The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My first time seeing myself handle on video... links attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    What do you think? I hang on the phone?? I cut to the chase... Gotta get back to RTF...

Angie
    I should have known!
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Good afternoon for you guys to be out on the veranda!
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Nice Chris, only thing that stood out to me, was the quick send and we all do it, one of those thing I always have to think about myself. It was hard to tell in the video, but around the 2 minute mark, you gave a light stick correction and had the gunner pick up the mark, was the correction for the slight head swing??

We had a golf course close up here a few years ago it was good for a couple years and then it got overgrown and unusable, but it was nice while it lasted..

More handlers should have someone video tape them while handling -- on marks and on blinds. Why do I think this?

Well, I am the wife. Long ago I was telling my husband what I thought he was doing wrong. I quickly learned that was not the smart thing to do. No more constructive criticism; I keep my mouth shut.

Years pass, he gets better as a handler, he is getting wins and placements. He goes to a Dave Rorem seminar. He gets constructive criticism from Dave (and does not bite Dave's head off). Later, in the mail he gets a video of himself handling at the Rorem seminar.

We both sit down to watch the video. I say nothing. I just watch.

He says:
    "Boy, I sure look old."
    "Boy, that jacket has sure shrunk up in the back."

And then very quietly under his breath,
    "Why did I do that? I gotta work on that."

No matter how long you have been in the game, have someone video tape you while you are handling. You are probably not aware of the things you are doing or not doing.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I disagree.

I prefer standing with my inside leg even with the dog's shoulder.

I think that the dog is more cognizant of where you are and that small movements on your part can influence the dog when you stand more forward on the dog.

Interesting Ted, your words are close to the exact thing Mike Lardy taught Chris three years ago at a great workshop we attended. The wonderful thing it that Chris actually remembered it and made it a habit.

Good job my friend, you and Bus looked really dialed in.
    Last edited by Jim Harvey; 03-12-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Jim Harvey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I disagree.

I prefer standing with my inside leg even with the dog's shoulder.

I think that the dog is more cognizant of where you are and that small movements on your part can influence the dog when you stand more forward on the dog.

When staging the dog yes,,, but when pushing or pulling the dog as the marks go down you have more room to operate when you're not crowding the dog.

I ran dogs on Dave's truck this winter that were trained by someone else and those dogs wanted you very upfront on their body. It was very hard to move them easily in a quiet manner from gun to gun. They needed lots of movement, lots of vocal encouragement and motion which is not good on the line...

But if it works for you Ted? Don't mess with it...

Angie

Banned

I think we need a video of Chris and Bus doing multiples....

Angie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Good afternoon for you guys to be out on the veranda!

Are you kidding?? With spring break and everything else that needs done around here the veranda is the last place you'll see me.

And you?

Angie

More handlers should have someone video tape them while handling -- on marks and on blinds. Why do I think this?

We try to do it a few times a year, it's even better when they don't know you have the camera out, and there not thinking about it..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harvey View Post
    Interesting Ted, your words are close to the exact thing Mike Lardy taught Chris three years ago at a great workshop we attended. The wonderful thing it that Chris actually remembered it and made it a habit.

Good job my friend, you and Bus looked really dialed in.
    Don't you just love clinics...

I know a lot of pro's that clinics were their only education...

FWIW

Angie