The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GSA's $820 million Conference

I hope they look into the spending of ALL gov agencies. The picture of Jeff (GSA) sitting in the tub with two glasses of wine is priceless! They all need to be fired, what a joke!
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

The latest news... did I hear it correctly?

That the fellow who had Jeff Neely's job as Western Region Director before Neely got the job was fired because he embezzled GSA funds?

If this is correct, it seems to me that the person responsible for watching the directors of these regions should have been watching the activities of the Western Region Office (San Francisco) a lot more closer than they did.

It would be interesting to see some sort of GSA organization chart showing who the GSA region directors are supposed to be reporting to.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    It would be interesting to see some sort of GSA organization chart showing who the GSA region directors are supposed to be reporting to.
    Helen
    To answer my own question, I Googled "GSA organizational chart" and up it came. There are 9 regions; each has a regional director. It appears that there is no office/no person in between the directors and the top GSA office holder which is the GSA Administrator. There is a GSA Deputy Administrator and she is Ms. Brita who was the whistle blower.

I am wondering how much oversight there has been on the operations of these regional directors. Is Neely the only bad apple or are there more out there? The GSA Administrator (Ms. Johnson) who resigned over this has said that when she came to the position, that things were running a lot differently than years before. She implied that the western region was running amock. Why was it allowed (i.e. tolerated) by her ? As GSA Administrator, she had the position to stop abuses. She said she is sorry that she has lost her position, but not sorry she recommended Neely receive a $9,000 pay increase?

I am glad she is gone. She looked the other way.

If I misinterpreted the GSA organizational chart, let me know.

Helen
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.

I am wrong. I have been bouncing around the net trying to find out exactly what Jeff Neely's position was. I found that he is being referred to as being a "commissioner".

The Western Region Director is Ruth Cox who approved Neely's $9,000. bonus (or some say it was a pay increase) and sent it up to GSA Administrator Johnson who gave final approval.

Somewhere in all of this Western Region Director Cox should be on the hot seat.

Helen

Now the 9th Circuit judges are planning a "conference" in Hawaii that will cost taxpayers around a cool $1 million. This is a west coast circuit. Surprised there isn't a mainland location that could serve their purposes. There's always Las Vegas
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

LOL! The GSA isn't the only one to spend Fed $ in Vegas.
    http://nation.foxnews.com/teachers/2...ers?intcmp=fly
    The problem is that the $32,000 came from a $4.4 million federal fund dedicated to improving two low-achieving schools within the Waterloo district. The Des Moines school district also received aid from the fund.
    Perhaps this helps us better understand why we keep throwing more money to "improve" education, and yet the students' achievement levels have not gotten higher. The lack of control with Fed $ spread all over creation leads to abuse and misuse of these funds. When the $ is not seen as coming directly out of the local taxpayers' pockets, there is less care with how it is spent. If this was not Fed funds could you imagine the uproar from the taxpayers asking for these guys to reimburse the school district(s)?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I am a Federal employee (I know that will taint my credibility on here) so I have first hand experience with GSA. GSA like mentioned above is the real estate agent, car lease co, and general store for federal agencies. We are required to use them for office space, cars, and at least attempt to use GSA suppliers for other items before we go outside the system.

They are a large agency that affects every Federal agency including defense. In my opinion, it was created to ensure that other agencies were procuring items properly (not sending all the cars to cousin Roy's auto for $100 oil changes once a month, etc.) and to ensure good prices with volume buying power. Like anything else it has gone south (road to hell paved with good intentions fits well here).

Now, they are just another time consuming hurdle to me doing my job. Due to the time delays their suppliers usually charge more than open market.

The vehicles are the worst deal going. Our office has 2 cars, 3 suvs, and a half ton truck. We are charged a monthly lease rate, plus mileage, plus repairs. We are told when we can get oil changes (10-15K miles), when we can get new vehicles, never know exactly what we are getting until it arrives, and have to ask permission to get repairs authorized which comes out of our budget.

The GSA rate for the lease and mileage make it about double what you can lease a comparable vehicle for. We moved offices last year. The process took approximately 16 months. Then we didn't have internet at the new site for a month, phones for 3 weeks. Twice a day I would walk across the street to the college and check email.

Just give me a budget for the year and tell me how many vehicles I can have, I can handle the leasing myself. Also, for office supplies etc, Office Depot, Amazon, and Grainger aren't that complicated.

GSA at it again they spent 270k on a one day conference when will this stop?
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    GSA at it again they spent 270k on a one day conference when will this stop?
    this kind of stuff is what has every TAX PAYING American up in arms. The abuse runs rampant throughout. I doubt the GSA will be discussed by the boys fishing Little Wewoka Creek today.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

As the investigation continues, they keep finding more "dirt". The GSA, with 1% of Fed employees, is gobbling up 10% of employee bonuses ... to the tune of $44,000,000 in the most recent year. Some employee got $115,000 in OVERTIME, when his/her base salary was $84,000/year ($42/hour) With the overtime, the base was more than doubled. Wonder if the overtime was for time spent at some of those nifty conferences?

Seems they keep uncovering more stuff as they dig deeper. Could this be part of why Holder doesn't want anyone digging deeper into the Fast & Furious debacle?

At the moment GSA has cancelled 37 conferences that were previously scheduled.

At one controversial conference held in suburban Washington in 2010, more than 3,700 employees received bonuses averaging about $1,000 apiece at the conference. The cost to taxpayers was $3.6 million.

Wonder what they did that was exceptional to merit bonuses?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com