The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Searched and took her to the Vet... heat cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Once again, counting starts from ovulation, not breeding date. Ovulation generally occurs when the bitch hits 5. If one is doing progesterone testing, count to 63 from the day the bitch hits 5. If one is not doing progesterone testing, figure a window of 58-63 days from the breeding, because you won't know when the bitch ovulated.
    So she hit 5 Wednesday and was AI on Saturday. I count from Wednesday before sperm was inserted? That's no way accurate. Its 48 hours after the AI was done. This is what reproduction vet told me and since I was doing a follow up on Monday, Tuesday would be the day she told me to count from.

Thanks Nancy. I've never done the slide. The vet office tried to talk me into it this past month but I got the impression they couldn't tell me anything other then when she was in standing heat as you mentioned. I think I'll stay with the progesterone

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Start your count from last Friday, day 9 you should have progesterone draw. If you're doing a standing put them together on day 10 if they tie do it again on day 14.
    I disagree on the time span giving for the two ties(day 10, then day 14). I think day 10 could be too early for a tie. I think ties 4 days apart is too far apart. For natural breedings, we have this system: first tie in morning, 2nd tie that evening, 3rd tie the following evening (which allows for a 24 hr. rest between ties to build up more sperm).

We think the first tie is usually shooting blanks (unless it is a well used stud dog). One time Don was gone and I was left in charge to handle a natural breeding with our Golden Retriever male. The bitch was left with us. I did 5 ties. Sure put a smile on our GR's face. He was very disappointed when it came time for No. 6. and she was not here any more.
    She had 10 puppies.

Helen

Here's a link to pics of a surgical AI.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/ai.html

I looked for the scar from my dog's last surgical AI approx 50 days ago but it has disappeared.
    Last edited by copenhawgen; 02-15-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: I don't write well.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    I disagree on the time span giving for the two ties(day 10, then day 14). I think day 10 could be too early for a tie. I think ties 4 days apart is too far apart. For natural breedings, we have this system: first tie in morning, 2nd tie that evening, 3rd tie the following evening (which allows for a 24 hr. rest between ties to build up more sperm).

We think the first tie is usually shooting blanks (unless it is a well used stud dog). One time Don was gone and I was left in charge to handle a natural breeding with our Golden Retriever male. The bitch was left with us. I did 5 ties. Sure put a smile on our GR's face. He was very disappointed when it came time for No. 6. and she was not here any more.
    She had 10 puppies.

Helen
    Too funny...

Tests are $75 here each time.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

So she hit 5 Wednesday and was AI on Saturday. I count from Wednesday before sperm was inserted? That's no way accurate. Its 48 hours after the AI was done. This is what reproduction vet told me and since I was doing a follow up on Monday, Tuesday would be the day she told me to count from.
    Metalone67

Yes, it's 63 days from the day she ovulated...before she was bred...is when puppies are due.

Marcy

Dude, you count from wherever you want. But pretty much anyone who breeds on a regular basis and knows what they are talking about counts 63 days from the day of ovulation. I've got two litters on the ground now, whelped 63 days from day of ovulation, not from the days they bred, which were quite different. One got bred the day BEFORE she ovulated, one 2 days AFTER she ovulated, per progesterone. I've done it plenty of times without progesterone testing, it's all over the place counting from day of breeding.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post

She had 10 puppies.

Helen
    This was my experience with my one bitch had a decent litter and she was still receptive. I agree with your earlier statement that all bitches are different.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Dude, you count from wherever you want. But pretty much anyone who breeds on a regular basis and knows what they are talking about counts 63 days from the day of ovulation. I've got two litters on the ground now, whelped 63 days from day of ovulation, not from the days they bred, which were quite different. One got bred the day BEFORE she ovulated, one 2 days AFTER she ovulated, per progesterone. I've done it plenty of times without progesterone testing, it's all over the place counting from day of breeding.
    Did you breed when she hit 5?
    Well we'll see from your suggestion they will be here April 3 and the vets calculation will be April 9. Ill let you know what day.
    Last edited by metalone67; 02-15-2012 at 07:11 PM.