RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

"Four" Labrador colors.......

13K views 59 replies 42 participants last post by  Steve Shaver 
#1 ·
On another board there was a discussion about Lab colors. One poster quoted a website that said there were FOUR colors of Labs.

I have posted the quote from the website here.

"Well, that’s where genetics comes in. But before we get into all of that, did you know Labs come in 4 colors? Yep, and I’m not talking about the “designer” dogs in silver or polar bear white. You’ve probably even seen all 4 colors and didn’t realize it.

So what are they? Well, there’s black. No surprise there. There’s also chocolate. Again, no surprise. Then we get to the yellow. Yellow has a “yellow” coat –with shades from pale cream to rich fox red—but they also have a black nose and eye rims. The fourth color looks like a yellow at first glance, but they have a chocolate nose and eye rims. These are called Dudleys and they carry the genes for both chocolate and yellow."

So, what do you think? Misleading? Intentionally misleading? Or just doesn't have a clue?

WRL

#8 ·
I agree, just a chocolate factored yellow. Have you EVER seen this mentioned in either the AKC or UKC Standards?

#5 ·
I had a Dudley once and got rid of the dog. He was not any good for field. A dudley is not a desirable trait. Breeders need to be aware of color genetics and breeding issues that might occur to produce Dudley's. Some can easily sunburn. Canadian Kennel Club does not accept variants too far off. I believe some can be registered but some??? Correct me if I am wrong.

#10 ·
Akc three recognized COAT colors.
The coat color isn't wrong, but the pigment is. The pigment in a true Dudley is pink and stays pink and is a disqualification. It is not liver which is commonly thought of as a Dudley. A liver pigmented Yellow can result from the combination of 2 tri-colored blacks.
See pictures and explanation under Dudley which is also found in other breeds. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/yellow-pigment.html

#11 ·
The rocket scientist claiming Dudleys are a 4th color for Labs is calling himself Rainmaker on that forum. I'm so thrilled.:p

#22 ·
What's funny is the guy says silver is a dilute of chocolate while claiming Dudleys are a 4th color.

#32 ·
The Labrador Retriever by Dorothy Howe refers to the Standard mentioning a "Dudley" nose. It is pink with hardly any pigmentation: since noses get such coloration in the winter on the yellows and some chocolates it is not penalized. A true Dudley nose would be disqualified. Some people hear a term and immediately turn it into something it is not.

#34 · (Edited)
had a guy in my office the other day asking me about a "champagne" lab??? (I have pics up in here of our boy Deac)
I couldnt even respond... asked if he meant "yellow"... looked at me like I was the nutsy one and said "no, champagne."
turns out he'd just bought a silver (for $2000) and was wanting "champagne".. I didnt even know they existed.
I do love the earlier post... "Onyx" labs... LOL

#36 ·
You folks are missing a great opportunity! With the new colors come a whole new list of good names instead of Tar and Jett!!!

A charcoal Lab could be "Kingsford"! A champange Lab could be "Dom"! A white Lab could be "Ice" or "Pearl"! A silver Lab could be "Sterling"! Think of the possibilities!!!

Swack

#39 ·
and I'm getting ready to advertise the first ever litter of pointing Chesapeakes......

#40 ·
#46 ·
There are three. A champagne labrador is not a Dudley. A Dudley lacks pigment completely... pink nose and pink eye rims like the day they were born. However, I am now wondering if Champagne Labradors (yellow labs with liver noses and eye rims) are actually chocolate labs in yellow coats. I bred a yellow lab female to a black male (son of a six-time world champion). I kept a black female. The sire was DNA for black and carried chocolate. I bred the black female to a yellow male, who also carried chocolate. They just had their first litter of pups. I ended up with 2 blacks, 1 chocolate, 1 fox-red/dark yellow, and 2 very light creams with liver noses and eye rims with bluish green eyes. I looked them up and some breeders are calling them Champagne and say that it's from a dilute gene like their silvers. I still firmly believe that silvers are not 100% true labs, but the Champagne's have me stumped. If they are so rare, as everyone claims, why do I have two out of a litter of six when I wasn't even trying to breed them? Also, it leads me to believe that they are rare (since they are not Dudley's) and I was wondering if anyone has true knowledge of genetics to explain them? Their pics can be viewed at my website, Heaventree Creek Labradors under the puppies tab. The pics are when they were 4.5 weeks old, and they do not have pink noses (camera light may make it look that way). Thanks for any info!

#48 ·
I don't know about the "champagne" BS since I didn't know that's what they are calling it now, but a yellow with liver nose/eye rims happens because of yellow carrying chocolate factor with no black pigment. Not all choc factored yellows will have the liver pigment, but that's why you are seeing it in yours. Nothing rare or special about it, easy enough to breed for it, if one cares for that combo. http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

#47 ·
HT ,Have you had your A gene tested on you dogs, it's suppose to predict the different colors of yellow. A regulates the expression of the red coloration, whether light or dark. I read that a few labs were offering the A type with the E locus, (U o Davis did it with my last Yellow test) It might explain your Champlain. I don't think they've proven the Silver dilution gene yet, which would explain silvers, but not where that silver came from, whether it was hidden in the Lab genome, or reintroduced. It'd be nice to see some studies on this.

#49 · (Edited)
I didn't know any better when I got her but this is Maize and she's a Dudley and believe it or not she can hunt and is pretty good at it (to another post made).

Two pups from my first litter. Sire was tri factored. No pigment. Pedigree is SuperTanker, Mustang Man, Classic Black, and Classic Roadster. Got this from the dame.

#51 · (Edited)
The "Champagne" that Silver Lab breeders refer to is done by a desire to differentiate their dilute yellows from non-dilute yellows. The name is used regardless of nose pigment (B locus). It's not really a color thing as much as it is a gene thing. So, you wouldn't have what they are calling a "Champagne" unless your yellow was dd at the D locus, a dilute yellow. If you ask me its a stupid name and the pink/grey nose is terribly unsightly.
A yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow is a yellow...
There, I think that covers all the possible Yellow Lab shades....:rolleyes: