The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first time seeing myself handle on video... links attached.

Default My first time seeing myself handle on video... links attached.

Well, here goes:

I debated whether or not to post these publicly. I realized that I've been handling for HT/FT/hunting since the late 80's and I have NEVER seen myself on video.

I have watched a few times and I see some things that I need to fix, and did not realize I was doing.

Here are the video links:

Rosie - not a retriever - her second time ever with gunner-thrown marks. She has not been taught proper delivery/force breaking. We probably will not do so. (never say "never" though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEdO652hQ8&feature=channel

Bus - my lab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymW8b2YMYCY&feature=channel

Edit after watching: This is a city golf course that was recently shut down. It is in the city. No shooting allowed. Friends in law enforcement tell me blank pistol use would likely result in some squad cars and officers with guns drawn. I'm not going there!

Banned

Rosie's a pip... What fun!!

You probably already know this but your sending way to quick once you drop your hand.

You fuss to much with Buzz hand cuing on the singles. Also you stand to high on the dog. Drop back to his hip. It will give you more room to push/pull your dog. It also opens up the field for the dog. You should step up if need be to help the dog find the gun, but then drop back before you call for the gun.

Dog should be in the middle of the mat and you on either side....

I didn't watch the video's all the way through. I've got to return some phone calls but that's what I got so far....

Don't cha love it??!!

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    You fuss to much with Buzz hand cuing on the singles. Dog should be in the middle of the mat and you on either side....
    I noticed the same things. Funny how that FF'd dog looks like he is enjoying his work!

Good job!
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I noticed the same things. Funny how that FF'd dog looks like he is enjoying his work!

Good job!
    He probably is, we just can't see it... LOL!! Some dogs are darn serious about their work....

Now the brindle pit had a hell of a good time!!!!

Angie

At work and finally got to watch your video all the way through. Rosie looks like fun!!!! Buzz looked good. Runs real straight. Yes others have said you send too fast but don't we all!!! Nice place to train. Thanks for posting Chris It is a real eye opener for you when you do a video but a great learning tool. Thanks
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Very nice! I REALLY liked the way you instructed your bird guys. Clear, concise, calm and when it went south you remained just the same. Too many shouters out there!

Bus is a great looking dog. But please, please tell me there is a fence between the field and that super busy street in one of the backgrounds. When the dog crossed the rise he disappeared. One that runs fast and long, could be out there before ya know it.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

He probably is, we just can't see it... LOL!! Some dogs are darn serious about their work....

Now the brindle pit had a hell of a good time!!!!

Angie
    I thought you were "returning phone calls"? everyone on your speed dial list or just didn't want to talk?
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

When the title was "HANDLE" I expected to see you perform on a blind .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I thought you were "returning phone calls"? everyone on your speed dial list or just didn't want to talk?
    What do you think? I hang on the phone?? I cut to the chase... Gotta get back to RTF...

Angie

You fuss to much with Buzz hand cuing on the singles. Also you stand to high on the dog. Drop back to his hip. It will give you more room to push/pull your dog. It also opens up the field for the dog. You should step up if need be to help the dog find the gun, but then drop back before you call for the gun.
    I disagree.

I prefer standing with my inside leg even with the dog's shoulder.

I think that the dog is more cognizant of where you are and that small movements on your part can influence the dog when you stand more forward on the dog.

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com