RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Aoudad Hunt GDG

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Wayne Nutt 
#1 ·
Back from Aoudad hunt. See picture below of my sheep. It was quite a hunt and lots harder than I imagined. The stalks were over very rugged and steep terrain. One horn is 28" and the other 27". I shot him at last light on this past Friday. My son also bagged a very nice ram. We were near Marfa, TX in the Chinati Mtns. only about 10-15 miles from the Mexico border. We hunted under the watchful eye of the Homeland Security blimp.

See less See more
#2 ·
The aoudad were at first on the right side of the canyon but migrated to the other sided. We climbed the mountain on the right side and shot across the canyon. If you look closely on the left slope you will see a white spot about 2/3 of the way up. This was the kill spot. The kill was at last light so we did not recover the sheep until the next morning. The white spot is my son in a light gray tshirt on the mountain side. Everyone worked up a sweat going up the mountain.

#8 ·
Sounds like a real hunt. What white spot? Do aoudad taste as bad as I think they would?

#4 ·
Marfa was the location for the movie No Country for Old Men. The second person killed in the movie, that the killer made the man get out of the car, was the ranch owner where we hunted. The scene of the lone man under a single tree dying was just outside the ranch gate. All the very first scenes were very near where we hunted. The ranch was 40,000 acres and has been in the family for over a 100 yrs. A neat but rugged place.

They have employed a lion trapper who has caught 8 mountain lions over the last 1 1/2 yrs. The lions have been playing havoc on the mule deer population.

#6 · (Edited)
Awesome! We are 8 lions into a 70 season limit (or 50 females). Females are leading with 6 I believe. Too many! Congrats on your trophy!

Whoops, 14 lions now. That should tell you we have too many!

#7 ·
Nice sheep! Growing up in Colorado, I never believed TX had mountains till I hunted that country. We were real close to you last January, but right on the Rio Grande itself. We also hunted quail, and my little Golden got her back wet in that river. The mountains we hunted were rockier, or at least it seems so from the photos, and the yucca was brutal.

#9 ·
Wow Wayne,Thats what I'm Talking About.

are ya gonna let Hank have a bite?

Gregg

#11 · (Edited)
Caught=Trapped. He is like Frank Buck and brings them back alive. I guess he tranquilizes them when he has one in a trap.
The white dot is there, in fact there are two. We put some toilet paper in a tree before we left to mark the spot so it would be easy to find the next morning. I can see them because I know where to look.
If I had Evan's computer skills I would mark the spot.

Yep Aoudad meat is terrible, according to our guide and meat processor. Even the critters won't eat it. That is a real shame because they are such a big animal. Mine probably weighed close to 250 lbs.

#13 ·
Congratulations! Nice ram!

I was thinking that this might be a great hunt for me someday but if the meat is no good then I don't have any desire. Oh well...

BHB

#14 ·
Then you won't want to hunt mountain goat either. I've had Mountain goat at a barbeque and was sure that I had gotten the piece from around the exit hole of a gut shot animal but have talked to others since then that have more experience and all concur, inedible.

#19 ·
Congratulations Wayne. Looks like you had a great time.:)

#22 ·
Aoudad hunting is very tough. The terrain is just awful. Lots of long climbs but coming down is worse. Slipping and sliding on the small rocks makes walking very difficult. This was before my back surgery and I had to take three advil before each stalk. But it was worth it.

I shot the ram at last light and had to come off the mountain in the dark. That was a challenge. We left the ram on the mountain until the next morning. I was able to use my shooting sticks as a walking cane and support and my son carried my rifle. It's hell getting old.

Thanks everyone for the positive remarks.

#24 ·
A .270 Browning A Bolt with a Boss. About 250 yds across a valley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.