The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Setting Up Derby Marks

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Love Handler Error's memory bird. If you have a "great" flyer shooter, then his flyer is great if the shooter can get them far enough where there is room to cut under the arc, sail with the wind and get stuck in the feathers. But, it's a lot simpler to shoot it the other way as that eliminates the risk of shooting at the other gunner and shooting flyers with the wind is better is most circumstances.

Marcy
    Unless I'm interpreting the direction of the throw incorectly, it seems you're throwing your flyer into the wind which could cause some birds to hook back left and end up behind the guns or land close to the guns, causing no birds.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

this day you have unlimited help.
    I've put two guns out when I've had the help. I've seen it backfire with the kids talking and generally messing around, interfering with the dogs. It hasn't happened for me, but the kids weren't as calm and quiet as I would have liked.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I haven't read the thread in its entirety, so please excuse me if I have committed errors that have already been addressed.

These marks may be too close, and now that I look at it again, I would move G1 further left, and F2 slightly further right.

I have cover and terrain changes marked in red.

On G1, dog has to traverse several cover and terrain changes, however these are roughly square for the most part- for that reason, I like Howard's mat better. My thinking on this one is that the dog would find the gun station and hunt, possibly deflecting left along the terrain change. Should have about 100 yards to run around in behind the bird.

For the flyer, the dog would have a choice to make after finding the gun- continue straight up the hill (a bit concealed by my lines) to the bird, or follow the terrain to the right or left.

Both terrain and wind would influence young dogs to run toward the left on both marks.

Ok, I missed the wind indicator at first, so I would be throwing a flyer into the wind- oops.
    Last edited by Donald Flanagan; 02-06-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    El Matavenados

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    Unless I'm interpreting the direction of the throw incorectly, it seems you're throwing your flyer into the wind which could cause some birds to hook back left and end up behind the guns or land close to the guns, causing no birds.
    From the diagram it appears to me that the wind is out of the east and the gunners are throwing mostly north. Also, in the picture the grass is not blowing over, so I would assume the wind is not that strong and the throwers will not have much difficulty getting a consistant throw.