The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Searched and took her to the Vet... heat cycle

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Did you breed when she hit 5?
    As my post just said, one bred the day before she ovulated (which is 5). The other bred two days after she ovulated (5). I normally try to get the female to the stud within 48 hours of ovulation (when she hits 5 or close enough). I normally have to drive a fair piece and try to get one tie so I don't have to leave my bitch or make another trip.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Did you breed when she hit 5?
    Well we'll see from your suggestion they will be here April 3 and the vets calculation will be April 9. Ill let you know what day.
    For the sake of your dog, I'll give it one last try. Look at the chart on post 29. Do you see where ovulation happens at 5? Do you see where the count is from there? Might want to make sure you understood your repro vet correctly and are counting the same number of days she is, from the same day. Regardless, good luck, and maybe have her box ready by April 1st, JIC.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    For the sake of your dog, I'll give it one last try. Look at the chart on post 29. Do you see where ovulation happens at 5? Do you see where the count is from there? Might want to make sure you understood your repro vet correctly and are counting the same number of days she is, from the same day. Regardless, good luck, and maybe have her box ready by April 1st, JIC.
    THIS is VERY good advice....I would bet the FARM you have pups several days before the 9th
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

See what's confusing is gestation is when egg becomes fertile, but in reality its when she ovulates. So how many days is it once the egg becomes fertile?

Great now Im freaking out. Im calling tomorrow.

See what's confusing is gestation is when egg becomes fertile, but in reality its when she ovulates. So how many days is it once the egg becomes fertile?
    They have puppies when progesterone drops. That is a function of when they ovulated. I think their progesterone levels are around 1 when they whelp which is 63 days +/- 1 day from ovulation.

Melanie Foster

Dude. How we can spell it out to you more clearly?
    --------------------
    "Yep, reason being (for those who don't have a lot of experience with breeding) is that 5 is when the bitch ovulates. It takes 48 hours for the eggs to be mature and thus ready to be fertilized."

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Foster View Post
    Dude. How we can spell it out to you more clearly?
    --------------------
    "Yep, reason being (for those who don't have a lot of experience with breeding) is that 5 is when the bitch ovulates. It takes 48 hours for the eggs to be mature and thus ready to be fertilized."
    I get it, its 63 days from ovulation and 61 days from fertilization.

I get it, its 63 days from ovulation.

Period. +/- 1 day. I didn't know this until today either. From a male perspective, I always thought females gave birth when they got so big and fat and swollen it looked like they were going to pop. Evidently it's a hormone thing.

Definitely you need to count 63 days from ovulation, not from day of breeding. I have had quite a high percentage of litters that have been born 58-59 days after first breeding date! If you are not prepared for it, it can lead to quite the surprise LOL