RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

homemade bumper launcher

36K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  alexmaresch 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried to build a homemade bumper launcher? similar to a bumper-boy?

I've already built a couple wingers, but I like the idea of being able to run more than one mark before having to reset...

#2 · (Edited)

BUY
1... 10', 1 1/4" schedule 40 pvc
2... 1 1/4" 90 degree elbows
1... 1 1/4' X 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" 4 way
1... 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" T

Cut
2... 1 1/4" X 12" ( legs)
1... 1 1/4" X7" ( tail stock)
1... 1 1/4" X 5" ( body- section that fits in upper T and Lower 4 way
2... 1 1/4" X 4" ( Spacers... placed from 4 way to 90 degree elbow
1... 1 1/4" X 1" ( bushing) over handle of launcher
1 ...1 1/4" X 7" ( mounting bracket for actuator)

#5 ·
Retriever trainer launchers have been around forever. The problem for me was always the electronics. Thirty years ago I thought of mounting two on a platform, just could never figure out the remotes. To say I was happy when BB introduced there's is an understatement.

#6 ·
My late father built two 4-shooters in the early 70's that we used for years. He designed communication satellites and tracking stations for NASA so if he could control a satellite in space why not throw a bumper in a field. An additional bi-product of the space program.
The remotes were model airplane remotes. The receiver batteries of the era were large (about 6"x4"x2"). Each unit weighed about 15lbs.
I still have the units but like John like my Bumper Boys.

Tim

PS I also had an electric bumper for hard mouth dogs.

#10 ·
The handheld launchers are inexpensive enough and the design tested for safety that it does not make sense to try to make them. The blanks have so much power that someone could get hurt if it came apart. That said, it would be pretty easy to make one if you have a metal lathe and some skills.

I have thought about making a spring loaded bumper catapult to throw multiple standard bumpers. Weight and safety are concerns, however.

#12 ·
No fireworks remotes, but I got pretty serious one time and started to order stuff. I called a radio control company and gave a little overview of what I wanted to do. They got pretty serious and said "that frequency, or band" some words to that effect, was reserved for planes and that I shouldn't be using it...

They said I could probably use a remote controlled car or boat signal. I'm sure they were right and I do train in a few places near radio controlled "airports." I'm sure no one would want me messing with their planes...

#13 ·
I wouldn't think the transmitter control of a remote launcher would be on long enough to affect model airplanes to any great extent. What I'd be afraid of is their airplane signals setting off the launchers. :-x

In '95 when I got my first Lucyana's, they were controlled by a model car or truck transmitter. Worked fine if a little big and clumsy compared to the TT Pro Controls.

#17 ·
For $4.00 give it a try. If not go to tower hobbies, do a search on 3003. This is a servo that cost $10. You'll need to take apart (careful don't mess up the gears) heat the motor connections on the board and take board off. Spacer new worded to motor connections. Double check, I think FT is reverse polarity

#28 ·
I have one of those launchers also, I bought mine as a unit 30 years ago. it is 9 shot 22 cal revolver with a stainless launcher barrel. The company I bought it from HAS BEEN LONG GONE for years. Mine still works great. Good for singles and multiples, I have used up to a purple load 7 in my unit, but prefer yellow 4. it makes the dogs get fired up for retrieving and makes them marking machines. the draw back is that it enciurages the dog to look at the launcher instead of looking out in the field for a gun station. when switching to gun stations my dog missed a lot of marks for this reason, you have to have calm throwers. I was thinking of reproducing the launcher end but with all the remote stuff available I dont know if there would be interest in it, what i like about it I can stop in a field a throw 100 yd marks for my dog with very little set up time. i will try to get a picture of it,

#34 ·
Here's the version I made. I have since replaced the stands with .125" aluminum plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.