The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Lunches

Default School Lunches

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/14...-with-nuggets/

The West Hoke Elementary School student was in her More at Four classroom when a state agent who was inspecting lunch boxes decided that her packed lunch — which consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips — “did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines,” the Journal reports.

The decision was made under consideration of a regulation put in place by the the Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs to meet USDA guidelines.

“When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones,” the Journal reports.

The student’s mother told the Journal she received a note from the school about the incident and was charged $1.25 for the cafeteria tray, from which her daughter only ate three chicken nuggets.

The note explained how students who did not bring “healthy lunches” would be offered the missing portions and that parents could be charged for the cost of the cafeteria food, the Journal reports.

The mother, who was not identified in the report, expressed concern about school officials telling her daughter that she wasn’t “packing her lunch box properly.”

Didn't sound like such a bad lunch that mom had packed for her kid.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/14...-with-nuggets/

[/COLOR]

Didn't sound like such a bad lunch that mom had packed for her kid.[/LEFT]
    Well when they go looking for budget cuts, I'd add that one to the list. Goes to show there is no need to increase taxes when you have agencies like this showing how foolishly they can spend it.
    Last edited by mngundog; 02-15-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Kinda sounds like the Hitler Youth Group.

Is this a great country or what?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Thing is the kids lunch actually met the standards but the stupid inspector did not know it. 2 portions of fruit or veggies. The kid had a banana and apple juice which combined met the requirement.
    This more it at 4 is taxpayer funded babysitting!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

But wait theres more to the story, Ill try to find the orignal article not from Fox. The kid only ate 3 nuggets out of her meal she had to buy!!!!!!!
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

That's f'ed up, right there. If a parent packs their kid a lunch of Fruity Pebbles and cotton candy what business is that of the Fed or state govt.?!?
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Glavich View Post
    But wait theres more to the story, Ill try to find the orignal article not from Fox. The kid only ate 3 nuggets out of her meal she had to buy!!!!!!!
    Thats in the story in the OP.

Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Thats in the story in the OP.
    oops I missed that. I read another one that left that out.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

I suspect there is even a constitional issue here. While the school can insist that the lunches they serve meet USDA guidelines, I don't see how they can insist that a lunch from home meet the guidelines without tripping over the several of the amendments. As a pre-kindergartner, the student would be doubly protected in that s/he doesn't have the wherewithal to react appropriately to the "lunch police" searching the lunch-box.

In reality, I'm not in favor of this being a court-case. I am in favor of the adult joining the unemployment line.

Eric