The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Dog still won't eat, vets can't figure it out either.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    His stomach has to be messed up. Get him some good probiotics to get his stomach bacteria working properly and I bet the gas goes away.

like a good quality plain yogurt?
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

No to the yogurt. I had the same question and asked my Vet, he says our human yogurt has good bacteria for our human guts - which are totally different from a dog's gut. There is a powdered probiotic formula for dogs called FortiFlora. You sprinkle it on their food, or dissolve it in warm - not hot - water and put it down their throat with a syringe if you have to. They sell Forti Flora at most vet offices.

Jennifer

"If" probiotic is the way to go, our vet also steered us away from yogurt as many dogs are unable to properly digest milk based products. If you can't get the Forti-Flora (a Purina available through your vet) our vet suggested acidopholis capsules. It is a human probiotic capsule that you should be able to find at Walgreens or your local drug store.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

^ ^ let me guess, you bought FortiFlora from your vet after he/she told you that??

I added yogurt, even sour cream, and noticed a drop in gas from the dog. which reminds me, I need to pick up some more, tonight!!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Daniel, if it is my response above (^^) you are responding to ..... no I did not buy FortiFlora from the vet. I do have a dog that seems to have an issue with dairy products. My vet suggested acidopholis capsules which I can buy at our local drug store for approx. $11 for 180 capsules on sale. Gives me the probiotics my guys need at a reasonable price.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Sounds all very similar 'cept our GM had always been a finicky eater. Tried games with the older dogs hoovering around his food bowl to get him to eat before someone else got it. Mixed egg, canned food and whatever else we could think of and it worked for a few days, then nada.
    Switched to Wilderness brand a few months ago and pup is at full fighting wieght, wonderful coat and cleans his bowl w/o any fuss twice a day. It's not cheap, but given how much Pro Plan and canned food we were throwing away after sitting uneaten in the bowl, it's ok. Maybe pup just has a palate for certain foods. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Sounds all very similar 'cept our GM had always been a finicky eater. Tried games with the older dogs hoovering around his food bowl to get him to eat before someone else got it. Mixed egg, canned food and whatever else we could think of and it worked for a few days, then nada.
    Switched to Wilderness brand a few months ago and pup is at full fighting wieght, wonderful coat and cleans his bowl w/o any fuss twice a day. It's not cheap, but given how much Pro Plan and canned food we were throwing away after sitting uneaten in the bowl, it's ok. Maybe pup just has a palate for certain foods. Good luck.

i hope he's back to normal, and i like him eating the nutrisource as he always he always had good results with it, and is a good food in my opinion.

just need to clear up the paint peeling farts that he never had before. wife is about ready to make him live in the garage...
    Blazin' Rebel General
    "Jackson"

Keep the windows open and good luck with your pup.

Quote Originally Posted by jecartag View Post
    Here is a really good website that talks a little about Addison's Disease. Dr. Scot-Moncrief is an adrenal gland expert! Adrenal diseases can range from little/no functional secretion of hormones to secretion of too many hormones. Addison's disease is when there is insufficient release of hormones by the adrenal gland. At then end of her article, she talks about diagnosing Addisons and the different tests.

http://vetgrad.co.uk/show10MinuteTop...teTopUps&ID=51

Hope this helps!
    Jeremy, thanks for the link. I'm taking my 4 year old female in for this testing this week.
    Chris

You might want to ask your vet if Gas-x or Beano is safe for your dog until you can get his digestive tract used to food again.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home