsure of himself, the head goes down and he becomes a real pain in the azz. His handling on marks when it has to occur is terrible, and I feel its mainly because he THINKS/KNOWS he can dig it out with his nose. His only failed test came when he got too far wide of the 2nd mark of a triple and smelled where the blind had been planted between the 2 guns and he blew me off when i tried to handle him back to the mark. surprisingly enough he handles well after throwing a poison bird and "no'ing" him off the bird. He's still real young though so hopefully his attitude will continue to get better.
    also we've had to really work on long land blinds through strips of cover and parallel cover, across ditches, anywhere the spaniel may want to come out. He's improved greatly though with LOTS of these blinds.
    Practice, Practice, Practice and a high standard. It can be a lot of work..

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    German shepherd or German shorthair?
    Shepard. As in Rin Tin Tin.
    --
    Chris Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by TxFig View Post
    Outstanding. I'm getting a German Shepard in Feb and would love to run some hunt tests (retrievers) with her!
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    German shepherd or German shorthair?

MG
    Quote Originally Posted by TxFig View Post
    Shepard. As in Rin Tin Tin.
    You have your work cut out for you. You will first have to get AKC to approve the breed to run in Retriever Hunting Tests, which might take a while for that one. They seem to dominate dock diving though these days from what I have seen.

I was thinking "test dog" and an honorary ribbon for doing a good job. LOL
    --
    Chris Barnes