The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New pup won't retrieve

Default New pup won't retrieve

So this is frustrating to say. But I have a 12 week old BLF haven't done much but socialize introduced to water and about 5 those in a hallway a day up till 10 weeks!! Last week moved her outside on her marks and she was doing good, a couple times my wife would throw them fro about 15 feet in front of us and Tess would go get them good and bring em back to me. The past few days she will go out there and just lay next to bumper. I put a long line on her and when she gets to it and puts her mouth on it I blow whistle and tug a little to bring her in and she just bites the rope and runs in! I don't get mad I simply just go get bumper try it again and it doesn't work so I just stop for the day. Now my question is, is there something I should be doing? Is this normal at this age? What should I do?

Thanks

A couple other things, I do it right when she wakes up in morning and has aired. And also we have a 4 yr old boxer. Would having a non retriever in the house do anything to our pup?

Typically what I have done with pups like this in the past is keep them in a kennel they only come out to potty and get fun marks. I will use a wing clipped pigeon and keep it as fun and happy as I can without the neighbors calling the looney bin. If they retrieve and bring back I only give them a few then right back to the kennel. If they refuse then back to the kennel. They only get attention for a good potty outside and for bringing birds back. This takes less than a week and most dogs figure it out in about 3 days. Remember dont over do it alway's leave them wanting more you may also want to let them watch you do it with an older dog so they can see how they can earn your attention. Just my 2 cents worth on this as I am sure there are other great ideas out there. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Chris Winkelman; 02-15-2013 at 12:59 PM.

She retrieves pigeons good. LOVES BIRDS!!!! But not bumpers!

Then use birds. Throw what your pup loves most. Bumpers will be important later, but not now. She's a pup. Enjoy!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

What Evan said! Its very important at this early age to read Your pup and keep them happy.It has to be fun.If She likes birds throw Birds! It wont be long she will retrieve anything You ask Her to.

I don't think you have a problem. You have a 12 week old puppy being a 12 week old puppy.

Look at how pups play with each other. When one has something he'll play keep away with the other pups with it. If the others aren't chasing him he'll lay down with it and kind of try to interest someone else in playing.

I'd go back to ball in the hall for a week or so and then try to interest the pup into retrieving outside. I'd keep doing this every few days until you can train outside and he's bringing it back on a regular basis and then phase out ball in the hall.

I wouldn't continue to hammer on something the pup isn't able to do yet.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

When you get back to throwing puppy bumpers in the field (Cloth type or medium size paint rollers), as soon as puppy gets to bumper look stupid flapping your arms yelling hey good puppy OK and when puppy starts towards you turn and trot the other way. If puppy runs to your wife be sure wife know to start jogging towards you and get pup headed your way. Have a 15' or so rope clipped to puppies collar. When pup gets near you step on rope. At this age you want to coax pup to come to you vs pulling on rope.
    Don't be too quick to take bumper from puppy. Pet him, praise him and slowly ease bumper from him.

Doing recalls back and forth between you and your wife with treats and increasing the distance will go a long ways towards having a puppy run straight through stuff and come back to you.
    No retrieve involved in recall just a treat or a bit of cheese whiz on your finger. Recall pup through cover, cross a stream, over a log, cross dirt road, whatever.
    Start in kitchen or hallway, in field you will slowly increase distance between you to 50 yards, 100 or whatever.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Howard,
    thanks that's what I was wondering. It's my first pup I'm training and just wanted to know if it's normal and from your response it sounds like it is! Thanks everyone

Others have given good advice. I would also suggest that you zip tie wings to a bumper from one of the birds you use after it is dead.

That way, the pup is getting the taste/feel/smell of the bird with the size/shape of the bumper. Also, it puts the scent onto the bumper for awhile after the wings are removed, keeping it interesting for the dog.

I would not worry too much though, just keep it fun and exciting and you will see that everything works out in the end.

Good Luck,

Mark
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)