The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Joined my first club!

Default Joined my first club!

I met some if the nicest ppl at the Pin Oak HT two weeks ago. It was cold and rainy but several members took a LOT of time to explain things to me. I was amazed at how much interest they took in me..knowing I will be new to the game. This was the exact opposite of my last experience . Went to another club years ago and was NOT welcomed to say the least. It turned me off of the HT scene.

But I'm excited to have a group to train with. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by boykinhntr View Post
    I met some if the nicest ppl at the Pin Oak HT two weeks ago. It was cold and rainy but several members took a LOT of time to explain things to me. I was amazed at how much interest they took in me..knowing I will be new to the game. This was the exact opposite of my last experience . Went to another club years ago and was NOT welcomed to say the least. It turned me off of the HT scene.

Good deal! You'll find allhoses in all organizations, corporations, social groups etc. People are people. You'll find good folks in all of the same kinds of places.

There are usually folks out there who have "been there, done it", and therefore willing to pay it forward.

Congrats on finding some helpful folks. Now your task becomes one of filtering out the "helpful advice" from some who may have some kooky ideas, versus that which can really help you reach your desired goals.

Don't feel obligated to try everything that's suggested, as many times the ideas will contradict each other. You don't want a confused pup at the expense of trying to listen to helpful new friends.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I'm right there with you. I joined last year and those guys have answered every question I could throw at them. Glad you had a good time.
    "No man can be condemned for owning a dog. As long as he has a dog, he has a friend; and the poorer he gets, the better friend he has."
    - Will Rogers

Congrats! Im still looking to find my first club to join and its been an experience to say the least lol! Good luck in the future!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

You coming to the meeting tonight?

99% of the HRC people you will meet (from all clubs) are wonderful folks. Pin Oak is a very active club that I have heard great things about. Remember that you will get out of any endeavor just what you put in, so my advice is get active. You'll love it and have a better dog as a result.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Several very knowledgeable folks in that club. Enjoy.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.