The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a pup and in what order

Default What do you look for in a pup and in what order

And maybe you all can suggest more qualities I haven't considered. But here is my list (and the way I define the terms) in no particular order:

Drive (not an indifferent molecule in his/her body. Wants the retrieve more than anything else at that moment, implies intensely focused power.)

Style (see "drive" above but add a thrill to watch)

Tenacity (doesn't hold a grudge. Wants to work even after receiving a correction. Not a drama queen)

Trainability (very much connected to tenacity above... but add a genuine desire to please)

Good looks (a dog that has the chiseled labrador head and an athletic body)

Off switch (can relax when appropriate)

Solid health (obviously)

Superb marker (That part of marking that is hard-wired... the neurological eye-brain connections)

Good nose

Water lover ("aquatic")

"Sagacity" (smarter than his/her handler)

I'm not sure in what order I'd put these. I am picking forum members' brains pre-emptively. One of my old boys won't be with us for much longer and I'm trying to keep my eye on the future. When the time comes I'd like to know which studs throw pups with the best assortment of the best genetic gifts.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PS: I would hazard a guess that this is well plowed ground on this forum, but as seasons come and go, particular lines emerge as true winners. I'm not familiar with the most sought after studs... so if you have some ideas...

Natural marking ability.
    Bottom.

Neither one can be trained in, and neither one can be witnessed in a puppy.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 04-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Natural marking ability.
    Bottom.

Both can be diminished, even destroyed with poor training, but you can't create what God didn't put there.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

What you've listed is great. It's what most want. Now all you've got to do is try to predict which mating will produce that and be able to pick "the one" in that litter that has most of what you want at 7-8 weeks old.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I guess an even better question would be "which of these can you determine a 7-8 wk old pup has or doesn't have?"

I think this is why a solid evaluation of the parents is important, but it's still a gamble!

Another good question would be "Which of these can be trained in & which cannot be?"
    -Barton Ramsey

Natural marking ability.
    Bottom.

I know a couple of guys who won the whole enchilada that would disagree with your opinion .

But as Howard said there are lots of folks who know how to diminish what the pup starts with.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I know a couple of guys who won the whole enchilada that would disagree with your opinion . .
    Nobody ever won anything, with a dog that couldn't naturally mark, and/or didn't have a whole lot of "try" in it's DNA.

I think all of those traits are what you want in a dog, but hard to see those in an 8 week pup. I'm sure all of the members on this forum are far more experienced than I when it comes to picking a pup. As much as we all want the best pup out of the litter, I'm sure there is usually more than one pup that could be developed into a winner.

Nobody ever won anything, with a dog that couldn't naturally mark, and/or didn't have a whole lot of "try" in it's DNA.
    If you have a 1st & last name I'll check my database & see if you have any pelts . There are a lot of dogs with what you describe in their DNA, bringing it to the level it is useful is another major step.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    If you have a 1st & last name I'll check my database & see if you have any pelts . There are a lot of dogs with what you describe in their DNA, bringing it to the level it is useful is another major step.
    He's an HRC guy Marvin. He doesn't want to put his name out there, but I do know who he is, and who he trains with since he's in my area. Not what you and I would consider "pelts".... He just talks. He has obviously read Lardy's material, But there are holes in his "talking" - I just read his stuff for amusement, and sit back and hope some newbie doesn't think he's right.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com