The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: goose decoys

Quote Originally Posted by troy schwab View Post
    You know your from the south when you use flocked decoys.......LOL Bring them up here, and you'll throw them in the trash after two Dec- Jan hunts......lol We use them early season, but for the most part, we run painted.
    Why do y'all run painted? I know those big geese aren't the brightest, but those non flocked decoys really have a shine to them in the sun...especially on frosty/snow morning.

Yes I'm from Texas, but I hunt in Saskatchewan Sept-Oct and Arkansas Nov-March.

Y'all have problems with the flocking coming off in the extreme cold temps?
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Homburg View Post
    I like my Dave Smith Decoys and have had good luck with them.

Aaron
    Their specks are SWEET!

Buy me a few doz would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhead Smacker View Post
    Why do y'all run painted? I know those big geese aren't the brightest, but those non flocked decoys really have a shine to them in the sun...especially on frosty/snow morning.

Yes I'm from Texas, but I hunt in Saskatchewan Sept-Oct and Arkansas Nov-March.

Y'all have problems with the flocking coming off in the extreme cold temps?
    Shine is sometimes a problem, and no the flocking holds up great.... but we get over 140" of snow each year. The snow sticks to flocking like white on rice...... I have had hunts where we are cleaning the painted dekes every ten minutes, with a snow brush..... it just builds up in the flocking.... real pain in the arse..... ive seen flocked dekes entirely cased in ice after our hunts..... seriously. We only use them if there is absolutely no threat of snow..... which is pretty much never for the bulk of our season.....LOL
    SHR Presque Isle Jaeger Schwab JH (driving the bus)

I agree with Aaron DSDs all the way. Yes they are expensive but you don't need as many.If you need large numbers get Real Geese ( I still have my Outlaws however) and use the DSDs for your kill hole.
    Besides Dave is a nice guy.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by troy schwab View Post
    Shine is sometimes a problem, and no the flocking holds up great.... but we get over 140" of snow each year. The snow sticks to flocking like white on rice...... I have had hunts where we are cleaning the painted dekes every ten minutes, with a snow brush..... it just builds up in the flocking.... real pain in the arse..... ive seen flocked dekes entirely cased in ice after our hunts..... seriously. We only use them if there is absolutely no threat of snow..... which is pretty much never for the bulk of our season.....LOL
    Hell I just thought that hunting in the snow sucked regardless of what decoy you have? Hunting snows in AR over FB's in the snow two CO's ago really sucked too. Those decoys aren't flocked and the snow was all over them. I tried to avoid snow at all costs...I just wish my sports had the same mindset that I do.

Up here in Nodak we hunt fields a vast majority of the time for honkers especially.

If you're hauling gear and hunting more than a few weekends out of the year, no decoy will beat a Bigfoot. They take huge amounts of abuse and their paint is molded into the body so they really take the abuse.

Early in the season, silhouettes will work really well but the cheapies are going to shine a lot so the RealGeese Pro 2's are definitely the only brand I'd go with for those.

There's no way I'd ever own a fully flocked decoy unless you're barely using them and you're willing to spend an extra couple hours setting up and tearing down to double bag them and I'd never consider them if you ever hunt frosty mornings or days when snow is flying as they're absolute garbage in those situations.

Plenty of my buddies have been using Dakota's the last few years and they've really liked them. They hold up to a lot of abuse, they look solid in a field and a lot of poses are nice on heavily pressured birds. Their motion system is probably the best in the market because they're not going to wabble and shake like crazy in stronger winds but they still move a little in lighter winds.

DSD's are way too expensive for the normal hunter, bar none. They're sexy as hell but the amount of babying you need to do with them and the second mortgage are not worth it in my opinion. And people saying you need to use less of them, I don't agree with that. In heavy pressured areas, numbers of decoys are needed and how they look up close doesn't happen to the birds until they're in close and you're not going to decoy hesitant birds with fewer decoys. Yes they'll possibly finish better but a fancy looking decoy is a very small part of finishing birds.

I'm looking forward to the new Dakota's coming out. From what I've heard, they're one piece, so no heads falling off, and their bodies are cast with the paint in them and the plastic is flexible. Those 2 things that make Bigfoots so dang reliable but in the better look and some motion that Dakota has made for themselves.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Jim,no experience with the X's,I have hunted over the FA's and everything else.
    IMO you can do well with any of the latest fullbodies,mostly a personal preference thing. Pick the one you like and go for it.
    I wouldn't be without fullbodies,but I also wouldn't be without RG II's.
    For me, I do just fine running RG 1/2 to 2/3rds of the season. The other 1/2 to 1/3 of the season I'm either mixing the 2,fullbodies alone or also adding sleeper shells late in the year.
    So you think the dog thing is addictive,wait till you get going with the geese.
    By the way, what are you running now for dekes?

Vinny

I'm looking to upgrade my decoys. I have 4 dozen full bodies made by sport plastics. They have the metal stake that goes through the body into the ground, and 2 dozen flambeau shells... looking to get 2 dozen full body, 2 dozen shells and 2 dozen silos... Thanks for all the input...Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Jim,as I've said I've had or hunted over alot of the decoys out there.Looking at what you have now and that your looking to upgrade ,here's what I think,for what it's worth.
    Overall the RG II's are the best bang for the buck.
    I'dd be glad to give you alot more info about goose dekes and my reasons if your interested.Gotta do it on the phone, can't peck away all night,but I sure can talk,esp. about goose hunting.
    Shoot me your # in an email or Pm if ya want. Or hook me on the Refuge,Vinnydeadeye
    Vinny
    vinnydeadeye21@aol.com

Hey Vin, you and Jim might actually be able to share a beer at the summer shoot!