The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural Gas for Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    The USPS biggest operating expense has to be salaries and benefits including retirees.
    In context, "operating expense" was a referral to the day-to-day cost to get the mail delivered.
    Hardware, trucks, logitics etc.

You are correct that the reason the USPS is going bankrupt is because of what they are paying in retirement.

So maybe I chose the wrong words.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    In context, "operating expense" was a referral to the day-to-day cost to get the mail delivered.
    Hardware, trucks, logitics etc.

You are correct that the reason the USPS is going bankrupt is because of what they are paying in retirement.

So maybe I chose the wrong words.

RK
    Yes, and we know why their pension fund is breaking them. It was a well laid plan by Republicans that would like the postal service gone so that the system goes private and their cronies can profit handsomely from it.

http://huffingtonpostunionofbloggers...ervice-crisis/

The biggest budget problem facing the USPS is the mandate placed on it by an outgoing Republican Congress in 2006, requiring the Postal Service to pre-fund, over a decade, its employee pensions for 75 years. The USPS is among a handful of employers still offering a defined benefit pension plan that provides security to retirees after a lifetime of work. The pre-funding requirement was and remains a poison pill for the postal service. No other pension plan, either public or private, is required to pre-fund for 75 years into the future. Without this burden, the USPS would be in the black today. The cost of pre-funding has exceeded $20 billion over the past 4 years – an amount that roughly equals USPS losses for that period.

Well played...

It is true that not many employees offer defined plans any longer. One of the reasons it was easy for me to leave Siemens was that they ended their defined benefit plan and replaced it with a savings plan. Running the numbers, it was clear that us employees were taking a huge hit. The reason for ending the plan? They were removing a big future liability for the company in order to help their stock price. Yup, they actually came straight out and said it...
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-13-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Yes, and we know why their pension fund is breaking them. It was a well laid plan by Republicans that would like the postal service gone so that the system goes private and their cronies can profit handsomely from it.

http://huffingtonpostunionofbloggers...ervice-crisis/

Well played...
    OK Buzz, nice cheap shot, blame someone else.
    I'm shocked......

My post had nothing to do with blame, simply an observation that NG may be a savings for postal carriers vehicles.
    Is that premise incorrect??

There is a problem there, blame all you want, I offered a solution, or a small part of one.

GEEZZ!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I didn't bring the pension plan into it. Someone else did!

I happen to be a big fan of the idea of running vehicles on NG.

I am also a big fan of converting appropriate vehicles over to electric. Route type vehicles are prime candidates, and at 10 cents per kW-HR, it's a lot cheaper than gasoline...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I didn't bring the pension plan into it. Someone else did!

I happen to be a big fan of the idea of running vehicles on NG.

I am also a big fan of converting appropriate vehicles over to electric. Route type vehicles are prime candidates, and at 10 cents per kW-HR, it's a lot cheaper than gasoline...
    Buzz,
    In the industry I am in now there are some amazing uses of technolgy.

One plant in particular uses electric carts that run on GPS systems.
    They pull up to a unit (machine & staff) they get loaded and literally drive up to 1.5 miles to deliver the pay load.
    These "robots" run these routes at least 4 times a day, sometimes more.
    So the total distance is approx: 15 + miles, with many turns and curves in the routes.

Obviously, there is no fossil fuel alternative here.
    But is awesome to see.

I just don't want an electric F-150!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

A friend of mine who has nat gas experience told me a while back that home gas lines don't have enough pressure to fuel vehicles. He also said that at today's prices nat gas in your car would equal about 60 cents per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    A friend of mine who has nat gas experience told me a while back that home gas lines don't have enough pressure to fuel vehicles. He also said that at today's prices nat gas in your car would equal about 60 cents per gallon.
    Yes, seems right since they are talking compressed natural gas. Still like the idea of 60 cents/gallon
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Seems like we will still need "filling stations" and by the time the people selling to NG to us get done with it we may be looking at a lot more than 60 cents per gal.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

They were removing a big future liability for the company in order to help their stock price. Yup, they actually came straight out and said it...
    Is that necessarily a bad thing ... to plan for removing future liabilities that you may not be able to meet?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Seems like we will still need "filling stations" and by the time the people selling to NG to us get done with it we may be looking at a lot more than 60 cents per gal.
    There used to be 2 stations around us here in Northern VA, now there are none. When I was in Cali the USMC had a few Natural gas vans that we would use to go to San Diego, it was a cool vehicle till you could not find anywhere to fill up. It also took quite awhile to get used to getting the nozzle correct to have it fill properly.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~