RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Friend Seeking a Boykin Spaniel: Need suggestions!

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  mattm337 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Just wanted to see if any of you new of could recommend a breeder of Boykin Spaniels as I have a close friend that is ready to commit to a new dog. He wants a pup, and the pup will not only be a member of the family but a dog that hunts quite often. Thank you for your help!!

#2 ·
#10 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies! We are located in Illinois, northeast corner of the state. This particular friend will drive wherever he needs to for the right pup. As a lab and GSP guy, I know nothing about the bloodlines and characteristics of the Boykins. I know they are hardy dogs, really driven hunters, and full of go. I welcome any and all suggestions of breeders and thanks again!

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies! We are located in Illinois, northeast corner of the state. This particular friend will drive wherever he needs to for the right pup. As a lab and GSP guy, I know nothing about the bloodlines and characteristics of the Boykins. I know they are hardy dogs, really driven hunters, and full of go. I welcome any and all suggestions of breeders and thanks again!
Some are "hardy" but there is a high incidence of hip dyplasia in the breed, rated at #14 in incidence by OFA, and a number of other health issues. Hereditary eye issues as well, Exercise Induced Collapse, epilepsy, skin allergies, patella and heart issues. Be sure to purchase from a breeder who is health testing parents. There are many many breeders out there selling pups from parents that do not even have a minimum OFA hip clearance. Also, be sure you understand the contracts. Some breeders maintain all breeding rights and require co-ownerships. Caveat Emptor when it comes to purchasing a Boykin Spaniel.

#15 ·
I'm partial to the Chief line and Dan Reel. My Chief pup just won the Reserve JAM in the BSS Nationals puppy group at 8 months old!

#18 ·
I believe I've said elsewhere that it would be tough to go wrong with a Boykin from Brandywine Creek. At one point in the past couple of years, they had nearly 20% of all the Boykins that had Finished titles. As a side note, Brandywine dogs took 1st-3rd place at the Boykin Spaniel Society National Field Trial last weekend in the Open stake. They are very diligent in obtaining the necessary health clearances and, I believe, all of their breeding stock is EIC clear.

I own a Boykin and would be happy to provide some more info if you want to PM me with other questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.