The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyme disease

Angry Lyme disease

It's been quite some time since I last visited this forum. I just spent the last couple of hours viewing the last few day's threads and it was somewhat like homecoming. It was good to see so many of the old names still in the game. ( hey Ken, freeze any hot water lately?) And it's always good to get acquainted with the newbies. I wish you all good luck in your journey.
    I post this as a heads-up. My 10 year old female golden, SH, has always been a lady at the table. She would often skip a feeding (fed twice a day with Iams) but this past winter I noticed a little weight loss so we started sweetening the pot a little with some broth or what have you. Recently, she began vomiting from time to time, but it was not her normal MO. We went with the burger and rice routine and phased in a different food and got her to the vet a couple of weeks ago to address it. This is also the time of the year that she gets her annual grease, lube and filter. When they ran the blood screen for heart worm they also checked for Lyme disease and she tested positive. They put her on Doxycyline Hyr. right away and drew more blood to run the titer at Cornell and it came back at about 6800.
    We are in Monroe County, upstate NY. From the time she was a year old for probably 5 or 6 years we used Advantix from April through November, then for whatever reason didn't use it for a few years. No fleas, no ticks, no problems - until now. It's not a problem that you want. Our vet said that confirmed cases were up dramatically over the past.
    Now, if I hadn't made myself a stranger here, I would probably have known that. Last spring I played host to a couple of the demonic little bustards, something that was never common in our neighborhood and I think Daisy picked hers up in November on the hiking trails here in town. Regardless, protect your pups. They depend on you, and I feel like I let mine down.
    Ya'll have a good 2012 season!
    Hoping for a happy outcome regards.

I hope your girl will be feeling better soon. Doxy seems to work quickly. Lyme Disease can be a nasty bugger. 10 years ago in Vermont Lyme disease, and ticks, wasn't even on the radar. Within the last ten years it has taken hold and is now an epidemic. Three of my four dogs have tested psotive for Lyme but all have been asymptomatic. We have used Frontline religiously but now only use it at those times of the year when ticks are most prevalent, like now. Don't really believe the stuff works.

With your girl, at ten years old, you start to watch for changes in behavior and don't rule out all manner of ailments. We watch all of ours closely just to nip a problem in the bud. Knock on wood, they've been few and far between.

Good luck!
    Mark

I recently had one with anaplasmosis (another tick borne disease). And he was on meds all year round, so no need to beat yourself up...

I will say that i also have had one with lymes, and have done quite a bit of reading about TBDs. I tend to give the doxy a little "longer and stronger" like 400 mg for 2 weeks, 800 for 2 weeks, 400 for 2 weeks, then every Friday, Saturday and sunday for the next 3-4 weeks (term it "Pulsing" on the weekends). I've not had recurrences of the symptoms this way. When doing just the 10 day protocol, I've had friends with recurrences.

just a thought. Don't know what TBDs are like in your area- they are quite prevalent in Wisconsin...
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Went through it last year. We are awlays prompt on his heartworm flea and tick juice and yearly vet visits. One day he just shut down and off to the vet. Strict regiment of doxy and we were back at it. A month later blood work was clear.

What are some of the symptoms you look for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lee View Post
    recurring lameness due to inflamed joints (mine did not exhibit this), Walking with an arched back, lethargic, weight loss to name just a few. Untreated, or treated too late can to kidney failure. If you Google it, you'll see many different symptoms explained better than I can. Routine inspection will reveal if your dog is playing host to ticks. (Same with yourself). If you get nailed, a halo will appear around the site of the bite. If you pull any off of yourself, it would be wise to put the tick in a little container filled with rubbing alcohol just in case you need to access it. A tick can be carrying the bacteria, but not pass it on to its host. It's something we just didn't have to be concerned with when I was a kid.
    That's why I give vets so much credit. Their patients can't tell them what is wrong. In a young dog lameness can mean panosteitis too, as well as a number of other ailments. Seek the help of the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lee View Post
    I noticed mine was "methodical" when going to the line at a field trial. and, his training was a little "different"... nothing glaring.... if I notice a change like that, I always run the blood work. And a round of doxy will never hurt them even if the tests show nothing. with the way a lot of our dogs travel, you may be looking for a needle in a haystack to find the correct tbd. If you see improvement in their behavior, you probably had a tbd.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

My 7 yr old YLF was just diagnosed with it this weekend.

Went out shed hunting with my wife and the dog two weeks ago. Didn't think anything of ticks since it was so early in the year so we failed to check the dog over when we got home.

About a week went by and we found one on her about the size of a cracked sunflower seed. Checked her over really good and didn't find anymore and applied a fresh dose of Frontline. The next day we were training and the wind pushed her hair just the right way on the way back with a bumper and I saw a dark spot. Sure enough it was another one. Checked her over again and found another one under her collar about the same size as the other two.

Gave her a bath and found one more.

This was crazy. I have only found two growing on her in her whole life and to find 4 in one week was crazy.

Then about 3 days later we noticed she wasn't excited when we can home like she normally was and had her tail between her legs ect. She was laying on the floor shivering (which she does sometimes) Didin't think too much of it until the next morning when she wouldn't eat her food. Which was really weird. That night when I got home from work she wouldn't eat again unless I fed it to her by hand. I got her to eat all her food though.

That night I was meeting some friends in town so I put her in the kennel until my wife came home from work a few hours later. My wife came home and let her out and she couldn't get up on her back legs (looked alot like a lot of 12-13yr old dogs look) and was walking with her back arched and tripping over her own feet because she couldn't lift them high enough. She also had this little cough deal like she had something stuck in her throat and would dry heave.

My wife called the emergency vet line (after some quick online searches about lymes disease) and they said bring her in tommorow morning. Brought her in saturday morning and bingo lymes.

We have been giving her the pills since saturday afternoon and tonight is tuesday and she is already back to normal. Running, jumping, eating and acting all normal.

She is on 100 MG of doxycycline twice daily and a 1/2 tablet of Rimadyl twice daily.

Hopefully it all clears up well.
    Settyconstruction.com

A good friends lab was just diagnosed with Lyme. His dogs symptoms were dramatic. Extreme joint soreness, a high energy dog that went to zero drive in a day. Dog was on Revolution. I am not familiar with Revolution and it's claims. He thought he had his bases covered. As a result I am looking into vaccinating for Lyme. Neither of the vets that I use has ever offered it.

I have always worried about Lyme and I live in the Rochester, NY/Souther Tier area also.

Now I am getting worried, I have seen more lameness in my 10 year old CLF, esp. in her rear end. I was thinking it was just age, as if she wants to retrieve, she "comes alive" so to speak. I have always vaccinated my dogs against Lyme but I think I forgot too last year. Does anyone know if you miss a year do you have to do the booster again? (I asked this same question on the other thread also.

Earlene