The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Poor Franco gdg

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Good read Franco.......some good points and some I'm not so sure about.

What do you think......

1)How pervasive is this level of "bounty" league wide? I certainly don't know at this point.....it will be interesting.

2)"IF" Payton's penalty is administered in full (and I don't believe that's a given) and "IF" the Saints do win it all (let's face it...they have a great team and 'WILL' be playing with a chip on their shoulder)....what does Benson do with Payton??? Bring him back or go with the new guy and save money?

3) And last......it appears to me that Goodell has really painted himself into a corner regarding the involved players. In his extreme effort to portray the league as a 'player safety' advocate.....what penalties are coming for those players involved?
    Let me just say again that I don't approve of any Bounty program and I am also upset with Peyton/Loomis for tarnishing whatever image the Saints have.

I think the penalities on Coach Payton were too harsh compared to what others have been punished for in the NFL. I doubt he will return for the 2013 season. Loomis thought the bounties ended after the 09 season and Payton didn't think it was that big of a deal because he knew that most other teams do the same in one form or the other. Maybe not administered by the DC but they all want to deliver "remember me shots". The Saints are talking with Parcells about coaching the entire 2012 season.

I expect LB Vilma to be fined heavily and suspended. Because of his knees, he was going to be released anyway to make cap room. It was Vilma that offered 10k of his own money to anyone that could knock Farve out of the game. Fujita was signed by the Browns after the 09 season. Porter just signed with the Broncos and I'm not sure who else might have been involved. Will D players now play with the thought that they can't make a big hit for fear of big fines? Probably so for all D players on every team.

I've been vocal here on RTF in the past about my concerns of the direction that Goodell is taking the NFL. No doubt that with the Class Action suits that he is over-reacting.
    Last edited by Franco; 03-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Let me just say again that I don't approve of any Bounty program and I am also upset with Peyton/Loomis for tarnishing whatever image the Saints have.

I think the penalities on Coach Payton were too harsh compared to what others have been punished for in the NFL. I doubt he will return for the 2013 season. Loomis thought the bounties ended after the 09 season and Payton didn't think it was that big of a deal because he knew that most other teams do the same in one form or the other. Maybe not administered by the DC but they all want to deliver "remember me shots". The Saints are talking with Parcells about coaching the entire 2012 season.

I expect LB Vilma to be fined heavily and suspended. Because of his knees, he was going to be released anyway to make cap room. It was Vilma that offered 10k of his own money to anyone that could knock Farve out of the game. Fujita was signed by the Browns after the 09 season. Porter just signed with the Broncos and I'm not sure who else might have been involved. Will D players now play with the thought that they can't make a big hit for fear of big fines? Probably so for all D players on every team.

I've been vocal here on RTF in the past about my concerns of the direction that Goodell is taking the NFL. No doubt that with the Class Action suits that he is over-reacting.

I listened to an interview this morning on ESPN radio with the play by play announcer for the Saints, probably the most level headed response since this whole fiasco started....he echoed most of your sentiments...He also pointed out that most of the 20 some odd players involved no longer play for the team or are even in the league. wow

there was also a report that Goodell was meeting with the NFLPA so that whatever action he takes is well within the parameters of the CBA, so that he doesnt have another Pac Man Jones situation on his hands...

The other thing he added was that the real villain in this case is Greg Williams, but unfortunately Payton will pay with his scalp too, and also for playing dumb instead of admitting to the coverup in his interview with the league..This announcer figures Williams will be a pariah and never coach again at the pro or college level....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The problem I have w/ the entire situation is not that the team was punished but that the punishment was extream in order to prove a point to a bunch of lawyers, and the saints just happened to be the scape goats. If your gonna be a hardliner, then do it accross the board.

Where was all this outrage and discipline when the pats cheated? When Plaxico B. shot his gun in a night club? When Ray Lewis was involved in a murder? When Big Ben was accused of TWO rapes?
    Or my favorite, where was all the hard core die hards when Vic, a sociopath who tortured, maimed, murdered and abused innocent animals all for money?
    Hell not only was he allowed back into the NFL after being a convicted felon, he got a pay raise (100million contract).

Dont get me wrong, they broke leage rules and got caught, there should be punishment but what they got is overkill IMO unless you are gonna be that harsh on everyone all the time. And that is clearly not the case.

Franco.......makes me wonder if a "type" of defensive player will be more sought after (cerebral/even keeled) in the future. You know this is going to change defenses at least to some degree if not to a very great degree.

I don't envy officials in years to come.......there are going to be some very unhappy fans when the outcome of games will be so heavily influenced by them......even more so then in the past. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Bon.... heard an interview with Adam Archuleta where he echoed sentiments about Williams. In a way it's sad that to a degree this is a progression that has blurred the lines.
    Last edited by dback; 03-25-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Franco.......makes me wonder if a "type" of defensive player will be more sought after (cerebral/even keeled) in the future. You know this is going to change defenses at least to some degree if not to a very great degree.

I don't envy officials in years to come.......there are going to be some very unhappy fans when the outcome of games will be so heavily influenced by them......even more so then in the past. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Bon.... heard an interview with Adam Archuleta where he echoed sentiments about Williams. In a way it's sad that to a degree this is a progression that has blurred the lines.
    Rules continue to favor the Offense and this situation will too. College is the NFL's farm system and I don't see that changing.

Might as well put a flag in thier belt and stop the tackling. Have the refs blow a whistle to end play when a D player gets within 3 yards of a QB. No contact with a receiver within 5 yards of the catch. No trap blocking or kickoff/punt returns. Just start play at the 35 yard line. We are already heading in that direction.

P S
    As you know, it is not just the O players that get hurt. I remember working with Dick Butkus his first year out of Football when he was the Saints' radio color broadcast analysis in 1976. He could barely walk then. I would suspect that over the years he has had all of his joints replaced.

For a modern day player making one to eighteen million a year, it comes with the territory.

One of our network sponsors was Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Everytime we played a Pabst commercial, he would turn to Play By Play announcer Wayne Mack and ask off mic, "does anyone really drink that crap"
    Last edited by Franco; 03-25-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

its being reported the Sean Payton has contacted Bill Parcells about coming in and taking over...couldnt think of a better choice
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    its being reported the Sean Payton has contacted Bill Parcells about coming in and taking over...couldnt think of a better choice
    The sporting press must not read POTUS Place because I reported it Saturday on post #41

It is a difficult option because Aaron Kroner OL & running game coach deserves it. Kroner has been with the team for 5 years and has built what some analysis consider to be the best O line in the game. He did it with late round picks and free agents. One way or another, Kroner will be a HC soon. He has told Sean that he is not campaigning for the job but that doesn't mean he doesn't want it. He feels he has earned it and OC Carmichael wants to concentrate on the O. Kroner reminds me of the 49er's and Raven's headcoaches.

I like the idea of Parcells for one season but not at the expense of running Kroner off after the 2012 season. I wouldn't be upset if they made Kroner HC on a perminent basis. He's young, energetic, very smart, knows our O and is well established within the club.

Last edited by Franco; 03-26-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The sporting press must not read POTUS Place because I reported it Saturday on post #41

It is a difficult option because Aaron Kroner OL & running game coach deserves it. Kroner has been with the team for 5 years and has built what some analysis consider to be the best O line in the game. He did it with late round picks and free agents. One way or another, Kroner will be a HC soon. He has told Sean that he is not campaigning for the job but that doesn't mean he doesn't want it. He feels he has earned it and OC Carmichael wants to concentrate on the O. Kroner reminds me of the 49er's and Raven's headcoaches.

I like the idea of Parcells for one season but not at the expense of running Kroner off after the 2012 season. I wouldn't be upset if they made Kroner HC on a perminent basis. He's young, energetic, very smart, knows our O and is well established within the club.

Not to mention he understands the intricacies of a compex bounty system Would be a smooth transition...
    Bill Davis

Again I say poor poor Franco..........at least you got LSU.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Again I say poor poor Franco..........at least you got LSU.
    Still a lot of season left to the NFL

This was Aaron Kroner's chance to shine, looks like he can't handle the duties.