Master practice set up
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Master practice set up

Default Master practice set up

Is this a fair or reasonable set up for a master test?
    Mark 1-60 yards down the shore, mark 2- 110 yards mark 3-130ish. Blind- 160ish
    As a reference my dog is 20 months old... mark 2 I had to handle him 1 time.
    Ace's Wild Marsh Buddy (Ace)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If I were training I would not run this setup as a triple but rather as a double (1&3), and a single (2) and I'd lengthen the distance of 2 up the hill. As a test, I'd like to see it in person to get a better sense for wind, terrain, etc. but I'd probably move 2 more to the right and a little up the hill. I also would move the blind between marks 1 & 2 deep up the hill.

Internet setup regards.

Good training set up, too technical for test. My opinion

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade UD MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    Good training set up, too technical for test. My opinion

Dawn
    That's more of what I was getting at, is if it was par for a master test or if it was to easy or to hard. I'm of the teaching to practice up and test down....

Like I said, I had to handle him on mark 2. Altgough, he ended up lining the blind... which makes zero sense to me. But it is what it is....

The photo is pretty deceiving, the back hill is pretty big..... it's steap er than it looks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser878 View Post
    Is this a fair or reasonable set up for a master test?
    Mark 1-60 yards down the shore, mark 2- 110 yards mark 3-130ish. Blind- 160ish
    As a reference my dog is 20 months old... mark 2 I had to handle him 1 time.
    If your dog did this test in a reasonable fashion I would say GREAT.
    3 is the go bird... #1 is next I would assume, if your dog swam the water next to the banks, it's a 10.
    Bird #2 same scenario good job.
    Blind as well.
    I really think you are busting our balls as this test would be a QQA with distance .
    Good Post
    We need some excitement, let it happen, capt.
    There is something about the outside of a dog which makes the inside of man feel good

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Marshall View Post
    If your dog did this test in a reasonable fashion I would say GREAT.
    3 is the go bird... #1 is next I would assume, if your dog swam the water next to the banks, it's a 10.
    Bird #2 same scenario good job.
    Blind as well.
    I really think you are busting our balls as this test would be a QQA with distance .
    Good Post
    We need some excitement, let it happen, capt.
    I am obviously new here, and I have no reason to bust anyone's balls... it was an honest question and I did run the set up with my dog today...

Althoigh, I ran them in order and didn't split it up... I ran the one down the shore because I was told they will do that occasionally in masters... im new to this otherwise I wouldn't be asking any of these questions....
    Last edited by Kaiser878; 03-25-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Perfectly reasonable and nothing out of the ordinary or more technical than you would see in a master (in Texas anyway). It has some challenges to it, but completely fair. That's a good set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser878 View Post

Like I said, I had to handle him on mark 2
    What caused the handle? Dog returning to or pushing off #1.

IMHO #2 is a good mark to teach a dog to run past/through a previous mark but would be a hard mark to judge. Dogs could have no memory of the fall but the dog that gets in the water cheats the far bank and squares the hill can end up in the area of the fall.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    What caused the handle? Dog returning to or pushing off #1.

IMHO #2 is a good mark to teach a dog to run past/through a previous mark but would be a hard mark to judge. Dogs could have no memory of the fall but the dog that gets in the water cheats the far bank and squares the hill can end up in the area of the fall.

Tim
    I'm not sure what was going through his head but he popped on me 3/4 of the way through the pond... and turned around and treaded water. .... I let him tread for a bit and try to make up his own mind but he continued to do it. So I gave him a rt verbal back.... for which he took and had a small hunt and wound up with the bird. It was like he forgot what he was doing.