The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural Gas for Vehicles

Default Natural Gas for Vehicles

The Motley Fool is touting a company that makes a fuel injector for natural gas vehicles.

Interesting notes in their "solicitation" about how companies with many diesel vehicles are converting to compressed natural gas vehicles.

Most interesting, I thought, was the fact that the cost between diesel & natural gas vehicles used to be $50,000 and is down to $10,000 now. Ryder (trucking) is expecting to replace all its diesel vehicles & save 1.5 million gallons of diesel each year. Cost of diesel is now around $4/gallon, and CNG is about $2/fuel unit (or whatever they call NG measurement).

UPS also doing the same thing. Have about 50 NG vehicles now, and expect to have another 900 soon.

It said that this innovation for trucking took place without govt subsidy. I'm sure if they're wrong on that, someone of you will dig it out.

Meanwhile, 4 or 5 (more?) states have signed a pact to build the infrastructure in their states for distribution ... I think PA, WY and OK were among those mentioned.

They also mentioned the conversion of garbage trucks to CNG in some city. Evidently stuff going on in LA, NYC, and some place in Indiana.

They touted the positives of this coming conversion: lower emissions, cleaner air, and domestic supply reducing energy dependence on imports.

If, indeed, this was all done without govt subsidy, it's worth noting. When there is capitalistic "reward" of profits and economy, innovation will take place, funded by those who hope to make a profit; at their own risk. And this innovation not only will be helping those who may grow "rich" from this innovation, but also yield some other benefits that will be of great help to consumers of all economic levels: keeping the cost of transported goods lower than otherwise might be the case; benefiting the lowest income tiers who are most dependent on public transportation (now using diesel busses or trains).

If they can do all of this, I'm thinking that they should be able to figure out how to "recycle" the fracking waste-water as well. Using a capitalistic framework, if solving that problem makes operations ultimately more profitable (by avoiding the costs & hassle of govt regulation of same), the economic need will lead to innovation for doing so.

And if they can run vehicles this large on CNG, then heating structures should be easier than it has been in the past?

I do have concern about the safety issue if these vehicles get in accidents.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I think I read where the DART (public transport) in Dallas was converting to NG. I could have dreamed that. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

At one time cabs that ran on Nat gas got to go to the front of the line in Dallas. Don't know if that is still the case. I would certainly hope not, as whenever politicians try to interfere with the free market we all lose

If you guys want to see LNG used you need to come west. I think nearly all of the UPS little brown trucks use NG. Most public transit buses use NG. And many of the other courier and small delivery vehicles use NG. In the urban areas, nearly every house is heated using natural gas along with the use of natural gas water heaters. And until recently most new electric generation plants were also fueled by natural gas. But here, natural gas is considered another evil fossil fuel on par with coal. And with regard to its use in the larger trucks, NG does not have the energy that diesel has, so using it in the large trucks that must traverse our mountainous roads is not a viable option at this time.

T. Mac

If this is true (not doubting) then the USPS should take note.
    One of their biggest operating expenses is fuel.
    (I wanted to say biggest operating expense, which I read sometime back, but I couldn't find a link)

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    (I wanted to say biggest operating expense, which I read sometime back, but I couldn't find a link)

RK
    It seems they have taken note.
    http://www.govenergy.com/2007/pdfs/s...y_track_S8.pdf
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

RK
    The USPS biggest operating expense has to be salaries and benefits including retirees.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    The USPS biggest operating expense has to be salaries and benefits including retirees.
    That is no doubt true, Mike, followed closely be maintaining and rentals of facilities. Like many government facilities, post offices are usually leased properties with quite long term contracts.

There's a huge concern in rural America, like here in the Dakota's, about all these small towns with POs and quite high salaries for their post masters that the government wants to shut down. But in all sincerity, we've heard that squeeling before when the small town schools, even after consolidating, had to close their doors also.

Always the way it happens, and the caterwalling begins when that effected crowd sees their ox being gored. Even in the 2nd largest "city" in Sodak, we are in for a variety of PO reductions. I'm amazed they haven't stopped Saturday deliveries already. That's bound to come soon. Attrition has claimed our postman. He was retired a little early, and our 'route' is being picked up by several others in a hodgepodge fashion, so we don't really have 'our own postman' for this neighborhood anymore.

Life goes on. Come to think of it, I haven't seen many buggy whips for sale, nor 8 track tapes...or tapes of ANY kind recently. Not very many Blockbusters in business either. Or, radio engineers OR announcers. Even the sales staffs have been reduced to many empty desks. How long will the radio profession even be around?

UB

Had to come back to this post and add a PS. Didn't mean to take the thread completly off topic. We have some NG vehicles operating in the Black Hills, but they are still outnumbered by the propane operated vehicles. Until NG gets 'easier' to use by having more readily available stations to fill at, there won't be much action for that fuel. Yet to be determined, however, is how quickly that might change when the full impact of the higher priced ethanol is realized.
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 02-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Just paid $3.44 for regular at Sam's this afternoon. Last time I filled up gas was $3.33. Big jump. From what I've read there's a ton of natural gas available in this country if we just had the infrastructure (and leadership) in place to use it. I would love to own a natural gas propelled vehicle with the option of filling up in my very own garage. How cool would that be.

I wonder what Algore and his leftist enviromental whackos think about using natural gas as an alternative to imported oil? Or do they still prefer to put everybody on a bicycle, a horse, or on foot?

We live in Cuba now.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Just paid $3.44 for regular at Sam's this afternoon. Last time I filled up gas was $3.33. Big jump. From what I've read there's a ton of natural gas available in this country if we just had the infrastructure (and leadership) in place to use it. I would love to own a natural gas propelled vehicle with the option of filling up in my very own garage. How cool would that be.
    Probably you'd have to have a meter, so that you could pay the taxes that are applied to vehicle fuel to pay for roads maintenance.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.