The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Food stamps

  1. #31
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Has it ever occurred to you that in economic times like these when more people are in dire need of help, is exactly when the money flowing into charities dries up?
    This is true, but reflecting back to HPL's post.

    Could not that $75,000 for organizations for finding food stamp beneficiaries be better spent in some other way?

    For example, I have suggested before that our welfare program, use funds to train some of the recipients (those who voluntarily would choose the training) in child care. Then those individuals would have skills to care for the children of other mothers who could train for other jobs. God knows, now there are plenty of vacant houses that agencies could buy at a pittance and use for child care centers.

    Not to mention that private child care costs around $150/week in my area, and that's not for the high-end facilities. Child care has become serious business with the growth of 2-family incomes & single-parent homes.

    Some of those recipients could also be trained to provide food preparation training for mothers collecting food stamps, so that they could get more mileage out of the food stamps they receive. And food stamps then be limited to basic foods, and not allowed to be used for luxury items. It would be hard to limit food stamps to certain types of meat (steak v. pork butt), but it would be very easy to eliminate certain items like soda.

    Since there are many private-sector food banks, would it not make more sense to spend that $75,000 in helping those entities teach food preparation classes to the same end? Maybe tie food-stamp benefits to taking such training classes? Maybe even having such classes for pre-teens and teens so that they will develop these skills early in life? And providing an after-school program simultaneously? (More bang for the buck?)

    We are doing poor children no favor by providing money for food that is not nutritious. As a kid, I can remember drinking Kool-Aid because it was cheaper than soda. No better for you than soda, but at least it was cheaper

    Possibly the largest problem with having govt take over charitable services is that the rest of us don't have to think about what we can/should do on a personal level; even, perhaps, stifling charitable donations for the very reason HPL mentions?

    I guess it all goes back to the basic idea of giving a man a fish or teaching him to fish for himself.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 02-01-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  2. #32
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    The bigger message here is that government money is being spent on these things here in America. Yes I agree that many take this money that shouldn't, but when they spend it, American's profit from it

    Now what you should be mad about is the money being given to other countries, defense contractors, oil and gas producers, etc.

    This money gets spent in America and recirculates over and over and over; and taxes are collected on it over and over and over....unlike when they send it to the Iraq, Afganistan, Pakastan, etc....

  3. #33
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,709

    Default

    Sambo, while I have no objection to spending these funds to help Americans before other countries ... we still should be spending tax dollars as effectively as possible.

    From previous threads on this forum, it is safe to say that many of the people angry about the waste in these particular funds, are also angry about the other things you mention. There are plenty of issues to be angry about.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Jason Glavich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    woodbridge,VA
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    I realized watching a TV show the other day that some stores have a price for food for cash and a total for food stamps guess whcih one is less. 176 for normal payers, and 127 food stamp cost. Not sure if this is everywhere or not though. This was on a show filming actual grocery stores during transactions. And no i will not name the show to protect my man card. But I assure you it was a manly show.

    My question is it government making the prices different or stores or manufacturers that reduce the price of goods for food stamp users?

    I think they do have a purpose, they help when needed, but many abuse the system.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

    ~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, GA
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    There was an artical in the paper down here several days ago that stated there were hundreds of local "farm" type jobs available at $15/hr. Farmers said many people would show up, work several hours and leave...too hard. To be fair, they interviewed some that said they were happy to get the work.
    Tom Dorroh

  6. #36
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    There was an artical in the paper down here several days ago that stated there were hundreds of local "farm" type jobs available at $15/hr. Farmers said many people would show up, work several hours and leave...too hard. To be fair, they interviewed some that said they were happy to get the work.
    1 out 20 I interview at the dog ranch are worth a sh#t, too. Now if we quit giving the hand outs and made work or starve the equation, the price of labor would go to nothing for these low skill jobs. Now tell me how they can afford an iPhone or anything else at $2 per hour?

    Just to cut through the chase on this. Under both Dems and Repubs these entitlements exist, so neither party has the balls to cut them. Before every election, the republicans stir people up about them, while coining the democrats as socialist. This is a proven strategy that works well for them. Now ask yourself, why they have not been eliminated during one of your republican presidencies?

    Answer: republican rheteric...unfilled promises

  7. #37
    Senior Member Raymond Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles/Grand Chenier La
    Posts
    1,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    1 out 20 I interview at the dog ranch are worth a sh#t, too. Now if we quit giving the hand outs and made work or starve the equation, the price of labor would go to nothing for these low skill jobs. Now tell me how they can afford an iPhone or anything else at $2 per hour?

    Just to cut through the chase on this. Under both Dems and Repubs these entitlements exist, so neither party has the balls to cut them. Before every election, the republicans stir people up about them, while coining the democrats as socialist. This is a proven strategy that works well for them. Now ask yourself, why they have not been eliminated during one of your republican presidencies?

    Answer: republican rheteric...unfilled promises
    1. Would be alot more skinnies livin in the hood, obesity is a national epidemic with the poor.
    2. Why would someone making min wage need a smart phone or a child?
    3. Reform has been tried several times with Dems kicking and screaming that children would starve (see #1).
    Maybe you should pay $25 per hour and then your labor pool would increase exponetially, per your theory that if you pay more it gets spread around more.
    Just Win

  8. #38
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    1. Would be alot more skinnies livin in the hood, obesity is a national epidemic with the poor.
    2. Why would someone making min wage need a smart phone or a child?
    3. Reform has been tried several times with Dems kicking and screaming that children would starve (see #1).
    Maybe you should pay $25 per hour and then your labor pool would increase exponetially, per your theory that if you pay more it gets spread around more.
    Thatt is the theory....pay your workers more and they spend more. Pay them less and they spend less.

    I'm saying that if you left it purely to market forces, no one would be making any money, so they would be buying less. I'm personally ok with that, but the people working for retailers, not manufacturers because they do the manufacturing overseas, would not be too happy

  9. #39
    Senior Member Raymond Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles/Grand Chenier La
    Posts
    1,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    Thatt is the theory....pay your workers more and they spend more. Pay them less and they spend less.

    I'm saying that if you left it purely to market forces, no one would be making any money, so they would be buying less. I'm personally ok with that, but the people working for retailers, not manufacturers because they do the manufacturing overseas, would not be too happy
    What economic theory do you subscribe to Sam? Business doesn't exist to provide workers purchasing power, they exist to supply goods and services to consumers. The more consumers of a given product the more employees said businesses need to employ to satisfy demand. Entry level jobs are not and never will be designed to support a life style so many in the lower socio-economic rungs try to live.
    Just Win

  10. #40
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    What economic theory do you subscribe to Sam? Business doesn't exist to provide workers purchasing power, they exist to supply goods and services to consumers. The more consumers of a given product the more employees said businesses need to employ to satisfy demand. Entry level jobs are not and never will be designed to support a life style so many in the lower socio-economic rungs try to live.
    True... but they really exist to put money in the pocket and bread on the table of the business owner. If it helps other's in the process, as it should, great.

    There is nothing stopping all the deadbeats from going out and starting their own business. Even if it is something simple. If you are willing to work hard, someone will pay for your product or service.
    Bill Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •