The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clint Eastwood and that Chrysler SB Commercial

Default Clint Eastwood and that Chrysler SB Commercial

So, here's the deal;

Chrysler, like General Motors, was aided by government loans made under the Bush and Obama administrations in 2008 and 2009. Taxpayers lost up to $1.3 billion lent to Chrysler, and the government no longer owns a stake in the company.
    Chrysler had hoped the ad would not become politicized. "It has zero political content," said Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne Monday. "It was not intended to be any type of political overture on our part. We are as apolitical as you can make us...I wasn't expressing a view and certainly nobody inside Chrysler was attempting to influence decisions."
    Clint Eastwood isn't particularly partisan, either -- he identifies as a libertarian. He served as nonpartisan mayor of Carmel, Calif., for two years. He supported Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) in the 2008 presidential election but has said he no longer identifies with the GOP and doesn't know who he's voting for in 2012. He has also brushed off critics who read political messages into his films.
    Though conservatives have criticized the ad for supporting the auto bailout, Eastwood himself did not support it.

I personally think that Chrysler CEO Sergio Macaroni is full of it! And, tax payers also own about 40 billion worth of Government Motors stock that we can't sell.
    Last edited by Franco; 02-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

I was conflicted on that commercial.
    I thought Eastwood was one of us.

I guess money talks..........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Reading between the lines, I would suspect that it was a way for the UAW to run a political ad for Obama in the Super Bowl. You know, with the false claim that Obama saved the U S Auto Industry.

At $3.5 million for a 30 second commercial, that two minute ad cost $14 million. They would have won far more support buying a little bitty ad in the Detroit Free press stating that they were giving back 14 million to the tax payers.

Lets don't forget that tax payers were stiffed for $1.3 billion dollars in the bailout of the UAW/Chrysler.

Buy FORD!
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Reading between the lines, I would suspect that it was a way for the UAW to run a political ad for Obama in the Super Bowl. You know, with the false claim that Obama saved the U S Auto Industry.

At $3.5 million for a 30 second commercial, that two minute ad cost $14 million. They would have won far more support buying a little bitty ad in the Detroit Free press stating that they were giving back 14 million to the tax payers.

Lets don't forget that tax payers were stiffed for $1.3 billion dollars in the bailout of the UAW/Chrysler.

Buy FORD!
    No one has been stiffed

I thought it made a statement to buy American. It was just as good a message for any of the US automakers.

Yes money is still owed but not forgiven and these companies are on track to pay it back.

This did not only bailout GM and Crysler, it saved Michigan.

But to get Obama beat, you guys would buy a Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Chrysler giving the Obama admin a $14 million reach-around during the Superbowl is chump change compared to the $3.5 BILLION loan they're waiting on the Obama Energy Dept. to approve.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    No one has been stiffed

I thought it made a statement to buy American but body assembled in Canada and engine in Mexico. It was just as good a message for any of the US automakers.

Yes money is still owed but not forgiven and these companies are on track to pay it back. What track is that?

This did not only bailout GM and Crysler, it saved the UAW.

But to get Obama beat, you guys would buy a Toyota Made in America.
    Just needed to fix it a little bit Sam
    Just Win

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    No one has been stiffed

I thought it made a statement to buy American. It was just as good a message for any of the US automakers.

Yes money is still owed but not forgiven and these companies are on track to pay it back.

This did not only bailout GM and Crysler, it saved Michigan.

But to get Obama beat, you guys would buy a Toyota.
    I drive a Ford Lariat F150 built in Deerbourne, Michigan.

Tax Payers will NOT be getting that 1.3 Billion under the terms of the buyout by Fiat of Chrysler. That money is gone forever.

The forced stock purchase of GM stock is well below the IPO and it could be years or decades if the stock price ever gets to the point where it could be sold. And, if the tax payer portion of GM stock were to hit the market it would create a sell spree on GM stock. All very big "ifs" because GM/UAW may need another major bailout just to keep going!

Don't forget that a few months ago when there was some positive news coming out of GM, the UAW was already demanding more consessions because of the consessions they had to give up in the original bailout.
    Last edited by Franco; 02-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.

So far as I'm concerned, that was a very pro American message.

But go ahead and crap all over it.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Just needed to fix it a little bit Sam
    Toyota sources all their parts from USA suppliers?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

The secured bond holders who should have been first in line at bankruptcy court got royally screwed by OBUMMA. Instead the unsecured union got what rightfully belonged to the bondholders. REDISRTIBUTION at its finast.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI