The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those with kids and G-kids in school...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    CharlyT, I know what you mean. I didn't get off dial-up until about 18 mos. ago.

I did find that when there was a video I really, really wanted to watch, I'd let it play in the background. Once it ran through to the end, if I hit "replay" it would run continuously from start to finish ... instead of buffering 2 to 4 seconds at a time!

The one that starts this thread is kind of long, so it would take a long time on dial-up.

I finally got DSL when I found out that all my neighbors already had it. It took some real convincing of the telephone company! They didn't even know that I should be able to have it. It took me a couple of weeks to finally get through to the right people. So, check with your neighbors periodically.

Cable was not an alternative here since the cable TV lines are just as old as the phone lines & only had one-way cable which is just as bad as dial-up. Because of the old lines, they literally had to string new phone line in order to get the DSL to me (the old lines were getting wet when it rained, and I'd end up without phone service!) That's a whole other story.

I know all too well about the wet lines. We also lose net connection each time the wind blows in a normal way for Oklahoma. Trying to place an order on any sight is the pitts. Yes, the neighbors talk about this little problem often. So far a connection via satellite doesn't work for those near us. Last time we managed to get things fixed was some years back which has worn out I guess. We all got together an had a petition written up and almost everyone ( one from each household ) signed it. We got action when it was sent to the FCC. I'll try what you suggested. Many thanks. So far no DSL for any of the neighbors but I will tell your story to one who might just get it done.

Now back to the regular programing.

Children's values have not been formed yet and I don't want someone else helping them form a muslim outlook on the world. Adults in most cases already know what is what. Sorry, but we have a good example in the White House right now of this kind of upbringing. History study is one thing but brain washing is another. Call it indoctrination or whatever but there it is.
    Last edited by charly_t; 02-14-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Ok, I have a nephew who is a US Navy Seal. Part of his getting there was an in depth understanding of Islam as well as the other religions. Why are you saying that education about it is dangerous. This is just another extreme vision of a very narrow minded talented speaker.
    "Dangerous" is not the word I would use to describe it. I think study of all the religions would be very good for curriculum in our schools. Indeed, we should not block information about various religions from our schools, though that seems to be the goal for some individuals.

The question would be whether learning about religions requires iimmersing students in each of them for three weeks. Even then, if all religions are represented equally that might be fair. Are all religions being presented in the same way?

I'm not sure this "immersion" technique is a "real world" way to teach about different religions. How many Christians or Jews really live the way that might be depicted in their holy books? Same for Muslims, I'd imagine, since we are all only human. I don't necessarily believe that the students have to experience living as a Muslim to gain some understanding of that relgion. Same goes for the others.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    "Dangerous" is not the word I would use to describe it. I think study of all the religions would be very good for curriculum in our schools. Indeed, we should not block information about various religions from our schools, though that seems to be the goal for some individuals.

The question would be whether learning about religions requires iimmersing students in each of them for three weeks. Even then, if all religions are represented equally that might be fair. Are all religions being presented in the same way?

I'm not sure this "immersion" technique is a "real world" way to teach about different religions. How many Christians or Jews really live the way that might be depicted in their holy books? Same for Muslims, I'd imagine, since we are all only human. I don't necessarily believe that the students have to experience living as a Muslim to gain some understanding of that relgion. Same goes for the others.
    The word I would use is "preperation."
    For the inevitable.

Just sayin'...........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis