The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70

Thread: My first time seeing myself handle on video... links attached.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Weather your high up on a dog or behind him,,,,as long as you are consistant at what your doing,,,the dog will figure it out. Each position has there advantages.
    I have no idea how people line /aim their dog looking straight down on it.

    But then many don't understand how someone can easily move a dog from behind.


    Chris
    What made Buses ears drop back,,,did you tell him to sit ,,,,?
    I thought you looked way better than what I would look like. I was impressed that you can stand up so quickly after squatting.

    Pete

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    On this crazy planet in N.E Texas
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    Veranda for me. This weather is just too nice.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

  3. #23
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I disagree.

    I prefer standing with my inside leg even with the dog's shoulder.


    I think that the dog is more cognizant of where you are and that small movements on your part can influence the dog when you stand more forward on the dog.

    Ted : just so I/we are talking about the same thing do any of these pictures depict which position you prefer

    Figure 1



    Figure 2



    Figure 3



    Figure 4






    photos are from my personal collection and are of Clint (w/Brig), KJ Rice(w/Dora), Don Remien( w/ Hank), Charlene Keoth( w/ Lil)...
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Aubrey TX
    Posts
    5,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Ted : just so I/we are talking about the same thing do any of these pictures depict which position you prefer

    Figure 1



    Figure 2



    Figure 3



    Figure 4






    photos are from my personal collection and are of Clint (w/Brig), KJ Rice(w/Dora), Don Remien( w/ Hank), Charlene Keoth( w/ Lil)...
    Ahhhh NO! Because none of them are at the shoulder...

    Angie

  5. #25
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Ahhhh NO! Because none of them are at the shoulder...

    Angie
    that was kind of the point of asking the question as opposed to these pictures where the handler is at the hip





    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  6. #26
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Nice Chris, only thing that stood out to me, was the quick send and we all do it, one of those thing I always have to think about myself. It was hard to tell in the video, but around the 2 minute mark, you gave a light stick correction and had the gunner pick up the mark, was the correction for the slight head swing??

    We had a golf course close up here a few years ago it was good for a couple years and then it got overgrown and unusable, but it was nice while it lasted..

    Yes Todd, the head swing was the exact reason for the tap (literally just a tap) with the stick and the pick up by Tim. It is also the reason I asked the short gun on the left to come out front and be more visible.

    This was the key thing I wanted to work on with that mark...look past the short gun. Watch the long gun....really watch the long gun. Do not head swing. And then I blew part of it by sending him so fast!

    I agree on the rushed sends and am not the least bit surprised that everyone saw it.

    I do appreciate everyone's commentary.

    I definitely need to do more video and do more self-analysis.

    Thanks everyone.

    Chris

  7. #27
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    I find that when my knee is at my dogs hip, my movements need to be larger, and I need to make more of an effort to get her attention. We work hard to keep her shoulder at my knee, and when we're successful, our movements are much more subtle and smoother.
    This is my experience

    As for Bon's photographs, I prefer the first set to the second set. By and large, I still prefer to be a bit more forward on the dog than it is depicted in the first set. However, the set up for a send after the first, often has other considerations
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  8. #28
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    I thought Chris' body position with the dog was perfect. (They get used to how they have been trained.) What I noticed is that Chris does not put his hand down on the longer retired gun on the double. He also seemed to turn off of the short retired gun on the set up where he made the big swing to get himself in position for the next mark, sooner rather than later. I usually count 2-3 seconds from the time the mark hits the ground... unless the count by the judges is quicker than that, of course. this coincides with the quick sends. But again, Bus is used to Chris' training methods...


    Loved Rosie.... but where is Violet?
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  9. #29
    Member PlushHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Decatur, Illinois
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Chris I will have my good camera up and ready soon we will get alot more quality videos of all the guys in the group. I like to use videos for my Archery form also this is one reason why I video tape about everything for critiquing.

  10. #30
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    This is my experience

    As for Bon's photographs, I prefer the first set to the second set. By and large, I still prefer to be a bit more forward on the dog than it is depicted in the first set. However, the set up for a send after the first, often has other considerations
    Thanks for answering Ted, I just wanted some clarification, Clint tells me I stand too far back too, he prefers the front shoulder like you do too..but in full disclosure, I know that only the first picture with Clint was a blind, the second set of pictures were all marks from the last series at RRiver, and I cant remember if the pics of Don,KJ and Charli were blinds or marks
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •