The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Training

Default Training

Training has begun! This will be my first time attempting to train my new pup from a little lad. Is there any advice you guys can give me for my Labrador. Since I am busy during the weekend I have to have my folks watch my 8 week old pup. Will this create a misunderstanding of who is his dad/owner?or will this socialization help him be social. I just want to make sure he knows im alpha/dad.

Congrats on the new pup !! Good idea to have someone take care of the pup during the day. Better than having it sit in a crate all day. Just make sure you are all on the same page when it comes to the expectations for the pup. House training, obedience, socializing, crate training. Having a pup is a full time job to raise them right.
    Just make sure you make the best of your time when you have the pup with you, and make sure you handle most of the formal training. As long as you have a gameplan with everyone involved the pup should do just fine. Good Luck !!

Bonding and socialization are key right now. It's great that your will get "people" time while you work. Do you have a good puppy program to follow?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Well I go to school full time and work on the weekends. But as far as training goes, I have begun basic training as far as his name, basic commands and kennel work. The only area I am concerned with is the kennel aspect. I don't kennel him at night when I sleep, usually just sleeps with me. I did this with my Brittany spaniel and didn't seem to affect his obedience.

My question is should I kennel him all night? Or is it okay?

-Cameron

I would create train the pup and make sure he/she sleeps in it at night. You have an eight week old pup that if not now, will go through the chewing stage and destroy the house while you sleep. My last pup almost shewed the porch supports off of my house until I took measures to stop the chewing.

All I have is my experience. My Boykin has been create trained since he came home. BUT....
    I work out of town and stay in a travel trailer 3 nights a week. Each day he was left inside his create. I was able to go let him out 2 times a day. As he got older I would only go home at lunch. Finally the weather was cool enough he could stay out in a pen.
    In the travel trailer he sleeps with me. Back at home, he is not allowed in the bed, ever. He has a create beside the bed and he is content to sleep in it. I do lock the create at night because I don't want him to wander and perhaps get into something. During the day he may sleep in the create with the door open.

He is 11 months old now and he knows which bed he can get in and which bed he can't. And will easily "kennel" on command.

Crate training is invaluable.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

The "kennel" command seems to be so versatile and valuable throughout a dogs life,and in IMO it starts when they are young with crate training them to the kennel command. I use the "kennel" command for house crate,outside run,mutt hutt, dog stand,load in the truck (box or cab) also as a predetermined spot when hunting and just need them to sit in a pile of weeds,once kennel is established they make retrieve ,deliver to hand and then return to where I showed them earlier in the hunt.

Some use the "place" command instead.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "