The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog still won't eat, vets can't figure it out either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Trible View Post
    Where are you storing your food? Do you keep it in the original bag? Sometimes if you put the food in a different container, it will get a sour smell or taste from that container.
    its in the bag.
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

How awful to go through! I think I would be trying the raw suggestion right now. A quick trip to the grocery to buy one of those giant packs of frozen chicken pieces.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Adrenal gland function test?, possible atypical Addidon's disease

Sorry for your troubles. Yeah, I would give raw a try. Mix in some sardines. If he passes on all that, something is certainly wrong.

I cooked up some chicken breast for him, he eats that fine, and also put some leftover chicken noodle soup over his dry food, and then he ate his dry food. So its not like he wont eat any food at all, just his plain dog food.
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

Had the same trouble with my dog. Did a raw egg a day over dry dog food for about a week. And now for the first time ever she has an appetite and is back to eating dry food without the egg.Worked for me, have no idea why.

When I put the cut up chicken breast in with his dry food, he actually will sort the dry food out and spit it back out, just eating the meat
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

Quote Originally Posted by Perch_44 View Post
    i had originally posted about this last fall

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ad.php?t=78032

well, the problem still continues, unless i change his food every couple days, or change up what kind of soft food i mix in, he will not eat. and i'm talking, he has gone up to 6 days without touching his food. yet he still will run and act normal outside, gets excited for people over, etc.

hes now down to about 69 pounds(always maintained at 79-81 lbs) and starting to lose muscle mass.

i've had him to two different vets, both well recommended, and have had every test run on him that i can, they cannot find anything medically wrong with him. the last vet said it may be a psychologic disorder of some point, since we have our first child in the house, even though its been a year now.

he will sometimes eat ok for a couple days on his own, and then the only way i can get him to eat is by hand feeding him 1 kernel at a time, otherwise he will turn his nose away.

i've done the feeding pattern someone recommended on here, with giving him a short time to eat, and if he does not finish it, cut the next meal in half, etc. he simply just won't eat, and will go 6-7 days without eating.

exercise does not change anything either. last sunday, i had him out on the river with me, it was 8+ hours of him running on the islands, swimming, retrieving, chasing critters etc. I figured for sure he would eat that night - Nope, didn't touch his food at all, wouldn't even eat one piece.

he literally is wasting away before my eyes, and nobody can figure out whats wrong with him. it is embarrassing to take him on walks in the neighborhood because of all the looks and comments from people. you can see his entire rib cage, most of his spine, shoulders and hip bones, etc. he is actually getting "gross" and looks like something you see on those humane society commercials.

why would he starve himself like this?
    OK this is gonna sound a bit crazy however it worked for us.
    Start with some scrambled eggs (use water not milk) and add low fat cottage cheese, hand fed.
    After a bit get rid of the eggs and slowly mix the lowfat cottage cheese with kibble increasing the kibble at each meal and reducing the cottage cheese.
    I spent thousands trying to figure out why one of my labs suddenly would not eat. All we ever came up with was that he got an upset tummy, and then ended up with an empty stomach issue where there was just bile and everything turned his stomach. Some how low fat cottage cheese settled ok.
    Of course he was the one out of 4 labs that did not need to loose even a pound.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Oh, and he eats milk bones just fine.

I'm convinced my dog needs to be put on meds for his head...
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

Quote Originally Posted by Perch_44 View Post
    Oh, and he eats milk bones just fine.

I'm convinced my dog needs to be put on meds for his head...

Is it possible that the kibble you are giving him is just too rich for his system and he knows it?

When we tried to switch one of ours to a higher protien/ fat food because he was hard to keep weight on, no matter what brand we tried to switch him to by the time we reached the 50/50 mix in switch over he would refuse to eat the higher protien/fat food. He would grab a mouthful of the food, and spit it out on the floor. Then he would pick out the lower protien/fat food and eat that only. NOthing wrong with the other kibble as our other 3 labs would all eat it. I finally gave up and whenever he starts getting too thin I just have to give him a lunch as well as breakfast and dinner.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI