The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Searched and took her to the Vet... heat cycle

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    Okay, Maggie is a figgiter every time he would start to insert she would move her tail or move her rear end, then we held her in place and tried to help guide him Maggie still managed to move around enough to not let it happen. On Friday she was a 20.6 we found out on saturday we tried really hard a couple of times on saturday - still no dice it was like she would move more when we came close. So I called vets all around up here and the vets that would answer the phone or return a call did not want to do a side by side today so I researched online watched videos on line on how to do a side by side and went to the local farm and fleet store got a clear plastic tube rubber gloves a 60 cc serenge and some ky jelly. I collected from him and then sucked it up in the serenge and then slowly inserted the tube - I looked at the female dog anatomy - I guided it with my finger past the bladder then slowly got it about 8 inches in and then hooked up the tube to serenge and then sqeezed it in a little came out but I think the majority stayed in. since she ovulated on wednesday it might have been a lost cause but I can say I gave an honest effort. thanks for everybodys help
    I had an attempted breeding go about like yours Justin, only the vets did all the work. There were no ties after many attempts, muzzle, helping, holding, etc... We went with 2 AIs. Anyways, in my case it did not take after much effort of varying degrees.

The next heat cycle my bitch stood for the same stud as soon as we got them together the first time. It was night and day difference the next heat cycle. maybe my bitch just wasn't ready that first try.

regardless, good luck with your breeding!

Banned

Do y'all think it helps when trying to do a natural breeding if you take the bitch to the male and have them in a kennel next to each other for a few days before do they get used to each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    .............WOW.....................good luck with that, if the time was right you just may get a litter. I know when I was taught to AI the woman 15 yrs ago used aquarium tubing.Now I use a rod with a bullet tip , it is great because it is so smooth . I just hope you were clean enough...
    They say you can learn anything from You Tube...What stud dog did you use?
    I used Aero - Landover's right on Target. with the last couple of bitches that have been brought over he has gotten a tie with in the first 10 min. I stayed 4 days- hahaha I tried to find a cathetter but no one had them that was open that is why I went with the tubing- and I disinfected everything with a 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water solution then let it all air dry so we shouldn't have a problem with cleanliness.

I have another question though. the dogs progesterone levels stay high in order to keep the pups in her whom right.. so would a high progesterone test in a week or two confirm a litter or not?
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    I used Aero - Landover's right on Target. with the last couple of bitches that have been brought over he has gotten a tie with in the first 10 min. I stayed 4 days- hahaha I tried to find a cathetter but no one had them that was open that is why I went with the tubing- and I disinfected everything with a 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water solution then let it all air dry so we shouldn't have a problem with cleanliness.

I have another question though. the dogs progesterone levels stay high in order to keep the pups in her whom right.. so would a high progesterone test in a week or two confirm a litter or not?
    Nope. You can do US or a bloodtest (relaxen) at around 21 days, I generally wait til 28 days just because I throw enough money around, I prefer to give myself some margin for error.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

thanks I wasn't sure
    Justin E Schneider

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Here is another question for the experienced ones, if a bitch is pregnant do males generally still try to hump them - I am working with a younger male and every time i let him out with maggie he tries to hump her after he has sniffed her pee spot and crotch - or is he just being a really horny 11 month old?
    Justin E Schneider

Hey Justin , what's the verdict?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I knew when I started reading this 2 hours ago that it was a few years old. And, I'm not trying to rekindle any flames from any one fired up back then, But I truly learned from this reading and think others will too if it's brought back to Life. So, Back to the top it goes.
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

Just to settle the original post the breeding did not take, that said I did get Maggie bred this last year and she had a litter of 9 pups 7 lived, the stud dog owner said in order to get her to stand still he had to tire her out on fun retrieves and then put her in with the stud.

I now know so much more about breeding, from this thread and experiences. last spring she had a late ovulation and I didnt know enough about breeding plus the stud dog owner never had a problem with his stud tying up so it was an experience for us both, I now got a new puppy out of my Maggie and she is a blast to say the least following the Hillman program she is already sitting on command and walking on a leash, I hope to get a QAA at least out of her but time will tell thanks for all the good advise
    Justin E Schneider

WOW! Here in Chicagoland area, the cheapest I've found is $78 PER TEST!