The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Scenting Dove

Default Trouble Scenting Dove

I have been out dove hunting several times lately and my dog is not having any trouble finding the birds that fall where he can clearly see the fall, but if they fall in thick brush or heavy grass, he is having a pretty hard time. He seems not to scent them. I went out to help him look for several birds and on at least two occasions saw him pass right over a bird only a few inches away, with his nose down, and not find the bird. Anyone else see this with dove? He doesn't seem to have any real trouble finding the doken dove dummy when thrown in heavy cover and one would think that a real dove would have more scent than a plastic one.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Yes. Both of mine I have used on dove fields have had more trouble than they did with ducks.

There are a few tracking books which cover scenting in great detail. Can't recall the book I have packed away however a good chapter on scenting and conditions which effect the K-9 nose and variable conditions is a good read for any retriever person. Also, other reads on how growth stages and seasons affect the scent produced by fowl. Moltings and weather etc. doves in general don't carry much scent.

Sometimes birds are "wind washed" on the fall and the dogs can't smell them for a period of time. I have experienced this with ducks a few times.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Every dog I have owned has experienced a hard time scenting dove at one time. I always blamed it on the heat and excessive panting. Hard to smell when mouth breathing with a tongue stuck out mimicking Gene Simmons of KISS. One dog even stepped on a dove in full hunt mode without finding it. Bringing in a fresh dog always solved the problem.

If it was one of those "can't keep my gun loaded" shoots then that may explain the phenomenon. If not I may need to develop a new theory.
    Mark Land

I don't dove hunt but as far as duck go, they are stinky beasts. I would guess doves, not so much.
    It will help if you keep the dog's nose moist. A bucket of water to drink or splash in his face should help.
    Don

Humidity in the air and air pressure has much to do with it. Ever light a fire on a very crisp cold night with high pressur and no wind? The smoke (heat signature from down game)is thin and goes straight into the atmosphere. Light the same fire on a cool evening with low pressure and the smoke barely rises and trails around at head level with the slightest breeze. An old field trialer said he often smoked just to gauge the air conditions. Well, a little more polluted maybe but it can give you an idea of what the bird scent is doing.

Also, doves regularly dust themselves which further masks their scent

Bringing in a fresh dog always solved the problem
    Bet it was a golden...........
    HRCH Wind River's Frisky Whisky SH WCX - Thanx for the memories my friend
    HRCH UH Red Devil's Risky Rascal WCX
    HR Red Devil's Wild Wind River
    SHR Red Devil's Ready Freddie
    SHR Red Devil's Lambeau Leap
    SHR YRP Grand Chien's Chase the Sunset

Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    Bet it was a golden...........
    Don't own such an animal. I will admit to being impressed by the smaller, red version of the breed. Maybe one day.
    Mark Land

Give him some drills using dead doves in tall grass. Could be he just needs more experiance with them.