Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I like it! Too bad you support Newt.

I'll add that in order to vote, one must;

prove citizenship
    have passed a basic civics test in English
    pass a basic test in American History and
    have pay taxes over the last three consecutive years

no skin in the system & country, no vote
    I'll go with the rules to vote too except that I think the part on having to have paid taxes in the last three consecutive years needs some adjustment. Anyone who has served honorably in the armed services and is a citizen should be able to vote no matter their current financial status as should anyone who has paid taxes in say three of the last five years and anyone who has paid taxes for more than maybe 20 or 25 years altogether should qualify. Certainly there are many retired folks who paid into the system their whole lives who may no longer make enough or who may have planned well enough to no longer be paying taxes and they shouldn't be penalized.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Absolutely should have to prove citizenship to vote and prove that you can read and understand English well enough to follow the instructions! My voting booth has bi-lingual instructions!! Well, at least they have to be able to read in SOME language.

These criteria can be verified when voters register to vote; then only need to present identification when they show up at the polls. I have to sign a book at the polls. The book has my signatures from previous times I've voted, for comparison.

I don't know that paying taxes should be a criteria. There could be various reasons for not paying taxes or being unemployed. Basic American history should be part of becoming a citizen to begin with for immigrants.

What is even more shocking is that many of the general population doesn't know what's going on TODAY!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.