The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Mr Buzz

Default Mr Buzz

My son tells me the metropolis of Brookings just landed a $100 mil dairy plant with an accompanying 300 to 400 jobs. Do you have any particulars as to what incentives were paid to pick that plum up? Plus anything else pertinent .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Marv,

Here is an excerpt from an article in The Brookings Register.

Big city investment

The City of Brookings will have a substantial investment in the project. In addition to providing Bel Brands with a 48-acre industrial site, the city will provide a total of $11.7 million for various aspects of plant construction. A large part of that investment will be recovered, however.

In a special meeting this morning, the Brookings City Council approved an economic development agreement with Bel Brands and authorized the issuance of $7 million in bonds to finance improvements at the site of the manufacturing plant and for various other construction-related purposes.

One of the major expenditures for Brookings is $5.5 million for a waste pretreatment facility ñ an anaerobic digester ñ without which the city would not have been able to service the new plant.

Heuton and city officials prefer to think of the cityís costs to acquire the plant as an investment, since most of the money will be returned in the form of tax increment district revenues, sales and use taxes and a $1 million grant from the state Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

ìOur return on investment will be nearly $1,000 for every dollar we put in,î Heuton said Monday.

BEDCís economic investment model shows that the new plant will be worth more than $163 million to the community.

With the funds the city will collect ñ not to mention the huge community benefit from a 200-400-person payroll ñ Brookingsí net cost in its participation will amount to about $3.3 million ñ about $165,000 a year for the next 20 years.
    You can read the entire article here:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...story_id=13466

You should read the whole thing, you'll enjoy it. It is great news for the community and for the small but growing and thriving local dairy business. Although the dairy business in the state is known for attracting illegals from Mexico here to work in their operations... :roll eyes: You would be surprised at the number of Spanish speakers around this little sleepy SD town.

It was announced on Tuesday. The Gov of SD was here along with other dignitaries. I went out to lunch on Tuesday and to my surprise, they were dining at the establishment we chose that day. I snapped a picture because I thought it was quite interesting that they chose to erect a partition so that the Governor and his entourage did not have to mix with "the unwashed" so to speak. To be fair, Gov Daugaard's wife knew someone at my table and she decided to come and visit for a bit as they were leaving. The Gov meanwhile made a beeline for the door. I guess he was in a hurry?

"For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Marv,

You should read the whole thing, you'll enjoy it. It is great news for the community and for the small but growing and thriving local dairy business. Although the dairy business in the state is known for attracting illegals from Mexico here to work in their operations... :roll eyes: You would be surprised at the number of Spanish speakers around this little sleepy SD town.

It was announced on Tuesday. The Gov of SD was here along with other dignitaries. I went out to lunch on Tuesday and to my surprise, they were dining at the establishment we chose that day. I snapped a picture because I thought it was quite interesting that they chose to erect a partition so that the Governor and his entourage did not have to mix with "the unwashed" so to speak. To be fair, Gov Daugaard's wife knew someone at my table and she decided to come and visit for a bit as they were leaving. The Gov meanwhile made a beeline for the door. I guess he was in a hurry?

the "real" South Dakotans must be nearly apoplectic that they have large numbers of illegals working in their dairy industry, no? Ay Caramba!- Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    the "real" South Dakotans must be nearly apoplectic that they have large numbers of illegals working in their dairy industry, no? Ay Caramba!- Paul
    My sister-in-law spent a couple years in the State Senate. A lot of locals think she has something to do with our business. So we would get a lot of faxes sent here to her attention. VERY interesting opinions, hard core anti foreigner. Hard to blame them. We had a high school senior killed in a car accident last Labor Day Weekend. I saw the accident scene on the way to work our fall trial at 4:00 AM. The guy ran a red light going they figure over 70 mph in a 35 mph zone, broad sided the poor kid and killed him instantly. He fled and ended up giving himself up to authorities somewhere in Texas. He was going to try and cross the border back into Mexicl and for some reason decided to give himself up. I don't think he has gone to trial yet, if he has I missed the verdict and the sentence.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Marv,

I did & Thanks for the posts - I hate pol's that believe they are better than regular folks

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I would never ask an EC person to have a clue about the values of people from the heartland & specifically SD. We are who we are & are damn proud of it .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I did & Thanks for the posts - I hate pol's that believe they are better than regular folks

I would never ask an EC person to have a clue about the values of people from the heartland & specifically SD. We are who we are & are damn proud of it .
    well then, they could follow Alabama's lead. they don't have to tolerate this intrusion. we also are who we are and damn proud of it. one of the original 13 states regards....
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.