The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: shooting laptop computer

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My 13 year old daughter might agree with you.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    At least he took it outside before he shot it! I tend to think everyone is getting a little too worked up about this. He did hit what he was aiming at.

Duck's not all wrong about teenager's these days either. My 20 year old boy had to be forcibly removed from electronic devices more than once when he was younger. I can't do it any more because he is too damn big...
    I agree with you.

Uumm, too many kids running their own and their parents lives anymore. One son bought the "stunn gun" type things for each of his daughters and his wife. One of his daughters loves to turn the thing on so it makes the sound ( when triggered )........loves to get behind him and trigger it when he is relaxed watching football etc. Her sister and Mother just shake their heads. Different personalities on different kids. Of course the onery one takes after her Daddy It takes a bit of doing to get her attention at times. Her attitude has improved a lot in the last few years but before that .......... well lets just say it was a battle royal a lot of the time. Having brought up two boys and a girl and then having to help with a grandaughter of 13 years of age let me tell you kids do not act like they used to. It is a very different world than it used to be. Too many people are telling the kids they don't have to mind their parents. We can't spank, we can't say things that might hurt their feelings and on and on.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    I agree with you.

Uumm, too many kids running their own and their parents lives anymore. One son bought the "stunn gun" type things for each of his daughters and his wife. One of his daughters loves to turn the thing on so it makes the sound ( when triggered )........loves to get behind him and trigger it when he is relaxed watching football etc. Her sister and Mother just shake their heads. Different personalities on different kids. Of course the onery one takes after her Daddy It takes a bit of doing to get her attention at times. Her attitude has improved a lot in the last few years but before that .......... well lets just say it was a battle royal a lot of the time. Having brought up two boys and a girl and then having to help with a grandaughter of 13 years of age let me tell you kids do not act like they used to. It is a very different world than it used to be. Too many people are telling the kids they don't have to mind their parents. We can't spank, we can't say things that might hurt their feelings and on and on.
    Just a thought Charly_T (and you know that I love you and your posts) maybe part of the problem is parents don't parent like they used to?

I am not trying to be a jerk, I just think that parenting starts at day one.
    It is our job to teach, coach and mold solid people.

Respect, loyalty, integrity, morals and values are things taught verbally, with practical lessons and most importantly by example.
    This issue started a long time ago.

What kind of example did this man set for his daughter.
    IMO.....not a very good one.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

You are correct about parents and day one etc. Seldom are there stay at home Mothers etc. very often anymore. Our children are constanly influenced by other kids and adults. I don't think that people used to have to fight to correct their children and we do anymore. Most grandparents did not try to run their children and grandchildrens lives and they do anymore. And lets not forget the T.V. programs where our family sees the wrong things. They see these kids who are acting up and getting attention and boy is that a cool show. Oh well, just getting old and still think a spanking is needed sometimes for some kids.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Perhaps since we have no kids (by choice) my thoughts won't count, but I WAS a kid once and remember being pretty afraid of my mother, I'm 56 and there are still things I don't do because she wouldn't like it. My brother and I definitely got spanked and more than just once or twice. I think that that father looked nothing like someone who was out of control. Perhaps it would have been a better lesson to take the computer away and give it to someone who really needed it, but shooting it in an area where shooting was legal certainly makes an impression. I do see really rotten kids all the time these days. I work as photographer and don't do children photography. Too hard to get them to behave. Not worth the headaches. TV certainly doesn't help. I grew up on Dick van Dyke, Bewitched, My Three Sons, Bonanza, etc. The MARRIED parents in these shows slept in SEPARATE beds for heaven's sake. I tend to think that if Little Joe has sassed (an expression you don't hear much these days) Pa Cartwright, Pa would have just shot him (I brought you into this world and I can darn well take you out!). We learned to behave, respect and yes, fear adults, and I think that is the way it should be.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Reading the posts of different opinions ... some things occurred to me. The shooting of the computer was pretty extreme, but that was far better than physically abusing his daughter, wasn't it? Of course, could have been just as effective to re-format her hard drive That might have gotten her goat even more.

As for humiliating her in front of her friends ... she had done a job on her parents without a thought. And, it might appear, that her "facts" were a bit embellished. It's one thing to tell a friend that you "hate your parents" (which seems a mandatory rite of passage for being a teenager); quite another to put it on Facebook as is done today.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Did you shoot the device??

RK

No... but if I told my son I was going to, he would believe it. We had a rule, no texting or gameboy or any of that crap at the dinner table, in a restaurant, if we had company, or if we were hunting. I expected him to be sociable to other humans rather than have his head down and his thumbs poking a keyboard when people were around. This generation growing up now is really lacking in people skills. To top that off, more and more of them home school to get away from the crappy public schools, so they have even less chance to learn to socialize and deal with others.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    .................................................. .........

As for humiliating her in front of her friends ... she had done a job on her parents without a thought. And, it might appear, that her "facts" were a bit embellished. It's one thing to tell a friend that you "hate your parents" (which seems a mandatory rite of passage for being a teenager); quite another to put it on Facebook as is done today.
    I once told my husband in private that he had embarrassed one of our kids in front of the kids friends. He very nicely explained to me that if they were doing that ( I don't remember what they were doing ) they deserved to get embarrassed. In other words "behave themselves" or get embarrassed. I have probably told this before but here goes. I had made a trip to the lady's room in a certain store. A young woman in her late 20s or maybe early 30s was leaning against a wall watching her 5 year old throw a fit. She said "I don't dare correct him in this store." A cousin's daughter was followed to that same lady's room when she took her fit throwing daughter in there to hopefully get the kid to stop. The lady who followed her made it clear that the child would not be touched by her mother or she would call in about child abuse. How can you raise decent kids with people making sure that they can run wild or you can go to jail.
    charly

~Will Rogers~

I agree with the guy...

He is a man of his word...he warned her once what he would do if she acted like this again...

He said he would put a bullet through the computer.

HE DID....

Lesson...Integrity.

Jake

I wonder how many would bepleased if thier child took a firearm and shot a computer??

Even if in theory they had just cause??

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis