RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What if I get an MH on my dog in two AKC venues?

19K views 71 replies 29 participants last post by  Dave Flint 
#1 ·
Let's say my boykin gets a MH in AKC retriever hunt tests and AKC spaniel hunt tests. Would there be a distinction added to the title to signify that the dog has 2 MH's???

Hmmmmmm....

Angie

#2 ·
is it not two separate titles? MH for the spaniel MHR for the retriever?

#3 ·
I dont know,,But I think Gooser would call Ya a "Show Off!:razz:

And You would definatly earn the Complimentry "YOU SUCK" award!!

:p
Goosie

#4 ·
Angie, do you really own a Boykin now or speculating?:p

#5 ·
I'm looking to own one and was speculating on the multiple titles. To AKC a MH is a MH but that doesn't seem right? Especially if you acquired the titles in spaniel tests and retriever tests.

Angie

#9 ·
Took me awhile....but from AKC this is for the pointing breeds , I assume spaniels would be the same

Doug Ljungren, AKC Staff, participated in this portion of the meeting via video conference.​
German Shorthaired Pointers, German Wirehaired Pointers, Vizslas and Weimaraners -– Eligibility for Retriever Hunting Tests.​
The Board reviewed a request made by the respective parent clubs to allow the German Shorthaired Pointer, German Wirehaired Pointer, Vizsla and Weimaraner to enter the Retriever Hunting Test. These breeds are currently eligible to participate in the Pointing Breed Hunting Test. These breeds were developed as all-around hunting dogs, hunting both upland birds and waterfowl. The inclusion in a second test will allow for a much more complete testing of their versatile hunting abilities. If approved, they will be the fifth, sixth, seventh and eight breeds to "cross-over" into a second hunting test program. Titles earned by these breeds in Retriever Hunting Tests will be designated with an "R" to differentiate the title from those earned in Pointing Breed Hunting Tests (example: JHR). This will be discussed further at the August meeting.​

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_minutes/0711.pdf

#12 ·
Hi Angie,

I'm not capable of answering many questions on this forum but since I am from the state with the Boykin as the state dog I can answer this one. It's actually already been answered, but to confirm, the MH would be awarded for the upland work and the MHR would be awarded for the retriever work.

The Boykin is a nice little dog and South Carolina has some very sincere Boykin breeders.

Hope this helps,

Wally

#13 ·
Wally, South Carolina doesn't have the only sincere and reputable breeders... Of course, Angie already knows that... ;)

#15 ·
Angie,

Was your Boykin the only spaniel to run?

When I first got into NAHRA there was a guy who would bring out his FC Springers. His dogs would do the tests we set up, just not the same way our retrievers did. I'm not sure how they would be judged by AKC Retriever HT judges. The Springers tend to want to always use their nose on marks and blinds. They did great on the NAHRA trails!

Tom

#16 · (Edited)
Tom, at our test there was a fella with 3 boykins entered. They did exactly as you describe. The one I have in training now has me a believer!! I got him right at 6 months and I taught him to mark with his eyes and not trail with his nose. His trainability and water attitude can match any retriever on the truck. Plus he can flat out mark. I'm serious. This particular fella is out of CH bitch and a dog that guides for a game farm. His structure and type is wonderful.

I told everyone that his breed was what I was going to get when I was an old lady and couldn't handle a big lab anymore, but that's so far down the road I can't wait that long...:cool:

p.s. We don't let Hank look in any mirrors or shiny surfaces we let him think he's a lab...

Hank, the duck dog....

Could you not kiss the cheeks right off of this guy?? I'm in Love!!! Don't tell Bernie the chessie.... LOL

Angie

#17 ·
#20 ·
Angie,

I was always impressed with the Setters' and Pointers' ability I have seen. Their owners play a different game than we do. But, the dogs are good!

I had the chance one time to participate in the field demonstration for an AKC Sporting Group Judges Institute. Every breed except the Weim's were represented. Every dog was a CH and had either an advanced HT or FC/AFC. It was very neat to see ALL those breeds do what they were orginally developed for.

The light deadgrass bitch in my avatar was the chessie. After doing water marks Annie Clark had judges come over and put their hands on her and see that her skin was dry. They saw what a proper coat was and how it functioned.

Tom

#32 ·
Great thread thanks for posting all the info

#49 ·
German shepherd or German shorthair?

MG
Shepard. As in Rin Tin Tin.
You have your work cut out for you. :) You will first have to get AKC to approve the breed to run in Retriever Hunting Tests, which might take a while for that one. They seem to dominate dock diving though these days from what I have seen.

#36 ·
The Boykin Spaniel was first recognized by AKC in 2009? and was placed in the Spaniel category thus allowed to run only spaniel (upland) hunt tests. The title for a Master Hunter was "MH" as a suffix. In December 2011 AKC recognized the Boykin as a versatile gun dog thus allowing them to compete in Retriever Hunt Tests alongside labs, chessies, goldens, flat coats, curly coats, etc. To differentiate the two titles AKC designated "MHR" for Master Hunter Retriever again as a suffix. I think NARHA also has a “MHR” title but is a prefix to the dogs name? As of today there are 5 "MHR" Boykins don't know exactly how many "MH" Boykins but there are no combined titled Boykins to date. Three of the 5 MHR Boykins competed in this year's Master Nationals with one getting a pass. It can be confusing but a "MHR" for a Boykin is exactly the same as a "MH" for a Lab.

#37 · (Edited)
With AKC opening up Retriever Hunting Tests to more breeds, will there be an opportunity for retrievers to run Spaniel/Flushing HT's in the future??

A great many ... maybe most ... retrievers are used as upland flushing dogs exclusively, as are used as waterfowlers exclusively

Prolly a dumb question I guess ... it WOULD mean more revenue for the AKC, wouldn't it. :)

JS

#53 ·
About a year & a half ago I attended a Spaniel Hunt test Judges Seminar where the field rep disclosed that they were working on opening up the Spaniel hunt tests to retrievers.

The Spaniel hunt test program struggles to attract enough participants in many parts of the country for a variety of reasons so I was in favor of this move not just in order to help the clubs putting on these events make money but because I thought that the retriever owners would bring some much needed “polish” to the water blind test which is laughable as it’s currently judged.

Many Spaniel enthusiasts however, have expressed concerns that the influence of retriever handlers would tend to encourage just the sort of ideology that’s been expressed in this thread, i.e. that the use of nose is to be subdued in favor of the use of eyes.

It is abhorrent to most spaniel aficionados to discourage the dog from using his most effective attribute.

#41 ·
Angie I love my little girl, she is 1 of the 5 MHR. I would love to get a MH flushing title but we have very few test in our area. I always believed its easier to start out training for retriever work first then train for upland after they get the retriever titles.

#43 ·
Kim I dont wanna do any upland till later on....not till right before the 2014 grand anyways. Dont want to encourage him putting his nose to the groud any more than absolutely necessary! Lol
His nose has saved him but it also hurts. We dont encourage its use very often....

#45 ·
That's been my experience. They'll be a spaniel at the drop of a hat,,, not so good for retriever games. Head up and run to the bird!!!

Angie
mine is (MOST DAYS) a GREAT marking dog. FT length, big triples & quads. Has great vision and when he focuses i dont worry about marks. But......the moment he gets a bit unsure of himself, the head goes down and he becomes a real pain in the azz. His handling on marks when it has to occur is terrible, and I feel its mainly because he THINKS/KNOWS he can dig it out with his nose. His only failed test came when he got too far wide of the 2nd mark of a triple and smelled where the blind had been planted between the 2 guns and he blew me off when i tried to handle him back to the mark. surprisingly enough he handles well after throwing a poison bird and "no'ing" him off the bird. He's still real young though so hopefully his attitude will continue to get better.
also we've had to really work on long land blinds through strips of cover and parallel cover, across ditches, anywhere the spaniel may want to come out. He's improved greatly though with LOTS of these blinds.

#47 ·
mine is (MOST DAYS) a GREAT marking dog. FT length, big triples & quads. Has great vision and when he focuses i dont worry about marks. But......the moment he gets a bit unsure of himself, the head goes down and he becomes a real pain in the azz. His handling on marks when it has to occur is terrible, and I feel its mainly because he THINKS/KNOWS he can dig it out with his nose. His only failed test came when he got too far wide of the 2nd mark of a triple and smelled where the blind had been planted between the 2 guns and he blew me off when i tried to handle him back to the mark. surprisingly enough he handles well after throwing a poison bird and "no'ing" him off the bird. He's still real young though so hopefully his attitude will continue to get better.
also we've had to really work on long land blinds through strips of cover and parallel cover, across ditches, anywhere the spaniel may want to come out. He's improved greatly though with LOTS of these blinds.
Practice, Practice, Practice and a high standard. It can be a lot of work..

Angie

#46 ·
Yeah, gotta make sure when they put their nose down,

they're putting it down with another of their operating parts.

Funny quirk on planted birds too - they "know" too much for their own good as flushers. On grouse or pheasant, it's Katie bar the Boykin for putting them up with a bang...

MG

#55 ·
Fellow spinoniophile, have to believe Mr. Barnes guilty of tongue in chaw humour. Though with Airedales running "spaniel" tests the last few years (albeit to try and put some interest in a flagging program), anything's possible with AKC.

Mostly, yes - it was tongue in cheek.

But... I have LONG believed that all events should be open to ALL breeds. I would never suggest that an event should ever be changed to suit a different breed - but if xyzzy breed can do the work required for 12345 event, then by all means, they should be awarded the opportunity to do so.

Now with that said, I don't care enough to actually do the volumes of work that would be required to push a rule change. My level of interest is best described as "mild amusement".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.