The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Live bird intro---Help!

Default Live bird intro---Help!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but have been reading for a while. Today I took my new pup out to the fields to intro him to live birds. The pigeon had its wings harnessed and I gave him a short toss. The pup showed no hesitation and charged after and grabbed it. He then proceeded to crush its chest and began to tear all feathers out. I did not expect him to kill the bird but he did so quickly. Now I do not know how to continue from there.

This is my first dog that will be used as a hunting partner so my training is very limited.

Thanks
    Last edited by Todd Herderhurst; 12-19-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thats Great.............. You did not mention how old yuor pup is? Next I would put a pigeon on a string and pole and keep it away from the pup, lifting it up or swinging it out so he can't catch it. You got to be quick........ Do that a couple times and then go to a bigger, tougher bird like a duck. Keep the pup on a check cord so you have control of him. A few events like that and he will have bird drive cemented in his brain. Duckdon

Sorry, missed an important part......when you mentioned.."I did not expect him to kill the bird and did not know how to continue from there." I hope you praised the heck out of him for getting the bird and let him have if for awhile. I know he killed it, but he didn't know that was part of the game. At first it's all good and you can clean up the details later. Duckdon

I did praise him big time for this. Thanks for the help

Good, he likes Birds, now onto Force Fetch > Finishing with Force on Birds(Dead, Alive and Frozen)

That's what I was told