The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lumps on head

Well, he is back from the vet and I don't know anymore than I did before. She said the lump does not "feel like" a tumor, there does not appear to be any sign of infection, when she inserted a needle there was no fluid to be drawn. She did suggest that we measure the lump with a pair of calipers daily to determine if it is in fact growing or changing. I guess thats all I can do besides keeping my fingers crossed that all is well.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Well at least it wasn't fluid filled... do you feed a grain free dog food? I've heard that some of the grains might contribute to an increase of fatty tumors. Could it be some sort of pressure spot. Does he rub his head on the top of the kennel...

Since the other one eventually dissolved, just keep an eye on it..
    Last edited by frontier; 03-20-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

He has eaten euk 30/20 most all of his life and never had any fatty tumors on his body anywhere. The only time he is in a kennel is the box on the truck and he can stand up without touching. I guess, we will be happy for what it does NOT look like and just keep an eye on it. Thanks all for riding with me on this.
    Carol,

Was ringworm considered or tested for? I have had a dog that had a lump on the head that the vet couldn't figure out until a second dog came down with a more typical presentation on her snout. A week of over the counter anti fungal and no more lump and hair grew back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    My 7 year old BLM has had a soft lump on his head, right over his right ear, for a couple of years. My old vet never seemed too concerned about it, said maybe some type of cellulitis. 1 year ago, the lump suddenly grew much bigger and pointier, (yes, the joke has been made about the horns sprouting) and the area was oozing and granulated. The vet I was using then shaved his head and called it an infected exema or something like that. We treated with a course of antibiotics, oral and topical. It got better, and the area returned to perfectly normal and flat for the first time in years.

Now a year later, Indy has a similar swelling on the OTHER side! This time the lump is growing over his left ear, on the flat part of his head. It is definitely getting "pointier" but no oozing or scabbing yet. Have ANY of you heard of something like this? I will take him to a vet here in Taos if it does start looking worse, but I know nothing about the vet here except that we went once for heart worm checks and meds when we first got here.

Indy is looking good in general, lots of energy, good appetite so I don't think this thing is causing anyone a problem but me. Dogs should not have lumps on their heads that I did not put!
    How strange you bring this up. I have my 7 yr old in having a "soft" bump removed from his forehead today. It began forming last summer after a tick bite and me not getting all of the critter out. Last week when I had him in for shots, my Vet did a needle draw on it and the fluid contained a lot of mast or basil cells, non malignant, but of enough concern that she wanted it gone. Sooooooooooo, he is getting his teeth cleaned, forehead shaved and the bump removed. She is going to look at it and if she feels the need send it to pathology.

Never caused him pain. Never even bothered with it. I would have a needle draw done and go from there.
    Last edited by Golddogs; 03-21-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

#6 or #2? Lead you might want to remove...steel will probably be ok..

Dogs can develop allergies at any time just like people. I now have a very allergic 9 year old chocolate Lab spayed female. Initially, she only had a minor ear infection once per summer. As she has gotten older and her immune system has weakened, she has even reacted the last 2 years to annual vaccinations. The last was so severe that I have decided at her age, she will get no more shots.She now reacts to most monthly topicals for flea/ticks. She now has recurrent bouts with skin bumps, ear infections, had an attack of vestibular syndrome last summer.

I only bred her once many years ago. Two of six puppies suffer from severe allergies. When I bred her the one and only time, she only had the "one-time" summer ear infection. I spayed her when the two owners reported to me about the allergy issues.

I wouldn't totally discount it as being a possible allergic reaction to something..especially since it has happened once before.
    Last edited by frontier; 03-21-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    How strange you bring this up. I have my 7 yr old in having a "soft" bump removed from his forehead today. It began forming last summer after a tick bite and me not getting all of the critter out. Last week when I had him in for shots, my Vet did a needle draw on it and the fluid contained a lot of mast or basil cells, non malignant, but of enough concern that she wanted it gone. Sooooooooooo, he is getting his teeth cleaned, forehead shaved and the bump removed. She is going to look at it and if she feels the need send it to pathology.

Never caused him pain. Never even bothered with it. I would have a needle draw done and go from there.
    See above. Vet did a needle draw and got nothing out. Just a mystery that I will have to follow closely. I'm thinking Terrie might be close with some type of allergy even though he never had a reaction to anything that I know of. I do know allergies can develop later in life in people!
    Carol,

Maybe it's just that his brain too big for his head and he is super smart!
    Stephen

Carol! You are supposed to use the 2x4 on the Chessie not Indy. lmao jk Glad all is well.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!