The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog still won't eat, vets can't figure it out either.

Quote Originally Posted by Perch_44 View Post

I'm convinced my dog needs to be put on meds for his head...
    Not a bad idea. There are meds out there for anxiety that have been used safely in dogs. No harm in trying if everything else checks out normal.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

sounds like me with a stomach ache. sounds like he will only eat something he thinks is special, A friend of mine had a lab pup that ate rocks, his intestines where plugged and gangrene started to set in, vet had to remove part of his intestines. in another episode, I saw it on tv they took out 2 1/2 bowls of rocks out of a dog. owner poored some grease from the bbq out on the rocks, dog thot it was dinner. xrays solved these
    too problems
    good luck

Did you see Post #13 from Dr. Ed? He asked about a specific test.

Janet
    JK'sboxofchocolates

SHR Diggs, Soul, Mooney and always HRCH Cinn SH 500 pt club (06/92 to 01/98), HR Rocks (09/99 to 05/04), HRCH UH Schooner SH 1000 pt club (11/95 to 11/07) and HRCH UH Wagars MH 1500 pt club (12/01 to 09/13).

Have you tried putting him into his crate with his food and leaving him alone for 1/2 hour? He might pick up you worrying about him eating and it might be making him uneasy....
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Adrenal gland function test?, possible atypical Addidon's disease
    What is the answer to Dr. Ed's question/suggestion?

Has the dog had an Adrenal gland function test?
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Perch 44,

Just curious, What dry food are you feeding now? What brands / formula have you tried in the past?
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

I've been dealing with this in my 1 year old as since about 10 months. When he stopped eating his Purina One Puppy I figured it was time to move onto PPP but the eating didn't improve. I can get him to eat if I compound the dry food with canned food or yogurt. I don't let him go more than a day and a half without eating. I will be trying to raw egg tonight. Other foods I've also tried at BillJack so he could put some weight on. His last puppy visit he weighed in at 74 lbs, and I went back for a possible ear infection two weeks ago and he was 73.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Sorry to hear, I know how frustrating this is. I went through this all last summer during the warm months. I was on PPP and during that time switched to Diamond Extreme Athlete which she is still on. After all the tests were done and $ spent with nothing found, I kept switching the different additives (chicken, rice, yogurt, etc) getting her only to eat a little or pick out what she wanted. I used to get so upset and just like during training sometimes, it is very hard to not show emotion even when you know you shouldn't. We fought and fought and I chose to sit there every meal and force feed her every meal one spoonful at a time followed by closing her mouth shut and having her swallow it. It was that or watch her wither away like you have. Around September, it went away and she ate fine on her own again...

The reason I write this now is in anxiety and fear that it is starting all over again! It has been very warm here the past couple days getting close to 80 and yesterday I noticed she ate her breakfast really slow. Today she left half of it and slowly finished it after I dumped the scraps of my sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich on top of it. I am a little scared right now and do not want to go through what I did last year, but it may be coming. I saw one post that suggested trying a less rich food - something with less protein/fat and possibly making up by adding extra chicken, etc. Have you tried this yet?

Good luck

Have you considered taking him to the Univ. of Minn veterinary teaching hospital? The vets at the schools are usually excellent at diagnosing the harder cases. You really owe it to your dog to get an answer. Sometimes regular vets are great at the normal stuff, but not on top of diagnosing the less common issues.

Meanwhile, if he'll eat chicken and such, maybe he needs a cooked diet for him to get some weight on. Chicken breasts or ground turkey (Costco has this really cheap) cooked up with rice can be made in big batches and frozen into individual portions. It's really not difficult to do until you get it figured out. Long term, you'd want to research a proper, nutritional mix if you go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyTudeOn4Feet View Post
    Have you considered taking him to the Univ. of Minn veterinary teaching hospital? The vets at the schools are usually excellent at diagnosing the harder cases. You really owe it to your dog to get an answer. Sometimes regular vets are great at the normal stuff, but not on top of diagnosing the less common issues.

Meanwhile, if he'll eat chicken and such, maybe he needs a cooked diet for him to get some weight on. Chicken breasts or ground turkey (Costco has this really cheap) cooked up with rice can be made in big batches and frozen into individual portions. It's really not difficult to do until you get it figured out. Long term, you'd want to research a proper, nutritional mix if you go this route.
    bet you that costco stuff is coming from china
    ron