The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My first time seeing myself handle on video... links attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I do have to ask though
    Has anyone ever won an open with the dog in the butt/heel of foot position.?
    I could name several to whom "heel" was an unknown position much less sitting but think how much better they might have been

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    OK Chris, short retired but the dogs want to go left of some obstacle. Dogs that went left haven't been successful. Your dog wants to line up left. The hand drives them deep but emphasizes the right line. Whatcha do, hand or no hand?

In the past, I have used my hand to line them and then taken it away and stood up, trying not to loom over them which seems to pressure them driving them deep, waited them out making sure they're committed to the line and then send them soft. Does work ......... Sometimes

I wait for the ear flick........ when I get the ear flick, I've got it... (usually.... ). It means "I've heard you... now, just let me go..."

What is your "tell" sign on the committment Howard?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I don't have anything Susan. Or when I have, they've all done something I didn't expect. I used to wait for the lean in but that doesn't work. Now I wait, then wait some more then put my hand in and sent on the long ones. Short ones I stand back and watch and wait until I'm sure.

I've blown it a lot too.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

This is a GREAT thread!!! Trials are won and lost in that 3'X3' area. It's great to have folks with history and experience "discuss" the various nuances. This use to take years to learn/understand now in a few days the average Joe has a wealth of information.... Being able to apply it at the line under pressure .....Priceless
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Rosie looks like she is having such a grand time.....just look at that tail wagging!! Keep up on her training, Chris I think you'll learn lots in training her
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Thanks for sharing Chris

What kind of hunting is the trainer and the dog in the video trying to simulate? I have hunted all my life and have yet to have a that scenario pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by duckkiller View Post
    What kind of hunting is the trainer and the dog in the video trying to simulate? I have hunted all my life and have yet to have a that scenario pop up.
    Hi Captain Mike,

You got me there. Thanks for watching the videos.

I appreciated your email back in January. I have bumped you a copy of that with an updated reply.

Have fun with RTF and your dogs.

I wrote in one of the responses in this thread that I had two goals in this session that was videotaped (with my lab): work on head swinging, and work on retired guns. I was not in any way trying to simulate any kind of hunt. I was retriever training.

With my other dog, my goal was to simply go get Rosie out of the truck and have some fun since I had a willing gunner out there to throw some marks. Again, no hunting scenario claimed, nor implied. Just dog training...even with a pit! This was Rosie's second time ever picking up marks thrown by an assistant. It was Rosie's FIRST session working on steadiness....ever.

Do you run any hunt tests or field trials? Do you intend to?

Sincerely, Chris

P.S. that coat in my avitar picture...it's for dog training. When I hunt, I don't wear it. I do lots of things differently when I hunt than when I train.

Quote Originally Posted by duckkiller View Post
    You don't state your age so what folows is relative - there is a saying in the sport - I've never had my dog do that - followed by - well you won't be able to say that next time -

Stick around long enough you may get a .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Weather your high up on a dog or behind him,,,,as long as you are consistant at what your doing,,,the dog will figure it out. Each position has there advantages.
    I have no idea how people line /aim their dog looking straight down on it.

But then many don't understand how someone can easily move a dog from behind.

Chris
    What made Buses ears drop back,,,did you tell him to sit ,,,,?
    I thought you looked way better than what I would look like. I was impressed that you can stand up so quickly after squatting.

Pete
    Pete, I watched the video for Bus' ears and saw lots of ear movement on each retrieve setup. What is the timestamp that you're asking about? Also, you may be able to turn up your volume and actually hear whatever he heard.

I'm glad you asked this as I was not paying nearly as much attention to his head and ear position as I did as a result of this question.

Chris