The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My first time seeing myself handle on video... links attached.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I thought Chris' body position with the dog was perfect. (They get used to how they have been trained.) What I noticed is that Chris does not put his hand down on the longer retired gun on the double. He also seemed to turn off of the short retired gun on the set up where he made the big swing to get himself in position for the next mark, sooner rather than later. I usually count 2-3 seconds from the time the mark hits the ground... unless the count by the judges is quicker than that, of course. this coincides with the quick sends. But again, Bus is used to Chris' training methods...

Loved Rosie.... but where is Violet?
    Susan,

Your critique nails exactly what drives me the most nuts when I view the video.

My goals were to do 2 things. I wanted marks that were pretty low on the difficulty level - likely to produce success. I wanted to work on head swinging on the 2nd mark thrown. I wanted to work on live human-thrown retired marks.

It drives me NUTS how fast I swung off of both retired marks to turn to the short "go bird", which is really just thrown to set up the retired memory bird. I almost cancelled out the whole purpose of the first setup, which was to work on head swinging.

I want to work on head swinging more. I do think he may have learned something on that head swing, and I intentionally just gave him a tiny tap to tell him he's not to swing to that short gun. I do agree that my attempts to really work with him to get him to lock in on that long gun and NOT swing over to the short left mark (did not show well in video) were fidgety looking. It is entirely possible that I worried him by the repeated cueing and hand movements.

I did send him fast on that head swinging mark after the stick tap. I did this because he did as I was urging and stayed focused on that mark and did not head swing. I decided to kick him off fast and set him up for success once he stayed looking at that long mark.

On the "no hand send" for the retired memory birds: I used to "always" put a hand down for all memory birds with Bus. I stopped this when coached to avoid it in Summer of 2009 at a workshop in Montello.

We were urged to not use a hand on memory birds, in general, unless it was to drive the dog deep. In both of the retired marks we ran, they were plopping right out in a "want to go to" spot (in my opinion). I did not want to drive the dog deep, due to the location of the marks and the fact that there were roads behind the marks. (and no, there is no fence between the mark and that busy road - to answer someone who mentioned that)

I also realize that "golf course marks" are not the sort of thing that's going to help us hammer All Age work. I do try to use that setting to work on concepts like retired mark mechanics and head swinging.

Now to just slow down and not rush!

Violet was on the truck. Since Rosie came along, Vi has decided bumpers are for nerds. Give Violet a mole or a mouse and she's game-on. In the absence of a rodent, a UPS driver or Schwann's man will do . (just kidding )

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Thanks for answering Ted, I just wanted some clarification, Clint tells me I stand too far back too, he prefers the front shoulder like you do too..but in full disclosure, I know that only the first picture with Clint was a blind, the second set of pictures were all marks from the last series at RRiver, and I cant remember if the pics of Don,KJ and Charli were blinds or marks

I liked the first set too. Like Susan wrote, I'd imagine some of this is all in what the dog and handler do as a matter of consistency. For me personally, if I had my dog out in front like photo set #2, I personally would feel out of control. I would feel like I'd set the dog up with a creep before we ever even got the first bird thrown.

I figure I'm going to be more calm and better help run the series with the dog if I'm comfortable and not feeling out of place. To me, being that far back on the dog would feel out of place.

I do appreciate all folks' commentary though!

Thanks for posting the example pics Bon!

Chris

Chris, nice butt!! Nice bus(s) too.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Chris, nice butt!! Nice bus(s) too.
    Haha! Thanks.

I look forward to Rosie's FF sessions.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Thanks for answering Ted, I just wanted some clarification, Clint tells me I stand too far back too, he prefers the front shoulder like you do too..but in full disclosure, I know that only the first picture with Clint was a blind, the second set of pictures were all marks from the last series at RRiver, and I cant remember if the pics of Don,KJ and Charli were blinds or marks
    Since that picture (a year ago), I have moved up and prefer it for the reason stated by Ted. I think my dog responds better to subtle movements and I have more control. I believe Hillmann stated "toes to nose" in his video. With my size 14 clod-hoppers, it puts me at the shoulder. It seems like the bigger, louder movements needed, from standing back, take away from a dog's focus.
    Last edited by kjrice; 03-13-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    Since that picture (a year ago), I have moved up and prefer it for the reason stated by Ted. I think my dog responds better to subtle movements and I have more control. I believe Hillmann stated "toes to nose" in his video. With my size 14 clod-hoppers, it puts me at the shoulder. It seems like the bigger, louder movements needed, from standing back, take away from a dog's focus.
    I got you covered pardner, you were much further up in this picture

All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    For me personally, if I had my dog out in front like photo set #2, I personally would feel out of control. Chris
    It's hard to drive a Bus or a car from the back seat. A person whose opinion you would respect stated that you have to be close to the dog to pull, pulling is much harder from the back seat for most of us.

Videos of you handling can be humbling but at the same time a good learning experience.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Videos of you handling can be humbling but at the same time a good learning experience.

Wayne, I can honestly say that I'd have not posted the videos at all if I'd not seen you have the guts to do it. I mean that sincerely.

I've gotten feedback on the stuff that bothered me. I've gotten feedback on some stuff I'd not thought of. I've gotten feedback on my butt and my brindle pit.

Overall, I'm very glad I posted the videos!