RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Anaplastic Sarcoma

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  brendak 
#1 ·
I just found out that my almost 8 year old male has what is called an anaplastic sarcoma tumor in his mouth.

We have a few options depending on what grade it is. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of cancer in dogs before?

Thanks,

Jason

G
#2 ·
Sorry about your dog our prayers are sent. A friend of mine had a young Golden that developed a tumor in her mouth. (Dont know the type of cancer it was) The Vet that did the surgery removed it along with half her jaw. The told him at the time the cancer had not speard but it wasnt even a year after he went through all this that it had and he had to put her to sleep.

#6 ·
My manicurist has about a 6-7 year old Goldendoodle that had a tumor under his tooth-I also don't know what kind of cancer, but they removed it and it came back malignant and they suggested removal of the jaw on that side and she said no. I just asked her today how he's doing and it's been over 6 months and he is still doing fine. She knows he will crash and burn but he is eating, playing and happy and on no meds.

#3 ·
Sorry to hear the bad news.

Where in the mouth is it? May help determine which option is best.
How large is it?
Can they give you any indication as to what type of tumour it is?
What options were you given?
Is it localized or has it spread?

Usually surgery is the best option as I've heard that most sarcomas do not respond that well to chemotherapy.

#4 ·
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of cancer in dogs before?

Thanks,

Jason
Yes.... before doing surgery, if that is what is suggested, I would do an ultrasound and x-rays, and perhaps some needle biopsies to determine if it has metasticized.... this cancer (specifically anaplastic sarcoma), of all the sarcomas, is notorious for spreading. You don't want to put your dog through a surgery that will probably be dramatic if it doesn't save its life. But we each make our decisions differently.... so i wish you the best in making your decisions..... and I'm sorry your dog has been diagnosed with cancer.

#5 ·
yes i have gone through it. just this last year in fact it was located on roof of
mouth extremely fast growing. nitro survived 11 months from initial discovery
but eventually we did lose the battle. we did surgery chemo' shots' radiation
wasn't cheap.

we tried but lost.

keith l.

#7 ·
Are you talking about an amelenotic melanoma? If so, survival times depend on the size of the tumor when removed and if there is any evidence of it in the lymph nodes.

My old Golden X had one removed when he was 10 years old. It was less than an inch in diameter. He lived another 3 years with absolutely no meds.

Had to put him down due to arthritis from a ruptured ACL he did 3 months after the cancer diagnosis. He was supposed to only live another three months so I never had it repaired.

#8 ·
I too found out that my dog who is 7 years old has a anaplastic sarcoma in his upper jaw. The oncologist said I needed to do radiation and then take pills but this will only buy him 6 months to a year. I don't know what to do- whether to even do the radiation....any thoughts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.