The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those with kids and G-kids in school...

Default For those with kids and G-kids in school...

...here's a message that should be of interest to you. It's a little lengthy, but worth your time to watch and listen, it could be happening in 'your' cities school district.

UB

-- This is an Eye Opener !!! And she is not reading from a teleprompter either!!! This is frightening, Watch the entire video.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Wow! She is one powerful speaker!

Absolutely scary that Islam is being taught in ANY public. And she is totally right that if the same was done with Christianity or Judaism, the ACLU would be on their case in a heartbeat.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Wow! She is one powerful speaker!

Absolutely scary that Islam is being taught in ANY public. And she is totally right that if the same was done with Christianity or Judaism, the ACLU would be on their case in a heartbeat.
    The history of the World's five major religions is taught in every 6th and 7th grade social studies class in Tennessee. These religions are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Judaism. Islam is the second largest religion on Earth and is the fastest growing. More than likely, in my children's lifetime, Islam will be the largest religion in the World.

I would prefer that my children are educated about these religions and have a sound understanding of their religious practices. This way they can decide for themselves what they believe. Public education is not the place to teach kids what religion is best, it is the place for students to learn about the World around them. Whether one likes it or not, Islam is a BIG part of that World.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Brad, I can agree that education should "inform" about the world's religions. We had such a course in my first year of college that was required for all freshmen.

However, I wonder if the students study the Bible as carefully as this lesson plan requires that they study the Koran? While history class points out the violence of the Crusades, does this course also point out the same for Islam? Do they also study the other religions as thoroughly? Do they spend three weeks taking Jewish names and living like a Jew would live?

If the "state" and church are to remain separate, they must give equal time to all the major religions.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Brad, I can agree that education should "inform" about the world's religions. We had such a course in my first year of college that was required for all freshmen.

However, I wonder if the students study the Bible as carefully as this lesson plan requires that they study the Koran? While history class points out the violence of the Crusades, does this course also point out the same for Islam? Do they also study the other religions as thoroughly? Do they spend three weeks taking Jewish names and living like a Jew would live?

If the "state" and church are to remain separate, they must give equal time to all the major religions.

I completely agree with statement.

I have not watched the video, so I am not familiar with what was said. IMO, a good teacher will give equal time to all of the required material.

I don't see how a teacher could cover all the material that they are required to teach if they spend three weeks on any single part of history. One just doesn't have enough time before the state tests.

If a teacher is spending this much time on Islam, than there is definitely going to be other periods of history that are insufficiently taught.
    Last edited by Brad Turner; 02-13-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Wording

Brad, you really have to watch the video ... the speaker actually uses the lesson plan provided to the teachers. The teachers have no choice about teaching it; and the lesson plan tells them how to teach it.

The religions of the world are part of "history". Throughout history one religion or another conflicted with another; then communism (based on atheistic principles) conflicted with all of them.

I think that it is cogent to look at religions historically, and see how they improved their socieites (or not); and how they may have matured from violence toward peacefulness. Islam is much "younger" than Christianity. Christianity is "younger" than Judaism. And all of them, I believe, are "younger" than Buddhism.

The Christianity of today is typically far different than it was in the Middle Ages. I can think of no rational Christian (key word: rational) who would defend the violence that has taken place in Christianity's history.

The latest news has been that Bin Laden was telling his children to live more peaceful lives than he did ... not to follow his path of jihad. Perhaps Golda Meier was correct, ... there would be peace in the Middle East when the Arabs loved their children more than they hated the Jews. I do wonder if Bin Laden's philosophical "descendants" in Al Queda and Iran will pay attention to those thoughts as they paid attention to Bin Laden's call to jihad?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

It is believed that Hinduism is the oldest of the five.

I have yet to watch the video. I will try tonight.

You know a lot of these videos ( almost all actually ) can't be seen by we who live in some rural areas. Even if we manage to down load them they will not play in a smooth fashion where we can hear and see it. It jerks and flickers in a most maddening way. Sound does the same thing. Old phone lines and old systems do not work with modern technical things. Most phone company repairmen don't even know how to work on our lines etc. After many phone calls to our phone company I wrote to our phone company and sent a copy to FCC . I have not heard from either. So if some of us appear to not know what is going on we actually don't if we were supposed to watch and listen to a video. Just so you know
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Ok, I have a nephew who is a US Navy Seal. Part of his getting there was an in depth understanding of Islam as well as the other religions. Why are you saying that education about it is dangerous. This is just another extreme vision of a very narrow minded talented speaker.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

CharlyT, I know what you mean. I didn't get off dial-up until about 18 mos. ago.

I did find that when there was a video I really, really wanted to watch, I'd let it play in the background. Once it ran through to the end, if I hit "replay" it would run continuously from start to finish ... instead of buffering 2 to 4 seconds at a time!

The one that starts this thread is kind of long, so it would take a long time on dial-up.

I finally got DSL when I found out that all my neighbors already had it. It took some real convincing of the telephone company! They didn't even know that I should be able to have it. It took me a couple of weeks to finally get through to the right people. So, check with your neighbors periodically.

Cable was not an alternative here since the cable TV lines are just as old as the phone lines & only had one-way cable which is just as bad as dial-up. Because of the old lines, they literally had to string new phone line in order to get the DSL to me (the old lines were getting wet when it rained, and I'd end up without phone service!) That's a whole other story.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com